Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Who's removed their ABS system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 07:41 PM

nevermind, I got rid of the brake booster, abs, everything. i dont really care for the whole setup on our cars anyway

I'm runnin a manual mc, no booster (duh), new lines, line lock, blah blah blah...all the other cool goodies.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:27 PM

What is the difference between a master cylinder with or without the booster? I have heard of people having problems producing enough vacuum and having problems with there brakes.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:36 AM

Good thread guys. This is on my list of "things to do".

TonyJ, how much did that Summit valve run you?

smoknta- the main reason for switching from a vacuum assisted mc to a manual it just what you said. A vacuum assisted one will not rob horse power, but if you have engine mods that limit your vacuum then you may have brake problems. The easiest solution is to change out the mc for a manual one and never worry about stopping again.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:53 AM

SUM-G3905 - Summit Brake Proportioning Valve - $39.99
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=proportioning

SUM-760000 - Summit Line Lock Kit - $89.95
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=SUM%2D760000

These go on sale ocasionally because they are Summit-branded. Those are current prices. I don't remember what I paid.

TJ
Old 03-27-2004, 08:14 AM

Thanks I just found it there myself. I have to make a deposit to Summit in the near future anyway so I will probably add that to the list. I already a lock, I'm just going to put the car on a major diet and toss out anything that isnt used for racing.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by Projectz28

smoknta- the main reason for switching from a vacuum assisted mc to a manual it just what you said. A vacuum assisted one will not rob horse power, but if you have engine mods that limit your vacuum then you may have brake problems. The easiest solution is to change out the mc for a manual one and never worry about stopping again.
exactly...sorry it took my awhile top respond back. but you should look into doing the manual mc if your dieting the car. its not that hard, just time consuming.

what kinda cam u runin'?

Last edited by LT1 Bunny; 03-27-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:47 AM

Im running a CC305 (220/230). I have no problems with vacuum. As the car sits it will still pull 16" vacuum. I know its time consuming to convert, and I will be honest I am not oposed to switching to a manual mc. But for the time being I am just going to ditch the ABS. I dont have a bar yet... so untill that goes in everything has to stay in the car. After that I can start dumping stuff I dont need.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:28 AM

It's really unreal how much space it opens up when you remove the ABS. It starts to look like an old-school engine compartment, where you can just reach in and do plugs. The PA k-member had the same effect. They spoiled me so much I was tempted to remove the A/C to make it as open on the other side...

But, since mine is still a street car, I came to my senses. Don't believe what everyone says about Boulder summers being nice and cool...

It was tempting, though...
Old 03-28-2004, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by TonyJ
It's really unreal how much space it opens up when you remove the ABS. It starts to look like an old-school engine compartment, where you can just reach in and do plugs. The PA k-member had the same effect. They spoiled me so much I was tempted to remove the A/C to make it as open on the other side...

But, since mine is still a street car, I came to my senses. Don't believe what everyone says about Boulder summers being nice and cool...

It was tempting, though...
These cars have much more room once you get rid of the stuff you can live without. Relocate the radiator forward and you'll have even more room (in the front).

You're right - weight reduction is very addictive...

Ryan
Old 03-28-2004, 08:56 AM

How'd you move the radiator forward? Do you have any pics? With my Cog setup I have zero room up front and it make belt changes a bit<h... Stock radiator or Becool? Damn... Don't tease me!
Old 03-28-2004, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by TonyJ
How'd you move the radiator forward? Do you have any pics? With my Cog setup I have zero room up front and it make belt changes a bit<h... Stock radiator or Becool? Damn... Don't tease me!
You'd probably have to ditch the a/c because of the condensor. You can cut the frame rail crossover and inch it forward. Here's a couple pics:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...99366532ByCBmY

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...99350053BOJbHh

You could also use a "push" fan setup over the stock "pull" type. Lots of room to gain .

btw - very nice ride .

Hope this helps,
Ryan
Old 03-28-2004, 09:16 AM

Holy snikies, batman! That's the first time I've seen yours...

Wow!

I see in the second pic you fabbed a brace for the frame rail. That would be my only real concern... Damn another reason for losing the A/C...

That looks like a becool in yours. Is it the 4th gen/no tranny cooler version?

Thanks, TJ
Old 03-28-2004, 09:23 AM

Oops, just noticed the tt big block isn 't yours... I'm looking through the other pics there now. Some really nice rides!

That's quite a FI setup on yours.

Last edited by TonyJ; 03-28-2004 at 09:36 AM.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:46 AM

Not my rides...I wish they were - at least one of them .

That is Brady McNew's (Brady96z) big block Z28, and Matt Harlan's twin turbo Firehawk.

My car can't roll on the same parking lot as those two .

Ryan
Old 03-28-2004, 09:52 AM

Man, that Southern Shootout looks like a blast! I've got to try to make it down there this year and check out some of those cars. It's gotta be like a bunch of doctors going to a Frankenstein convention...

Quick Reply: Who's removed their ABS system?