Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

White smoke from exhaust from Toluene and Marvel Mystery Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 10:17 AM

Joe, after you left Sean ran .4 quicker at the 330 ft mark than he was at that point on the 7.66 run! ......but guess what happened, he had accidentally left it in 2nd gear and hit the rev limiter Chris has it on tape. Despite that, the run was still under 8 seconds even though he finished at ~ 82 MPH or so. I'd say that pass was good for 7.3 @ 93+ MPH if he'd had it in drive ....dang-it Sean!

Well, I have some good news and bad news. Good news first.....my antifeeze level is fine after all of those miles I put on it going to the track and back and some additional cruising .....some of it somewhat hard via going into boost a few times. The white smoke problem is gone so I guess it was the MMOil and/or Toluene. Bad news; knock sensor is all of a sudden going wild.....absolutely wild. There is no rhyme or reason to it so I think it's false.....that's good but that means it may be hard to chase down. It's gotten to the point of showing 3 ~ 4 degrees of KR even when I just rev the motor sitting parked with no load on it. Then I'll be driving along and hit it and sometimes there's knock .....sometimes there isn't (under exactly the same throttle % and RPM conditions). The other weird part of it is that you can't feel any surge from the KR ....even when it spikes at 6.0 degrees at times, you hear/feel absolutely nothing. Also, a good bit of the time it appears to be in "low octane mode" and displays KR proportional to throttle position very smoothly. Anyway, seems like a false knock problem that needs chased down.....perhaps my exhaust system has loosened up somewhere. I am still in the process of trying to get race gas to also help determine if this KR is real. Toby Cunningham has some 105 unleaded but I can never get ahold of him. The weather looks good for Thursday but it's looking like I won't be ready by then.....I'm tryin' though
Old 03-30-2003, 11:49 AM

whitish or bluish smoke could be signs of a bad head gasket... Depending on if you're running too lean or rich.