Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

White smoke from exhaust from Toluene and Marvel Mystery Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 12:57 PM

White smoke from exhaust from Toluene and Marvel Mystery Oil?

Recently added two gallons of Toluene to about nine gallons of 93 octane. I see white smoke from the exhaust but it is inconsistent. Sometimes it's constant at idle, other times it is only a puff after I've revved it but won't smoke at all at idle. I checked my antifreeze level and it's about 3 inches from the top of the radiator when cold (after sitting a week). Problem is, since it was dyno tuned back in November.....I can't remember if I've checked the level since then or what it looked like when I did (other than this last time I'm speaking of). The Toluene is Sherwin Williams and it has not helped the knock retard. In fact, it seems I have more KR with the Toluene so perhaps it's not first run. I can drive it hard and not see any white smoke in the rear view even on a nice day. I also added some Marvel Mysery Oil (about 4 ounces) and a tid bit of "dry gas" ......could that cause white smoke as well? I added the dry gas (gasline antifreeze) because the car had sat most of the winter with the same 1/4 tank of gas in (condensation in the tank). Only about 4 ounces of the dry gas too.

Here's what worries me though: I've noticed a weird smell ever since I got the car back from the dyno tuner in November.....not sure how to describe it, I just assumed it was a rich running smell since he wound up disabling my closed loop and tuning me a little rich in open loop. I'm wondering if the tuner blew a head gasket (had my car for three months and it saw a lot of dyno pulls, had lots of weird problems that were hard to track down) ......and neither he nor I noticed the blown gasket (or cracked head or block) because of dismissing the tailpipe smoke being due to the cold weather. I really don't know if it smoked when I was running straight 93 octane ....now the guessing game begins. I guess the first step is to top off the coolant and see if it goes down any. Also, run this tank out and start over with fresh 93 . I am so sick and tired of not being able to enjoy my car.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:28 AM

I was thinking of using toluene in the GN and the guys at turbobuick.com that are using it never mentioned the white smoke. Sorry.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:40 PM

How much do you want for that GN? I love GN's

I think I've overreacted and the car is fine (I think). The reason my radiator seemed low is that it had sat for a week (3 ~ 4 inches below the cap). I didn't top it off because I now think it's actually full now that I've observed the dipstick in the overflow. I drove it for a bit yesterday and parked it. Checked the fluid level after a couple of hours and it was right up to the cap. It seems the white smoke is happening less and less so it must have been the Toluene and MMO cleaning out carbon. I drove it out to Hawk's Nest Park yesterday and ran it pretty hard on the curvy mountain roads without incident. It is running better and better ....I think it's just been sitting too much and there was water left in the gas tank from condesation. I can't believe how hard this car pulls at interstate speeds, 5th gear feels just as mean as 3rd...you can easily forget you're in 5th and think you're in 3rd if you're not paying attention when cruising around and listening to music or something ....she's got some bottom end . Last week I hit 145 MPH in 5th gear very quickly at maybe 1/2 throttle and 2 PSI or so ....it was about 4:00 AM and no one coming or going but I had no intention of going that fast.....I was watching the tach and scanmaster and before I know it I look over and, "145 MPH" and climbing fast

I drained out the entire gas tank with my trip to Hawk's Nest yesterday and have already started over with a 1/2 tank of 93 .....now a few more checks on the coolant level and oil condition, an oil change, purchase some race gas, and a couple more 1/2 tanks of 93 to run through ......and I'll see you all at KV sometime in April or May
Old 03-23-2003, 02:50 PM

glad to here its running better will you be going to KV this friday?If so i will see you there bring the Z that way I can see if I can help you out with anything.. good luck on it should have some fuel here soon.. I will keep you informed on it..
Old 03-26-2003, 01:26 AM

Charlie!! Glad to hear that it's nothing major (you and your luck, huh??). You should really try to make to KV this friday, I'd love to see you go down there and smoke Seans ride, (I heard that it's a piece of crap, previous owner REALLY abused it, lol). Hope to see you there! Maybe I'll even have the '91 out of the paint shop by then and showin' her off.

Joe.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:56 AM

well guys I found a guy who can get me just about anything I need at a good price to out run any of you all the N20 I need at a great price and he is getting me a price on a drum of fuel..and 200hp jets But my SES Light came on last night after I showed off the power of a stock motor.. It spun in 1st then went into 2nd and then 3rd.... never bogged but I need to just keep it in 2nd when I stomp it on street tires..My guss is it put to much of a load on it when it was spinning in 3rd and maybe got some nock ..I will be checking it out today..See you guys friday...If not to race come and whatch should be a good show me and adam are up for the race of the year If I can get him there
Old 03-26-2003, 09:42 AM

Sean, tell me you didn't hurt the stock block. There are still heads/cam to put in. Friday will be fun to watch, but next Thursday is race day providing I have to car put back together. It is the stupid little parts that are the PITA. Sean the O2s are ordered and hopefully will be here by Friday.
Joe, whats going on nowadays? Got rid of the 4th gen and you don't even talk to us anymore Who is painting the 91? Can't wait to see her all shined up. Craig (my buddy with the white 91 Camaro) is wanting to see how Ruby turned out and get a price on a paint job. Drop me a line sometime.

Chris
Old 03-26-2003, 01:10 PM

Chris,

With me not owning a 4th gen anymore, I didnt know if I was know if I was out of the club or not, lol. Seriously though, I've been really busy lately with trying to get the car painted and all. Plus, I just bought a new street bike (cbr600f4) and I've been trying to get all that stuff lined out (insurance, title transfered etc). I cant wait to get Ruby back!! A guy in Culloden is painting it for me, he estimated $1500 including all body work, so I guess that's not too bad, it needed a lot of straightening. I guess I'll now if it's worth it when I get the car back. We need to set a date that ALL of us can meet up at the track, and take a few pics of all of the rides together, I think that would be pretty cool. Well, see you guys friday!!! Charlie, you'd better be there, white smoke and all, lol!!! Later!

Joe.
Old 03-26-2003, 01:21 PM

Well, not owning a 4th gen usually gets you kicked out of the club, but we will let it slide since you have a 3rd gen (that will probably out run mine soon) Just kidding, what color is the new bike? Are you bringing it up Friday? I figured you had to get some other play toy soon. See ya Friday!!

Chris
Old 03-26-2003, 04:46 PM

Chris,

It's yellow and black, the color I was looking for. Clean bike for a 2000 model and the mileage, and runs strong. If I dont have the '91 back by friday and the little lady doesnt come, I'll definately ride the bike down! Yeah, you're right, I just had to have another play toy!!! I cant stand being without speed!!

Joe.
Old 03-26-2003, 05:54 PM

Is she your little lady or your old lady?? Nice choice in colors. Although I do like the silver and black one myself. There is a real nice one down the road for sale since last year. You know me I am too cheap and too broke to afford that.

Chris

Last edited by 1QUIKTA; 03-28-2003 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:08 PM

Sean, knock won't cause an SES light, maybe if you're getting constant audible knock and something's really going wrong. Reason I know is my Scanmaster is permanently mounted in the middle A/C vent and I've seen knock many times but it's never caused an SES. Like I said, don't run that 150 shot much ....unless you want an excuse to rebuild anyway. (just run the 200 shot if ya really want to rebuild )

I've been observing my antifreeze level and I think it's stable, it's a little ambiguous to read though ya know.....so I think I should drive/observe a little longer before I race. Plus, I STILL haven't found race gas. I've called the only two people I know who buy it by the drum but haven't heard back from them. I will not race without a good portion of R100 in there .....too risky for my blood since I'm at ~8 PSI with no intercooler on stock hyperpathetics.

Joe, that 91 should come out looking better than all of our rides ....good luck with the outcome. Be careful on the crotch-rocket ....I've had some high speed close calls on a YZF 600 and one wreck on my old dual purpose DR 350 (was flung over the handlebars and across a Ford Thunderbird's hood as it pulled out in front of me when I was going 40 MPH ....my knee cracked the windshield and I rolled around on the pavenment several times before coming to a stop, not fun but I was really lucky....probably braked it down to 20 MPH on impact, got 4 stitches in my knee and bruised up inner thighs via dented gas tank....got $4K out of it and patched my bike up for $200.00, sold it for $2,500 after riding it for several more months). Wound up being a great learning experience and I got some money out of it .....main thing to look out for is careless drivers in automobiles not looking for a motorcycle. Man, that was like getting kicked in the nuts by an elephant ........that was really the worst part of it.....lol.

If I can get away from my God awful job tomorrow I will see you all at the track but no racing for me yet. Did you all get an E-mail from Brian? I feel bad for him but it sounds like it could be worse. (he's stationed in Frankfurt, Germany)
Old 03-27-2003, 10:13 PM

bring it and make a pass or two I want to check it out too....wont be as bad on it as taking up to a 140mph lol see ya tomorrow do you have an aol IM? let me know
Old 03-27-2003, 10:40 PM

I've got Citynet and MSN messenger but haven't set it up. I'll plan on taking it but I won't be making a pass dude. My 145 MPH blasts were at part throttle and maybe 2 PSI if that so I don't think that was as hard on the equipment as the 660 at WOT would be. Since you're a real gearhead though I do want your asessment of the smoke upon revs though. It's not a constant thing, just when I rev it ....that makes me think (hopefully) it's just carbon. I see much less knock retard with this straight 93 than I saw with the Toluene and MMOil added to it.....things are looking better but I just don't feel out of the woods yet. Maybe I'll run it next Thursday if all goes well
Old 03-27-2003, 11:42 PM

Joe chanting: "RUN IT.....RUN IT.....RUN IT.....RUN IT"!!!!, just kidding you Charlie! If I had as much time and green as you do in that thing I dont know if I'd ever let it leave the garage! You're probably right about it just being carbon, you should let me take it out and stretch it's legs a bit and knock the cob webs out!!

Sean's making me a nervous wreck talking about spraying a 200 shot through the '95, I cant help but feel that she's still my baby too! I'll cry like a little school girl the day he blow's the hood off it from a crazy shot of juice

I havent heard from my paint guy so it looks like it'll be sometime next week before I get the '91 back, dang. And I figure the little lady will be along for the ride, so no bike either. Just me, her, and the world's fastest '95 Ford F150 4X4 (EXTREME SARCASM), man do hate that truck! Oh well, it gets me where I'm going I guess. See you guys at the track!! Later.

Joe.

Quick Reply: White smoke from exhaust from Toluene and Marvel Mystery Oil?