Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

What class are you planning to run next season?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 03:59 PM

Some real serious bracket racers enter the annual points race at a track and go for a season championship, while others show-up for a race every now-and-then when they feel like it. It is whatever your interests are in bracket racing, however, bracket racing is a lot of fun and it can become addictive!

In addition to the racing, there is also a social element to drag racing. I have several long-time friends (including my oldest son) who also race and we all hangout together during the bracket races and have a lot of fun (even when we go out early and then maybe a beer or two together).

With the NHRA Summit Racing Series and the points race, you can qualify and go onto the division and national finals in bracket racing. I believe Summit just signed another three year sponsorship with NHRA for the bracket series.

WD
Old 12-07-2006, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by The Engineer
Is there a class index (i.e. 12.0 and slower) for the Street Tire Shootout series you're running in? I know a lot of tracks place an index on the street classes to keep-out the faster cars. Also, I see you can run low 11s with your LS.

WD
No cut off time. It's run what you brung and dial it in. Usually from low 10s to around 22 seconds.

Now for their regular brackets series they have street, down to 12 flat and pro which is no box from 11.99 and quicker. But they race Saturday and Sunday 2 weekends a month. Too much for me.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
so i dont have to sign up to race in the points races? I can just show up when its a points race day and race? and how much does winner take home at each event usually? for the street event i was talkin about?
Depends on the car count... Anywhere from $150.00 to $300.00 for the winner, half that for the runner up, and anywhere from $25.00-$50.00 for the semi finals, but it depends entirely on car count.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:51 AM

I'll be footbraking my nova in the Pro class again next year. Maybe I'll make it out of 2nd round. Competition is tough at Atco in the bracket series and I'm learning a lot - quickly!

We're also building a 12.0 index car to run on Thursday nights. I won't be the only driver though - I think the goal is to win as many races as possible with just as many different drivers. We're trying to prove to the index guys that they're bracket racing. The past couple of years the bracket racers with cars that run around 12.0 cleaned house.

Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 AM
rje

Do ya'll have alot of big money races for the brackets up there? My home track had muiltiple $5,000, $7,500, and $10,000 races, not to mention their regular purses where $2,000. I was fortunate enough to win a couple of the regular ones and one the big ones, hopefully I can continue to do as well next year.

Randy
Old 12-07-2006, 12:16 PM

Atco only hosts one big $$ footbrake race. Maple Grove has a couple.

Atco hosts a TON of big $$ S/P races. The AAA Auto Parts / Stalba weekend is the biggest - I believe Jeggie won one of them this past summer. I think that is $20,000 Friday night, $20,000 Saturday and $20,000 Sunday. They also hold a race for a dragster and some smaller high roller races throughout the weekend.

Atco also runs the Bill Mitchell Series in S/P - I think that one is $5,000 Friday night, $10,000 Saturday and $5,000 Sunday. It's a series and the points winners are compensated at the end of the season as well.

Regular Saturday points payouts are:
S/P: $2,000
Pro: $1,200
Street: $350
It's very tough to win though - every Saturday, the entries average about 150 in S/P, 75 in Pro and a couple dozen in Street.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:16 PM
Administrator

At one of our local tracks, purse is generally $800-$1500 to win.... It is an 1/8 mile track.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:50 PM
rje

Ya, it's 1/8 mile, hard to find one that's 1/4 anymore in NC. The closest one for me is around 3hrs away.

Randy
Old 12-07-2006, 03:42 PM

so tnt...do i have to sign up offically online? or can i just got ot he door the day of and sign up to race just for that day?

i think im gonna sign up and go once and awhile.....since my z28 is my DD...learn more and more and maybe one time get to the semis or finals and once i get a beater i will go more often
Old 12-07-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by 5SPDCHK
I'll be footbraking my nova in the Pro class again next year. Maybe I'll make it out of 2nd round. Competition is tough at Atco in the bracket series and I'm learning a lot - quickly!

We're also building a 12.0 index car to run on Thursday nights. I won't be the only driver though - I think the goal is to win as many races as possible with just as many different drivers. We're trying to prove to the index guys that they're bracket racing. The past couple of years the bracket racers with cars that run around 12.0 cleaned house.

Season's Greetings Jax. Give me a shout next year if you need another driver for the 12 index. I think you guys owe me a ride from a while ago. Nothing like lending out a car only to see it next to ya in the final round.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by kazman
Season's Greetings Jax. Give me a shout next year if you need another driver for the 12 index. I think you guys owe me a ride from a while ago. Nothing like lending out a car only to see it next to ya in the final round.
Will do Jim. Should be a good time!!!

How's that vette doing? Did you and Linda get married yet?

Old 12-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Administrator

New England Dragway: Points app... http://www.newenglanddragway.com/new...uVFEklXpYeAdTz

However you do not need to sign up if you just want to come and race. You still get money and a trophy if you win, but you will not accumulate "points" in the quest for a season championship.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:16 PM

For prize money, we got lucky this year. In the past, it was always based on car counts. 40% of the entry fee per class goes back into that classes payout. 50% of that went to the winner. 40% to the runner up, 10% each to the semis. If there were more than 32 cars in the field, they payed down to the quarters somehow. Trophies were also give to the winner and runner up.

Lets say there were 20 cars in the class. Each payed $50. That's $400 prize money. Winner only gets $200. Not too many fast cars showing up for that kind of payout when they could travel for a chance for better money.

This year was much better. The street class (Sportsman) entry fee was only $25 but had no payouts. They got a trophy for winner and runner up and the winner also gets a free entry for the next race.

Box/No box classes with only a $50 entry fee per day. I'm sure trophies for winner and runner up were also given out.

Up to 16 Entries:
Winner: $500.00
Runner up: $250.00
Semi's: $75.00

16 to 32 Entries:
Winner: $500.00
Runner up: $250.00
Semi's: $75.00
Quarters: $25.00

33 to 48 Entries:
Winner: $750.00
Runner up: $350.00
Semi's: $125.00
Quarters: $50.00

49 and up Entries:
Winner: $1000.00
Runner up: $450.00
Semi's: $150.00
Quarters: $75.00

If you got a perfect light, RT 0.000, during eliminations, you got a free entry for the next race.

Car counts were up this year.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by tnthub
New England Dragway: Points app... http://www.newenglanddragway.com/new...uVFEklXpYeAdTz

However you do not need to sign up if you just want to come and race. You still get money and a trophy if you win, but you will not accumulate "points" in the quest for a season championship.
yea i think im gonna sign up.... even though im only going to go to a few races.... it would be cool seein my name up there lol and also its 5$ cheaper if ur signed up...if i go 10 times it pays for itself..... God i can't wait for next season...points racing is going to be sooo fun! hopefully i have a beater by then so i can trailer my car up there instead of driving it and not have to worry about not having a DD

Last edited by CamaroRacing12; 12-07-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 PM

Just remember that although it's nice to go fast, speed means nothing in a bracket race. Most of the time, the slowest vehicles are also the hardest ones to beat. Newer vehicles with traction control are bracket racer's nightmares.

It's also nice to be able to go a few rounds. It doesn't take much to get in the top 10 or top 5 in the points standings to give you some bragging rights. You don't even need to win a race to be in the top 5. Just going more rounds than someone who's only won a single race and gone out in the first round every other race will keep you near the top in points.

Just because someone won a race doesn't mean they'll get past first round at the next race. Don't be intimidated by the vehicle beside you. When I'm in the water box, I look over at the car or look at the scoreboard just to see a dial in so I know if I launch first or not. Other than that I couldn't tell you who I race against nor do I really care. It can be just about anything. OK, one race I had to go up against the guy I pit with. I lost but we couldn't tell who won until we got the timeslips it was that close. I knew who I raced that time. Most of the time I'm asked who I raced and I usually say "I think it was a blue car"

Although you're racing someone, you're really racing your own race. You get a green light, one hurdle down. Was it a good light? You won't really know. If your opponent launches first, you may be able to see if he gets a good light or not. Once you're going down the track, you concentrate on your shifts. By half track, you should be in high gear. By the time you reach the 1000 foot mark you start to be aware of where your opponent is in relation to you and the finish line. If you're ahead, you need to decide within the next 2 seconds if you should stay in it or back out slightly to keep from breaking out. If you're behind you need to decide if you're going to catch up in time or if your opponent is going to break out.

There's so much happening that you don't really have time to see who or what you're racing. It takes time to get used to ignoring everything not related to what you're doing. After that it just becomes routine. Then you start relaxing and have fun. I still get the butterflies in the stomach sitting in the waterbox going over in my head everything I need to do but as soon as I turn on the prestage light I'm relaxed and concentrating on my procedures.

Quick Reply: What class are you planning to run next season?