Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Tips on Launch technique

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 05:28 AM

Tips on Launch technique

Having just purchased a '97 Z with A4, I am plannig on occasional trips down the 1/4 mile just for fun and to get numbers. I've never raced before so am at a loss on techniques for quick reaction times and launches. Here are my questions...

1. Since I have an A4, will I have to apply (say) 3/4 throttle to keep the tires from slipping during launches, and after a second or so (once enough speed is achieved) got WOT?

2. I've read about stall speed and "flash" stall speed. At the line, how far should I have the throttle pressed while applying the brake before launch?

3. What can I do to get the quickest reaction time? What should I be looking for on the tree? Do I launch as soon as the green lights or before so I pass the "line" as the green lights.

4. Is there anything I need to do to the engine after the run to protect it? Shut it down? let it idle to cool down?

Thanks All for your advice and wisdom.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:02 PM

Re: Tips on Launch technique

1. Make sure you get all the water off your tires. You should be able to go WOT immediately, but if the track prep is poor or your tires aren't clean, you'll need to feather it off the line. Experiment to see what works best for you.

2. I'm assuming your converter is stock, so I'd say you'll want to be at about 1000 to 1200 RPM at launch.

3. If you see the 3rd yellow, you're late. I watch the second yellow, and as soon as it goes out, I go. If you wait for green, you'll be about a half a second late. Don't do that. Also, you'll want to stage as shallow as possible to get the best times. To do this, have your RPMs at your desired stall speed after prestaging, but before you stage, then bump the car in slowly, don't let it roll in.

4. Just drive back to your pit area and shut it off. For the best times, pop your hood between runs and let it sit for 30 minutes or so. If you just want to practice going down the track, you'll probably be alright just hot lapping it, but your times will suffer.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:33 AM

i'll have to try that 30 mins with the hood up next time i go to the strip, maybe that hurt my times cause i was just runnin track happy lol. nice times by the way maroon, just now looked at your sig. that really all you've got done to it for those times 0_0. stall and slicks mustve helped tons.
oh and a tip ive heard a few times before, dont look at the track right in front of you, pick a point nearer to the end and aim for it dont know if it helps or not but i dont remember having to straighten up very much in the 1/8.. anyway good luck out there your first time!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, it's basically a full bolt-on car, but with shorties and full emissions instead of LT's and cutout. I'm thinking low 12's with LT's, cutout, 1.6rr and maybe a little more weight reduction.

Yes, you definitely want to line up straight.

Remember, as a rule of thumb, the cooler the engine and underhood temps are, the faster you will go. I don't recommend running it at 100 degrees or less, but you know, the cooler the better.