Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Thunder racing shootout for those that don't agree with the ls1tech rules.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 01:36 AM

Thunder racing shootout for heads up EFI racing.

There is an option guys. Rules are going to be much better this year(growing curve) so things should be on a more level playing field. Bring your SBCs and 18* heads..they will let you run. Its a link to ls1tech forum that is all about the Thunder shootout this year.

I hope we can get all the rules combined for a series but for this year you can go racing. All gM efi cars invited..even room for the efi trucks. Plus its gonna be a 2 day event this year. I think the revised rules are going to be posted soon. From the rumors I hear they are good.

http://www.ls1tech.com/threads/postl...t=&Board=UBB38

Chime in and tell them your thoughts. I know they watch that forum and are taking everything into consideration. Plus..madman is gonna organize a "race within a race" for you big hitters wtih a big payout I believe..a no holds bared..bring it on race from what I hear.

Tim

Last edited by 95Bird; 06-13-2003 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:07 AM

You are really becoming Joe #2 on this stuff.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:16 AM

John..no..not really. I agree that I should have titled the thread differently. Sorry about that. What I saw on the other thread is that no suggestions were being taken..they were just being shot down left and right. Now it looks like the issues that were being talked about are actually being considered. I like that. I'm not bashing a ls1tech.com series(althogh I do admit I don't like the name) and I hope it is a huge success. I will participate if I feel the rules are ballanced and didn't cater to one class or one engine..or one car. Just because I state my opinion doesn't mean I'm becomeing a "joe" as you say. I'm very passionate about this kind of stuff and can get fired up about it at times but I just want a series to be successfull and when myself and others..the actual racers that can help make this successfull... get slammed for voicing a different opinion yes it does **** me off.

I didn't post this threat to try and "steal" car from you guys if thats what you think. We have a efi race coming up. I wanted to let the lt1 boys know about it and the changes that are being made. Alot of people from here don't go to ls1tech enough to keep up with this kind of stuff so I just wanted to give a heads up. If you feel that is wrong then sorry..but I wanted to spread the word to make these kinds of races work. I'm really hoping that an eletist attitude isn't going to take over this kind of stuff..from what I saw at the beginning of the other thread it was. If we can all work together to get this going it will succeed...but john you guys have to listen to everyone..not just the people you feel worthy.

Tim
Old 06-13-2003, 10:24 AM

I hear you.

I spent 4 hours on the phone yesterday calling around to work out some issues.

The Thunder Shootout was fun last year and Chicago is coming again with at least 10 cars, we had 8 make the haul last year.

We are in contact with Angie Skinner from T/R so that we can experience as much overlap as possible with the rules for the heads up classes. We are in every way possible looking looking to have a similar look and feel to that shootout so that everyone's combos don't have to change for every race.

Take care I know you care about this stuff a lot too.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:22 PM

Plus..madman is gonna organize a "race within a race" for you big hitters wtih a big payout I believe..a no holds bared..bring it on race from what I hear.
Somehow this doesn't surprise me. I think it's a great idea. How many people come to these races to see the bracket races? Everyone loves a good low-9, high-8 second car.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:09 PM

rules are up
Old 06-15-2003, 12:10 AM

Arrow

Street Stock & Quick Stock are about 100 lbs too light... IMO.
Even with the weight reductions I'm doing now I'd have a hell of a time getting down to 3300. And I still have to put a cage in.
Steve...
Old 06-15-2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by SAR2K
Street Stock & Quick Stock are about 100 lbs too light... IMO.
Even with the weight reductions I'm doing now I'd have a hell of a time getting down to 3300. And I still have to put a cage in.
Steve...
welcome to my world. I have to drop about 150 lbs..I have no clue how to do it without totally distroying the car or spending mucho big $$$. Oh well..I will do what I feel like and race at the weight I'm at.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:30 AM

Where are the rules at so i can look at em
Old 06-15-2003, 09:18 AM

Looks like ls1tech is having trouble. When they are back up follow the link I posted above. Thuncer racing has posted a rough set of rules to show what they are going with so just wait untill the link above works.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:28 AM

Arrow

Here is the link to where the FINAL rules will be posted http://www.thundershootout.com/index.cfm?action=races
Joe had linked to this the other day. I hope they aren't going back to these rules... the weights are cool for LT1 guys, but these rules would put me running with strokers that have sheetmetal intakes!!! I'd be toast with my 86,000 mile stock short block!!! We'll see what the final rules say.
IMO the rules discussion should be moved here since this IS the most reliable site. No slam on LS1Tech or LS1, but I NEVER have trouble here. Plus the rules need to be ironed out soon.
Steve...
Old 06-15-2003, 10:17 AM

Steve..they are going to have a "quick stock" class this year that allowes for rebuilt short block/heads/cam. 360 cubes and down. And your right..I never have trouble here.

tim
Old 06-15-2003, 10:30 AM

Thumbs up

10-4 on the Quick Stock. I wasn't sure since two sets of rules are now in the picture. QS is cool provded they bring the min weight up to 3400. 3300 is too steep for quite a few of us, and it's not a bad weight for the LS1 guys either... despite what the "beer can cars" might say.
Old 06-15-2003, 11:25 AM

Chances are that I will be in the QS Class as well, Hopefully they will combine the Autos and Manuals together. Better payouts for sure. I'm pretty sure I can get the weight down to 3400 or pretty darn close, going to have to strip some stuff out but I was planning on doing that already.

I also hope they plan on not letting them jump (bail out) the day of the race to another class. This is going to be a very competitive class for sure, there going to be some very quick cars in this class, I'm sure I won't be the fastest but I'm going to enjoy as much as I can.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:22 AM

http://www.ls1tech.com/threads/showf...5&o=14&fpart=1

You can find the rough draft of the rules here.

Quick Reply: Thunder racing shootout for those that don't agree with the ls1tech rules.