Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Shoe polish removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 10:58 PM

Shoe polish removal

I drag race a few time a year and they always write on my windows with that show polish... Well there wouldnt be a problem if i didnt have a warranty... so if anyone could please tell me hwo to remove this from my windows? (also after i remove it sometimes when i wash it i can stil see the numbers appear so how can i remove that as well?) Thanks, John!
Old 03-23-2004, 02:51 AM

Try using masking tape to make a peel off number. they look a little square, but leave no trace at all.

PJ
Old 03-23-2004, 06:15 AM

There is a product called Dial In that Jegs sells. It is for putting numbers on your windows, but comes off with a towel or your finger.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:52 AM

I use a new razor blade to scrape it off.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:58 AM

Magnetic numbers

Not sure if it was hwere but awhile back I saw a link to a Miata board that sold a decent sized sheet of Magnet in differnet colors, then you coudl just putnumbers on it...

My old car I woudl had, little bits ofg white I coudl not get off... some down in the weather stripping of my hatch, nearly a year after I switched to magnets.

I only had written numbers on my new car once...
Old 03-23-2004, 07:23 AM

You guys missed the point. He's talking about the track official using shoe polish, not himself.

As long as it's only on the glass, go to the paint store and get some acetone. Put a little on a paper towel - takes it right off. Then clean with a little glass cleaner like Windex to get the residue off. BUT be VERY careful you don't get any acetone on the paint 'cause it will take that off too!
Old 03-23-2004, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Ron78Z&01SS
I use a new razor blade to scrape it off.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by Raptor1
You guys missed the point. He's talking about the track official using shoe polish, not himself.

As long as it's only on the glass, go to the paint store and get some acetone. Put a little on a paper towel - takes it right off. Then clean with a little glass cleaner like Windex to get the residue off. BUT be VERY careful you don't get any acetone on the paint 'cause it will take that off too!
If you put your own number on, the track official doesn't have to. There's a product called "Write-on" that the speed shop at our track sells. You can wipe it off with only a dry paper towel.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by 5SPDCHK
If you put your own number on, the track official doesn't have to. There's a product called "Write-on" that the speed shop at our track sells. You can wipe it off with only a dry paper towel.

exactly...

I put my numbers on drive up, guy says "you always have your sh|t together" since I have everything ready to go, and on my car, form filled out and signed fully.

He recognizes me cuz every now and then I will have a bout fo like 8-9 straight trips to the track every wed and friday night.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:47 AM

5SPDCHK & MustangEater82, I agree - if they let you do it. One track I go to does, one doesn't. They insist on putting their own number on your glass with show polish Most tracks don't care, but there's always that one.....
Old 03-23-2004, 11:59 AM

Now that I think about it when I forgot ot get my numbers off one night, and they sunbaked on for a day or 2, I just poured dawn directly on it

Then washed it off later...

but as a warning dawn will strip wax off your car.
Old 03-23-2004, 12:30 PM

I have the same problem ... I've got numbers that show up in the rain .... been there for 2 years. I'll try the acetone thing.

I've started putting my own number on before going to the track. I use the race stuff ... not the shoe polish that the track uses.
Old 03-23-2004, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by rncotton
I have the same problem ... I've got numbers that show up in the rain .... been there for 2 years. I'll try the acetone thing.

I've started putting my own number on before going to the track. I use the race stuff ... not the shoe polish that the track uses.
Acetone may not do anything after 2 years
Old 03-23-2004, 05:05 PM

People have been really impressed with the Zaino glass cleaner... maybe ask in the appearance section...
Old 03-23-2004, 08:36 PM

I've found that very hot water will remove the "ghost effect" of the shoe polish if it hasn't been on the glass very long.

Quick Reply: Shoe polish removal