Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Need advise on launching 6spd with MT ET Radials

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:42 AM

Need advise on launching 6spd with MT ET Radials

hey guys, im not really into drag racing but i went out and the best i could do on my 275-40 sumitomos was a 13.88 @ 108. i either bog due to ***** footin it or i spin them through 3rd.....

i ordered some 315/35-17 MT ET street radials to see what she can really do.

it is going to be the last test n tune night for the summer so i wont really have any time to practice.

any tips you guys can give on rpm and cluch engagement is appreciated.

thanks,
Jeremy
Old 09-08-2008, 05:26 PM

slip the clutch. any amount of "shock" will break something in the rear end. Be gentle at first, then hammer down on it.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:40 PM

yeah, one guy told me to slip my foot off the clutch and let it pop out. one of two things would happen depending on my rpm....cars dies, or something breaks.

what about rpm? 2500 so it doesnt bog?

thanks slomarao
Old 09-08-2008, 06:45 PM

an M6 car will still shock a set of MT ET street radials - quite easily. if you're dead set on using them, you're going to have to slip the clutch the best you can. finding that sweet spot between bog and spin is the holy grail for launching manual trans cars, and nothing but seat time will get you there faster. good luck.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by slomarao
slip the clutch. any amount of "shock" will break something in the rear end. Be gentle at first, then hammer down on it.

shock induces wheel spin if there is no traction.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
an M6 car will still shock a set of MT ET street radials - quite easily. if you're dead set on using them, you're going to have to slip the clutch the best you can. finding that sweet spot between bog and spin is the holy grail for launching manual trans cars, and nothing but seat time will get you there faster. good luck.
yeah, and seat time is something i wont have. i think that the 315 mt streets will definately let me leave a lot harder. my 60' times were 2.5-2.7, so i just wanted to see what the car was capable of before the friday night test-n-tunes were over for the season.

ill get about 3 runs if im lucky since it'll be packed that night. then i'll probably sell the radials and put on some sumitomos since its mainly just a street car. so if anyone wants a good deal them just lemme know. if not, i just throw them up on ebay....

thanks guys for the imput....
Old 09-08-2008, 07:06 PM
Banned

I was dumping mine at 6k+ on drag radials and they didn't spin too mcuh car still left home. Busted up alot of **** though
Old 09-08-2008, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
I was dumping mine at 6k+ on drag radials and they didn't spin too mcuh car still left home. Busted up alot of **** though
looks like you are using the MT ET streets now. when did you switch from the radials?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ss#1230
looks like you are using the MT ET streets now. when did you switch from the radials?
no I am using slicks. I was using BFG radials.

The MT is a better tire and IMO its going to bog your car down so you need rpm to get it to leave...possibly try to get the tire to turn a half turn to a turn when you launch....probly around 18 psi and 5k....

I don't know why people say slip the clutch.....it is not made to slip, won't last any time.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:21 AM

Agree, let something else slip other than the clutch since the 4th gens do not have a clutch system that is made to slip, if they did....watch out!!

It would be best to get some spin out of the tires, not alot but some, best 60's from my car was when it spun some (on ET Streets or drags).

I am sure the car is heavy so the more RPM you can leave with the better you will be and if you have gears it helps getting the large mass going out of the whole.

When the bolt on car had 10b/3.42s and minimum weight reduction we launched it at 6k+ on ET Streets b/c it needed to get out of the whole, and would still fall on it's face....
Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM

MT does not recommend their DR for a manual car!
so of course it will be challenginng to launch on those tires
Old 09-09-2008, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
Agree, let something else slip other than the clutch since the 4th gens do not have a clutch system that is made to slip, if they did....watch out!!

It would be best to get some spin out of the tires, not alot but some, best 60's from my car was when it spun some (on ET Streets or drags).

I am sure the car is heavy so the more RPM you can leave with the better you will be and if you have gears it helps getting the large mass going out of the whole.

When the bolt on car had 10b/3.42s and minimum weight reduction we launched it at 6k+ on ET Streets b/c it needed to get out of the whole, and would still fall on it's face....

WOW, so i really need to get aggressive with it....

ive only got the stock rear end with 3.42s, im kinda worried about it withstanding the abuse....

ive got the torsen limited slip diff and im thinking about puting 410s in it but i need to find out if aftermarket gears will fit the torsen rear end....
Old 09-09-2008, 12:16 PM

There is a fine line between aggression and on the trailer. The benefit is that the 3.42s are a thicker gear set than 4.10s but 4.10s will help if they do not break.
Just need to know what carrier you have and the gear sets work with those diffs. Probably a 3 series if it's all stock rear end.

Part of the story behind launching it that hard was that we had a 12bolt waiting to go in with 4.10s so breaking it didnt matter, you might not be that lucky....and we wanted to go for the record so Russ had a Moser/4.33/Spool sitting in the garage so we use it, WAY better!!!

You have to find the balance in clutch pressure, RPM, and tire PSI....it will not happen with one night at the track, unless you rent it...

Originally Posted by ss#1230
WOW, so i really need to get aggressive with it....

ive only got the stock rear end with 3.42s, im kinda worried about it withstanding the abuse....

ive got the torsen limited slip diff and im thinking about puting 410s in it but i need to find out if aftermarket gears will fit the torsen rear end....
Old 09-09-2008, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
I don't know why people say slip the clutch.....it is not made to slip, won't last any time.
You're right - wrong terminology. Finding the right RPM to smoothly engage the clutch might be the better description.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shon Herron
There is a fine line between aggression and on the trailer. The benefit is that the 3.42s are a thicker gear set than 4.10s but 4.10s will help if they do not break.
Just need to know what carrier you have and the gear sets work with those diffs. Probably a 3 series if it's all stock rear end.

Part of the story behind launching it that hard was that we had a 12bolt waiting to go in with 4.10s so breaking it didnt matter, you might not be that lucky....and we wanted to go for the record so Russ had a Moser/4.33/Spool sitting in the garage so we use it, WAY better!!!

You have to find the balance in clutch pressure, RPM, and tire PSI....it will not happen with one night at the track, unless you rent it...
well, i'll just do my best to get a decent launch without breaking something and see how the night goes....

i will not be putting in the 410s because i called slp and they let me know that i needed to get a Paddle-Pin Kit to make the gears fit in torsen rear end. that would be another 170 bucks. im just not into drag racing that much and its not worth it to me.

thanks for all the help guys,

i'll just run and see how things turn out, sell the MT radials and put some street tires back on her....

thanks,
Jeremy

Quick Reply: Need advise on launching 6spd with MT ET Radials