Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Minimum Tread Depth at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 06:08 PM

Minimum Tread Depth at the Track

Hey, since the track I normally go to isn't open this weekend, I was going to head to Firebird Raceway in Phoenix.

On their website, it lists that you need at least 1/16th of an inch of tread depth to run there. I was hopin to get one last run out of my Nitto's which have probably a little more than that amount on the outsides, but across the center they're pretty much smooth.

Do any other tracks have this requirement? And How strict are they at enforcing it?

Thanks for the help!

Steve
Old 12-04-2003, 07:41 PM

I assume it is a track created rule since NHRA says: "Racing slicks permitted. Minimum diameter of 13 inches on front tires of any dragster."

Regarding tires in the Sportsman, Super pro, and pro classes.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:08 PM

It depends how good the tech inspectors look at the car. Here near the end of the season they start looking at tires more closely than during the rest of the season.

All slicks have wear indicators but that doesn't mean the tires are still good. My last set still had a little bit left on one side of the tire where the indicator could be seen but on the other side I was down to the cords. Once you get down that low, there's no rubber for traction. 1/16" isn't very much rubber to get any kind of traction with.

At 1/16" I'd say the slicks are really worn out.

I just checked the rulebook. It's a grey area.
General regulations 5:1
Tires will be visually checked for condition, pressure etc and must be free of defects by the tech inspector prior to any run. All street tires must have a minimum of 1/16" tread

So it's up to the tech inspector to determine if your tires are safe or not. There's no minimum tread spec on a slick but as I just mentioned, they could still be considered worn out. If the tech inspector says they're worn out then you don't race. If he misses the worn out slicks and you have an accident then it's your fault for trying to race on bald tires.

The first rule in the rulebook. "It is up to you to make sure your vehicle is up to specifications." Tech isn't there to do a complete and full inspection on your car. They don't have the time. It's up to you to make sure everything is safe.

I missed one race this year because my slicks were worn out and my new ones didn't arrive on time. I knew they were worn out and still wanted to race. All I had to do was stage in the first round to get 30 points but the car wouldn't pass tech with the bald tires.

Last edited by Stephen 87 IROC; 12-04-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:13 PM

Thats weird my local track says 15/32's tread so i race on super swampers