Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Low 12's achieved N/A without LT1 motor mods. (post track report)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 01:57 PM

Low 12's achieved N/A without LT1 motor mods. (post track report)

While grudge night was disappointing for some due to less than expected results from some major modifications, it was a good night for me. I hit my best ever ET of 12.177 and backed it up with a 12.195 at 111.768 MPH. While these may be unimpressive numbers for some, they may fail to realize that the motor of my LT1 car is completely untouched and untuned. I was even running the stock throttle body. So the questions of "what have you done to the motor?" are answered simply with one word: "nothing". I was getting some wheelspin on every run costing me .05 to nearly a full tenth each time. But this could be easily solved with a fresh pair of stickies. I'm feeling very confident of some 11 second runs with some roller rockers, throttle body, some tuning, and maybe a tweak here and there. Track conditions were hot. 90 degrees tapering off to about 75 by the end of the night but it was a good night for me.
Old 06-02-2003, 09:05 PM

That is rolling for a stock LT1. Your closet competitor for boltons is Sar2k who ran 11.90's early this year witha 3500lb Transam in real good weather. He has rockers, Precision Ind. converter and all the boltons. Cuts 1.5 60's I am sure he will chime in on this. I wish my car weighed close to 3200lbs with me in it. What kind of weight reduction do you have done?
Old 06-03-2003, 11:37 AM

I've basically taken everything out that is not needed for drag racing. I want to try to keep my raceweight to 3000#'s or so. That way I can reach my single digit 1/4 mile goals with less hp. It'll cost me less money and be more reliable than a heavier car. I haven't reverted to lexan yet but I did get a hood. Look out Stephen, here I come.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:40 AM

Holy fright! 3100lbs with you!!!
The car is less than 3000lbs than, what did you shed off? I want to know I want to get down to that weight.

Congrats on the run.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:49 AM

congrats on the killer ET's.

Definately have a lightweight there,must not have ANYthing left in the interior.
So is it a dedicated race car? or still some street duty left in it?
Old 06-03-2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Ken95Z28
Holy fright! 3100lbs with you!!!
The car is less than 3000lbs than, what did you shed off? I want to know I want to get down to that weight.

Congrats on the run.
LMAO!! Yeah I weigh 220#

I would have to right a book on what I took off but I'll try to explain. I have 0 interior. just a seat, a steering wheel, and only half the dash. No bumpers, No airbags, No accessories except the Alt. No wipers or motor. I think you might be starting to get the picture. This car is not my daily driver and is far from being in an ad for sale with "never been raced" as a caption. I couldn't get a recent accurate weigh in at the track because the electronic scale was broken but I wouldn't be surprised if the car is close to 2800#'s. She's running real strong right now. I'm gonna try to hit some 11's without RR's and just some tuning and tweaking. I don't want to get a bigger stall either. Currently only 3000rpm. Weight loss is good but it does have diminishing returns as you approach a 3000# car since the LT1 has so much torque.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by RacinLT1
congrats on the killer ET's.

Definately have a lightweight there,must not have ANYthing left in the interior.
So is it a dedicated race car? or still some street duty left in it?
Pretty much just a drag car. I don't drive it in the rain and 100+ degree days are out since I just took out the a/c. I drove it all last year when I had the A/C in but I took it out because the compressor was leaking and I didn't want to buy a new one. I do smog it, (very difficult in california), so I can drive it to the track.

Last edited by Tekprodave; 06-03-2003 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2003, 12:33 PM

Sweet! Even though many dont like the stripped out idea but I do. I debate it all the time but will be pulling more out of my car in due time...

Run what you brung!!! I like seeing these LT1s going low 12s with just BOs...too bad my H/C car will only do that....
Old 06-03-2003, 12:58 PM

Originally posted by Shon Herron
Sweet! Even though many dont like the stripped out idea but I do. I debate it all the time but will be pulling more out of my car in due time...

Run what you brung!!! I like seeing these LT1s going low 12s with just BOs...too bad my H/C car will only do that....
One thing is for sure: Running light sure feels good!!
Old 06-08-2003, 06:52 PM

Thumbs up

Simply Awesome!!!
Man you run that bad boy in some good air and you're WAY into the 11's. Congrats on those times & keep it up.
Steve...
Old 06-08-2003, 08:21 PM

holly crap man..thats light. congrats on the times.

Steve..pull your AC and all that other crap you use for creature comforts..leather seats, carpet..dash..power windows..wipers etc. and you could really be movin.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by SAR2K
Simply Awesome!!!
Man you run that bad boy in some good air and you're WAY into the 11's. Congrats on those times & keep it up.
Steve...
Uh oh! I'd better get a cage put in.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by 95Bird
holly crap man..thats light. congrats on the times.

Steve..pull your AC and all that other crap you use for creature comforts..leather seats, carpet..dash..power windows..wipers etc. and you could really be movin.
Leather seats! I know those have got to weigh a lot. I had a power seat in mine but traded a buddy for a regular one. I'll prolly get a drag seat with the cage since they go together.
Old 06-09-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Tekprodave
Leather seats! I know those have got to weigh a lot. .
This is what i thought too, but i weighed mine and a buddys and they are pretty close, I have cloth, he has leather.
Old 06-09-2003, 01:22 PM

Seeing your times makes me want to get a 1st gen RX-7 and do an LT-1 or LS-1 swap. The car would only weigh about 2550 with everything swapped out. I have no doubt that such a car could run 11's for only 3-4,000 including price of the car.

Quick Reply: Low 12's achieved N/A without LT1 motor mods. (post track report)