Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

k-member - which one???

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2003, 09:34 PM

k-member - which one???

Who makes the best K-member for the LT1 f-bodies?

PA, BMR, others?

Most importantly - why?

I'd appreaciate any input on weight differences, strength, clearence issues, and ease of install.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:25 PM

I also just saw Jeg's is now offering a k member made by AJE Racing. Havn't heard of them before. Any experiences?
Old 04-30-2003, 05:41 AM

I have the PA racing unit getting ready to go on my car. very light,and a solid piece. We have the PA on a friends 87,fit great opened up room like you wouldnt believe.

I have heard of BMR having fitment issues with Hooker longtubes,but not sure if they fixed that.
Old 04-30-2003, 08:52 AM

Racin,

What's the motor mount design like on the PAs? Are both (or either) integral, or are there provisions to bolt on the stock style motor mounts?
Old 04-30-2003, 04:21 PM

PA can be ordered with or without provisions for stock mounts. i ordered mine for use with stock or solid mounts.
Old 04-30-2003, 04:45 PM

Is p/n 1203MM the one you have?

If so, Tbyrne has a damn good price. I may give them a call tomorrow.

Last edited by speedmiser; 04-30-2003 at 09:43 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:05 PM

yes that's the part number.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:09 PM

I had a BMR and a PA Racing unit. Just comparing the welds on the two, the BMR looked much better. I had several spots in the welds were there would be small holes in the bead. Plus, none of the slag was cleaned off the k-member, it was just powdercoated over. BMRs looks like a little more care was put into it.

Just my $.02
Old 05-01-2003, 02:35 AM

I had a friend buy a PA and he had wished he got a BMR...I have an LS1 but check out some pics in my sig...as for the BMR, value and workmanship is

Old 05-01-2003, 08:41 AM

mongse - do you feel that the PA is not structurally sound due to the welds and construction? Are they that bad? Or is it more of cosmetic/appearance differences in the welds between the PA and BMR?

I'm looking to buy either unit in black. And since it wont be all that visible, unless the car is in the air, I'm really only concerned about functionality, clearence, and weight savings. Doenst hurt that I can get the PA unit for about $60 less either. So at the moment, that the way I'm leaning, but I'd like to hear anyones thoughs and experiences.

sleeper - why exactly did your friend wish he had bought the BMR over the PA?

Has anyone with either the BMR or the PA had one of the K-members bend the tubing or break a weld?

Thanks for the reply so far guys...

Last edited by speedmiser; 05-01-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:49 AM

After seeing the htread,i got my k member out of storage abd looked it over again. Also we didnt see any issues with the 1 on my friends 3rd gen,and my buddies 8 sec Drag Radial mustang.
I dont see any "bad" welds or any excessive slag.
Only person that i know of that bent a PA racing unit was George Baxter when he stood the car on the back bumper,let off and came slamming down.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've went ahead and placed the PA on order. Sounds like it will meet my needs.
Old 05-01-2003, 03:27 PM

I have a PA on my car and will be swapping to a AJE. There products are very good from everything i have heard.

I have no issues with my PA setup and everything mounted fine. If you are going to need more pan area go with the AJE as it comes foward more.
AJE K members

They are all imo about the same it is just which design do you like most and what price deal you can get. ARE has one as well and not sure on the price but they were having a special a while back.

Steven
Old 05-02-2003, 03:30 PM

Originally posted by speedmiser
mongse - do you feel that the PA is not structurally sound due to the welds and construction? Are they that bad? Or is it more of cosmetic/appearance differences in the welds between the PA and BMR?
Since you bought it, it's a bit of a non-issue but I just didn't like the look of the welds. A friend of mine got his right around the same time for his LS1 TA and it had similar problems. Was it structurally sound? Probably. Did I want to take the chance...no really.

I used to have pictures that I took of the PA. I'll see if I can dig those up this weekend.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:07 PM

Well I bought it on a cc, so I if I dont like the looks of it, I can always return it

It was approx $380 (including shipping), and with those locally and those on the board who OK'd it's functionality, I figured it was worth a try. I'll guess I'll find out for sure, when it arrives

Thanks again for the replys.

Quick Reply: k-member - which one???