Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Help me pick out a harness

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 08:32 PM

Help me pick out a harness

I need to buy a harness soon. I will need one to race with this year and the car is going in for a roll bar in a few weeks. I started looking around and I have completely comfused myself... there are so many brands and types out there I dont know where to begin. So first I will ask this, what do I need as far as the type. I need a roll bar mount so my fabricator can weld on tabs to mount the belts to. But what is better, Y type or dual shoulder straps? What is the differance between "Y", "V" and "wraparound" style harness? What is your opinion on camlock vs standard latch systems? And what brand is good?

I am thinking a harness with dual straps will be a better choice because a Y type has to mount directly behing the center of the seat.... well isnt that where the seat will have to me mounted also? I dont mind spending extra money if the camlock is worth the extra, how much of a pain is a standard type latch? And why does Simpson seem to be 2x the price of everyone else (RCI, RJS, ect..)?
Old 03-03-2004, 09:10 PM

Re: Help me pick out a harness

Originally posted by Projectz28
And why does Simpson seem to be 2x the price of everyone else (RCI, RJS, ect..)?
The quality of the hardware

I use a dual shoulder strap style that wraps around the cross bar. Since I have a racing seat and the belts go through the seat I don't need to install a retainer on the cross bar to keep the straps from sliding away.

I've had a couple of different standard latch systems. My current one is RCI and I don't like it as much as my last set of RJS belts. You also need to look at the shoulder straps. You should be able to pull them tight with one hand but if you need 2 hands to loosen it off again that gets to be a pain.

Since all the belts must have an SFI code, they're all considered safe so it just comes down to what you want and how much you can afford. When they expire in 2 years is it really worth getting them rewebbed? Locally I buy a new set for less than $100. In 2 years I sell them to stock car drivers for $50 and buy another new set.

When buying a new set, check the date code. Even new belts are dated a few months ahead of time so if you buy a set in March, they may be dated anywhere from May to July. They expire 2 years from the date code.

As for rewebbing, not everyone will reweb their belts and nobody will reweb someone elses belts. Spending a lot of money for the Simpson belts and the camlock may look nice in the car but if Simpson won't reweb them then that's a lot of money to spend every 2 years.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:14 AM

oh, ok... I have 2 summit race seats that I am currently installing in the car. So I really dont need belts that bolt to the bar... the "wrap around" style refers to the shoulder straps, I think I understand now. I think that different brands just used different terms. a "V" style must be seperate shoulder straps and a "Y" refers to 2 shoulder straps that mount in 1 spot. Its beginning to make sense now.

I dont mind spending more money for a Simpson belt if its worth it, but if all belts have to pass the same saftey requirements, then I'll just get cheaper brand.

I just happen to have left over gift cert to Summit... The are running a special on RCI platinum series belts right now. A wraparound system with camlock, and pull up adjuster for $140. And RCI will re-certify them 1 time for free... looks like a pretty good deal for a camlock belt and 4 years of certification...
Old 03-04-2004, 07:41 PM

Unless you always have somebody around to help you get in and out of your harness, you want pull-down adjusters not pull-up.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:15 PM

Originally posted by sseeya
Unless you always have somebody around to help you get in and out of your harness, you want pull-down adjusters not pull-up.
oh really? I just ordered them tonight and in the platinum series they only offer a pull up in a wrap around and cam lock. Is its really that hard to do by yourself? I didnt even think of it being a problem. This is the first time I have ever had to use them so this is all new to me. They also are not in stock right now so I can easily call and change my order to something else. They have another RCI belt with camlock and wrap around that are pull down but they are not the platnimum series and you wont get the 2 year re-cert... and they were the same price and in stock. So if its really going to be a problem I will call and change the order tonight. Should I?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:37 PM

My shoulder straps pull down to tighten and I pull them very tight right after I do my burnout. I think they all pull tight that way but to loosen the belts off you need to lift up on the strap lock. Some belt styles don't easily pull up with a single hand motion. Many times I feel it's easier to pull up on the lock with one hand while pulling the strap back out with another.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:52 PM

so in order for me to tighten the belt easily i will need a pull down adjuster not a pull up adjuster as sseeya said?
Old 03-04-2004, 09:56 PM

Well, I called Summit. They dont offer the RCI platnium with pull down and wrap around. So they searched thru numerous catalogs looking for a harness that would work and that they would have in stock. Of all the brands out there the only one was a Simpson. I was trying to avoind Simpson just because of the price but it was all they had. 5 point, 3" sub belt, camlock, individual shoulder harnesses with wraparound.... its exactly what I need (I think, lol) but its slightly more money. $199 to be exact, but I guess its worth it when it comes to saftey. I'd gladly spend more than that in go fast parts, so I shouldnt complain on the 1 item that can save your life....