Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

Which headers? And other suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 04:57 PM

Which headers? And other suggestions.

I'm looking to get some Headers for my 95 Z but not sure what I should go for. I use the car as a daily driver and since the nearest strip is 2 hours from here It will RARELY see the track. What do you guys think? My car is pretty much stock besides transmition work and K&N CAI. What else would you guys suggest besides headers as my next mod.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:52 PM

Re: Which headers? And other suggestions.

Boy did you just open the "headers can o' worms"...Long tubes are the preferred headers around here, BUT they are not emissions legal in most states because they all involve moving the Cat even though you can get them with all the emissions fittings. Some also take up a little more ground clearance than others...The common ones around here are the Hookers, Jet Hots, and Pacesetters...All seem to work well without any install nightmares.

I currently run LPE stainless 1 3/4" shorties because they were on the car when I got it and it used to be in an emissions state...I can't complain about them because the car runs great with them (see sig)...I think that any 1 3/4 shorty is fine..You'll see a big improvement over the stock "log" style manifolds.

Both have their advantages...You need to decide what your goals for the car are...Do a search, too as this topic seems to come up alot....

--Alan
Old 11-19-2005, 05:57 PM

See I think the guy that had the car before put shorties on it but i'm not sure what they are. I was looking to go to Hooker long tubes but not sure. How can I find out if long tube headers are legal in Texas? Anyone know where or if they are?
Old 11-21-2005, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1BadZ95
See I think the guy that had the car before put shorties on it but i'm not sure what they are. I was looking to go to Hooker long tubes but not sure. How can I find out if long tube headers are legal in Texas? Anyone know where or if they are?
Easy way would be to call up the emissions testing center and find out exactly what the regulations are. That is what I did. Seeing that you have a 95 though, you will probably have to do tailpipe emissions which will be difficult to pass with long tubes considering the difficulty in placing the cats. The shorties you have on there already are certainly better then the stock manifolds. Also, a search of previous posts can bring up alot of info. about header options as this is a pretty common question in the LT1/LT4 Tech. forum.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:29 PM

I did find out that they are legal. I think I'm going to go with some Coated LT Hookers if I can find some for a good price.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:38 PM

I did find out that they are legal. I think I'm going to go with some Coated LT Hookers if I can find some for a good price.
It sounds like you have your mind made up on the Hookers...SpeedEng. one of the boards supporting vendors is running a sale on the Pacesetters though. Also, even when they are regularly priced, you can still get a ceramic coated set for alot cheaper. I was able to get a ceramic coated set of long tubes and a y-pipe for a little over 500.00 Just my two cents. Good luck with what you decide.
Old 11-21-2005, 03:43 PM

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. You got Hookers or pacesetters or what? And you got them from where? Oh and also, what about any other mods?
Old 11-21-2005, 03:57 PM

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. You got Hookers or pacesetters or what? And you got them from where? Oh and also, what about any other mods?
Sorry if I was unclear. I have the Pacesetters and I got them from Summit as there were no sales going on at the time on this board. As for other mods., a good catback is another start. Once again, a search of previous posts will yield sound clips and lots of opinions. One of my favorite mods. was the mail-order PCM tune from www.madz28.com It was only 125.00 and it was definitely a noticable improvement. Not sure of what trans. you have or what kind of work you have done but a shift kit and higher stall converter are good upgrades for an automatic and a set of rearend gears will also help as well.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:01 PM

Already have a nice shift kit, was planning on gears also (3.73's). Also, I've been wondering this for awhile now and can't figure it out, what is "cat-back"? Thanks for the help.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:06 PM

In a nutshell, it is the exhaust that runs from the catalytic converter back. So basically it includes the I-pipe, the muffler, and the tailpipes. There are several brands on the market and can be found on the supporting vendors websites ie: Borla, Hooker, Flowmaster, Magnaflow, ect. are all popular brands.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:09 PM

Ok makes perfect sence now! lol, thanks alot!
Old 11-22-2005, 11:27 PM

Ok noob question... What does a higher stall converter do?