Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

60 ft times with 2800 vig and list mods,tires,etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:27 AM

60 ft times with 2800 vig and list mods,tires,etc.

I am starting to wonder if the tranny shop actually installed my vig 2800 since wasn't there to actually see them put it in.
I haven't been back to the track since getting it in there and wondering what can be expected from a 2800 vig in terms of 60ft.
I have 3.42 gears,minor mods like magnaflow catback,g2 induction,asp underdrive balancer,hypertech to correct for gears and my 160stat and shift points and thats about it.I have nitto drag 275/40r/17 on now. I do have some big mods to install..zex wet kit and next season have my cc305 and 1.6 rockers with some planned macs and LE2 heads.
I have played around with my tazzo vpc but so far best 60ft I can get not at the track is 2.06.
At the track best before the stall and underdrive on nittos was a 2.18 but was not heating up the nittos. I was at 24psi for the test yesterday and heated them up for a bit.I still seem to get some spin and think the car did dead hook before the stall. The converter is not really noticeable in the car it don't seem to slip at all off the line that I notice in normal driving starting to think I shoud have went up to a 3200 or higher maybe.I have a 2400 b and m in my 80 ta but its seems very loose and obvious in that car course its behind a big 400 engine.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:46 AM

Re: 60 ft times with 2800 vig and list mods,tires,etc.

that does seem bad for any stall conv.. Id think you should be in the 1.8's even on a mid 13 sec. car. atleast the 1.9's. since you are spinning, you do need to figure out the burnout technique cause you should be able to hook with 3?42 gears and that low of a stall conv. Id think. there is an inspection cover you can take off(or atleast part. drop) to make sure they did install the conv. the stock conv. will be bare metal and a vigi will be brightly painted. not sure what color. try to footbrake stall it up and see how high you can get the rpms before the car eithe rmoves forward or spins the tires. a stock one prolly wouldnt get to 2K rpm, but the 2800 should get to around 23-2400 rpm like that.
dont forget that the track conditions could have caused the slower 60 times too.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:52 AM

hey good idea on the inspection plate..The vig is purple .I think its installed and the car did dead hook on the 3.42 and nittos and doesn't now so likely its in there but it seems stock tight with my 3.42s. I am pretty sure I can stall the car up higher but now am curious and will make 100% sure the vig is in the car .Very next time its in the air will take the cover off if there is one.There is none on my ls1 car. This shop sells homemade stalls too but can't see them switching them and keeping my vig but you never know sometimes what people do!
I haven't tried to air down the nittos and really heat them up. And think someone said they don't hook that great new. I have maybe 50 miles on this set and the other set had last year were new too but sold them as they were flatspotting after sitting two years on buddies car.I got brand new ones a few days ago.
Should I air them down on the street to race buddies to 18 or so .I have been leaving them at 24 as heard they will wear the centers out at 30psi.

Any other opinionis on this..
Anyway lets hear some vig 2800 60fts.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:25 PM

there is a cover, it covers the whole bottom side, instead of the little plate like the LS1 has. I had the best success with my nittos around 22. shouldnt need to go much lower than that at all. I drove around at 30 on mine, about4k miles and they were like new almost when I sold them. the tread depth only worn off 1/32" and it was from the middle. I think the only time they dont hook so good when there new is when you FIRST put them on. as if you installed them, trailered the car to the track, and then tried to hook. since you have some street miles on them, Id think they were heat cycled a few times already. but some people say they do hook harder and harder after alot of use. my burnout routine was drop back to first, floor it till redline, shift into sec. gear and let off the break. spining forward till your out of the box and let off and roll to the beams. that'll get them good and warm w/o wearing them out too much. just think the faster the tire rpm, the more heat/quicker. thats why the stick guys burnout in 2 or 3 gear.
good luck