Drag Racing Technique Improve your track times

03 Cobra vs. 99 Z28 Supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 09:41 PM

He was talking abou blower pullies - not underdrive pullies.
Ahhhhhhhh. OK, 'cause otherwise it made absolutely NO sense to me.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:48 PM

5.4 is just an example, 4.6 is closing in on the 6 second zone. The LT-1 has been around all of one year less than the modular, but it is still slower. I am no modular fan but facts are facts.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:44 AM

Ok i knew this was going to start some kind of argument..

Well i wasnt asking which one would hold up or not. I just wanted to know who you guys think would win the race. But in my opinion i think the 03 Cobra would hold up a lot better....i mean i have no blower and really no serious mods and my tranny already went out with 33,000 miles. the original question was not about twin turbo or any internals.

03 Cobra .......smaller pulley, catback, headers, x-pipe, computer chip, and CAI. Estimate = 460rwhp

VS.

99 Z28.........vortech or procharger running 8psi, catback, headers, ORY, LS6 intake, ASP pulley, tuning, fuel pump....
Estimate= ?
Old 10-06-2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by redlt1z28
Ok i knew this was going to start some kind of argument..

Well i wasnt asking which one would hold up or not. I just wanted to know who you guys think would win the race. But in my opinion i think the 03 Cobra would hold up a lot better....i mean i have no blower and really no serious mods and my tranny already went out with 33,000 miles. the original question was not about twin turbo or any internals.

03 Cobra .......smaller pulley, catback, headers, x-pipe, computer chip, and CAI. Estimate = 460rwhp

VS.

99 Z28.........vortech or procharger running 8psi, catback, headers, ORY, LS6 intake, ASP pulley, tuning, fuel pump....
Estimate= ?
Cobras with just pulley and chip are putting out 460 rwhp. Add the rest and you are closing in on 500 rwhp. I think it would be close although the LS-1 weighs less.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:48 PM

Which costs more an '03 Cobra or a '99 Z28? I think the Cobra is about $35k and the '99 Z28 can be had for about $15k. That would mean you have $20k to put into quite a few parts for the Z28... lol

Brian
Old 10-07-2003, 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Y2kPewterSS
Which costs more an '03 Cobra or a '99 Z28? I think the Cobra is about $35k and the '99 Z28 can be had for about $15k. That would mean you have $20k to put into quite a few parts for the Z28... lol

Brian
If we play this game I get a $2,000 5.0 and kick the crap out of both for less. The question was bolt ons versus bolt ons and blower, not spending 20 grand on one versus a few thousand on another.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:48 PM

I was attempting to make light of this conversation that went dreadfully wrong...

Anyway that was not the original question which is why the conversation diverged so drastically.

You seem to know everything so I'm just gonna leave it at that. I was just trying to make a joke.

Brian
Old 10-07-2003, 04:06 PM

haha.it did go of course but a question like this always turns heated.no hard feelings here.

i just recently read about a 4.6 that ran a 6 and an ls1 powered fbody running low 8s.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:56 PM

I was attempting to make light of this conversation that went dreadfully wrong...

Anyway that was not the original question which is why the conversation diverged so drastically.

You seem to know everything so I'm just gonna leave it at that. I was just trying to make a joke.

Brian
You should put a smilie or something, because I can not read minds, and these arguents about "well you have 20,000 over to mod so and so" have cluttered the lounge and have now spilled over into here apparently. If everyone would stop posting the same **** over and over again (this topic has been posted numerous times) then these problems would not crop up.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:53 PM

I put "lol" at the end of the post.

With over 14000 posts yourself, apparently idiots like myself posting things that are completely useless for people like yourself to read is keeping you coming back to the message board. Maybe you can become a moderator and delete the useless comments I have to make. I just come to the message board to enjoy reading everyone's comments (about camaros), but some take it as a good place to display their superiority.

Brian
Old 10-08-2003, 12:43 AM

I put "lol" at the end of the post.

With over 14000 posts yourself, apparently idiots like myself posting things that are completely useless for people like yourself to read is keeping you coming back to the message board. Maybe you can become a moderator and delete the useless comments I have to make. I just come to the message board to enjoy reading everyone's comments (about camaros), but some take it as a good place to display their superiority.

Brian
Sorry that you apparently have a bug up your ***, that's your problem and not mine. I have been here a long time, nearly 5 years and have seen members come and go. If you see yourself as an idiot, I am not one to argue, but I have not called you a name in this post. If you continue with this attitude and can't take the heat you sure as hell will not last long on this board.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:03 PM

So how do you call the 03 Cobras motor stock? There is not even a single ford part in it. Since when did Ford start making manley H-beam rods? Ford had to put a blower on just to beat the LS1. Sorry to get off the subject (johnny) inside joke. It might be a close race but nothing this blown LS1 cant handle.
Old 10-08-2003, 09:16 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by NASTY-TA
It might be a close race but nothing this blown LS1 cant handle.
Sweet! Someone who's not voting for the damn blue oval!!! I agree with you, I think the blown LS1 has a good chance. I remember when the 390HP Cobra was first coming out and a lot of guys were b!tching 'cause Ford was building a faster car, so guys screamed "...well put a blower on the LS1 and see which car wins then..." and yet now there are a bunch of guys here saying the Cobra will probably win?!

I say LS1 all the way! (I'm just not gonna throw huge money on this one 'til we find out the final results! ).
Old 10-09-2003, 12:16 AM

Originally posted by NASTY-TA
So how do you call the 03 Cobras motor stock? There is not even a single ford part in it. Since when did Ford start making manley H-beam rods? Ford had to put a blower on just to beat the LS1. Sorry to get off the subject (johnny) inside joke. It might be a close race but nothing this blown LS1 cant handle.
Would you like cheese with that whine? Ford could have gone with the 5.4 from the Cobra R and stomped the **** stock vs. stock out of the LS-1 with no blower and less displacement. Cobra R produces the same HP with no blower and ran 112-113 stock in the R, so your argument holds no water. They weren't going for the LS-1 in the first place, why set your sights on a dead car? It is stock. Last time I checked the block is Fords, the crank is the same Ford crank used in the previous Cobra, the pistons are Fords, the heads are Fords etc. Looks like your argument again hold no water. I guess you consider the 5.0's from 85-92 not stock either since they used TRW pistons? This has to be one of the most retarded arguments I have ever heard on this board, and it is funny as usual to see LS-1 owners whine and cry like little rice boys "whaaa, they had to put a blower to beat my LS-1, whaaaaaaaaa

Get over it already.

Last edited by scott9050; 10-09-2003 at 12:19 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Capn Pete
Sweet! Someone who's not voting for the damn blue oval!!! I agree with you, I think the blown LS1 has a good chance. I remember when the 390HP Cobra was first coming out and a lot of guys were b!tching 'cause Ford was building a faster car, so guys screamed "...well put a blower on the LS1 and see which car wins then..." and yet now there are a bunch of guys here saying the Cobra will probably win?!

I say LS1 all the way! (I'm just not gonna throw huge money on this one 'til we find out the final results! ).
Again apples vs. oranges. When people replied with the 99-01 Cobras that all you needed was gears to run side by side with an LS-1, people whined and cried that all that mattered was stock versus stock. Funny how the shoe changes foot when the LS-1 is no longer king. People seem to equate the fact that being slower means inferior, an argument most grown up people know better than. Fact of the matter is that when you start modding all bets are off and whoever has the most money will most likely win, which in reality does not prove a damn thing. Fastest Cobra is already in the mid 9's and in the mid 150's with the entire stock engine block, apparently the guy had money.

Quick Reply: 03 Cobra vs. 99 Z28 Supercharged?