Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

We need a "how to tune walkthrough"

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 01:44 AM

http://www.carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/

More information in that link than anywhere else on the net.

THIS one too.

the next LINK is a page from the first link and im posting it to be sure everyone takes careful notice.

have fun

Last edited by turbo_Z; 07-19-2003 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:31 PM

Yeah, that's the best place I have found for useful info. Sort of all over the place though and does not have a real starting point and procedure.

Jeff D.
Old 07-22-2003, 05:06 PM

This would be awsome... here some Ideas...

A trouble shooting for common problems

And definatly a describtion of what sensors do what....
like im sometimes confused what exactly the O2s are changing with the fuel trim and the BLMs

but also other sensors

And then a how to on stock cams

A good Theroryolgics(sp) talk or explaination would help ppl do it on there own

ANd lastly a data base of good baseline progrms
Old 07-22-2003, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
http://www.carprogrammer.com/Z28/PCM/

More information in that link than anywhere else on the net.

THIS one too.

the next LINK is a page from the first link and im posting it to be sure everyone takes careful notice.

have fun
Yeah Christian does have some good ideas and links. Everything I have learned however has been through trial and error or by finding bits and pieces throughout the net (including this board). It would be nice to have it all in one place.

Dan K, you anywhere close to being able to show us something based upon your earlier post?

As for that optimized spark, that is an interesting theory that he does not go into enough detail about. What about PE mode? What about 100% TPS? Hell at 100, we want max MAP! What did I miss in that portion of the page?

Ben
Old 07-22-2003, 08:57 PM

Talking wow....not asking for much are we!

Guys, I haven't gotten much of a chance to work on it.
Odds are I won't for a while. Sorry.
But I must say that all I was going to do was a how to tune your car, not really a synopsis of modern fuel injection systems.
No troubleshooting, no explaining sensors, nothing really like that.
There already was a site that people could upload and download bin files from....I think it disappeared.
I think what Mikey97Z asked for was all I was going to do.
Just a "how to tune" walkthrough. You know, start with constants and flags, set up the speedometer stuff, set up shift points on an A4, then move on to idle, then part throttle, and finally wot and pe mode. There...there's your walkthrough.
I just wish I had the time to work on it more and do a little more research myself.
Maybe someday I'll be able to suprise you all and post it, but right now it's not going to happen as I just don't have the time.

Last edited by Dan K; 07-22-2003 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:06 PM

Originally posted by 95Blackhawk

As for that optimized spark, that is an interesting theory that he does not go into enough detail about. What about PE mode? What about 100% TPS? Hell at 100, we want max MAP! What did I miss in that portion of the page?

Ben
He was trying to explain how you can tune your car for optimal spark timing which means the spark timing that is most efficient. since too much timing hurts power as bad as too little, this is a way to get it just right. if i had a laptop i would try out his theory. bad thing is that its only for part throttle tuning because im sure WOT 100% tps must be done on a dyno thru tial and error like always since WOT like you say is max MAP and does not change.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:14 PM

Originally posted by turbo_Z
He was trying to explain how you can tune your car for optimal spark timing which means the spark timing that is most efficient. since too much timing hurts power as bad as too little, this is a way to get it just right. if i had a laptop i would try out his theory. bad thing is that its only for part throttle tuning because im sure WOT 100% tps must be done on a dyno thru tial and error like always since WOT like you say is max MAP and does not change.
I think you are right regarding his part throttle timing only. However, on my car I do have my MAP decrease as a function of RPM. The higher the RPM, the lower the MAP at WOT. Now of course I go from 99 at 2000 to 94 at 5800 RPM on average (using an average on a scatter graph) so its is not much. However, Christian's writings did make me wonder regarding this phenomenon.

I really wish there was a better way to tune our timing at WOT other than T & E. The only thing I can say is I am sure that the GM engineers did a good job on the stock timing map. However, with all our mods, that will no doubt change what should be optimum. As for me, I run 3 degrees less at WOT than stock. The only consolation regarding my non-optimized timing map is the fact that I probably would not gain much with a truly optimized one.

Ben
Old 07-24-2003, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by bruecksteve
I'd be happy to use my website for hosting. It's my own server and it's not going anywhere. I can't tell you how many times lately I've clicked on a link and the site is gone!
Well, since I do not want this to die, are you still up for using your server? Somehow we have to piece together our info on this from everyone who knows a little something about tuning.

Any thoughts on how to do that through a server and make it a document that can constantly change?

Ben
Old 07-25-2003, 10:40 AM

Ben,

You got an email. Let me know what ya think.

Daniel
Old 08-06-2003, 12:03 PM

Bumping this back up, I cannt believe w/ all the gurus out there nobody has done one yet.

Jeff D.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:28 PM

I can understand to a certain extent. It's how they make money and that would take people away from their services.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:18 PM

FYI, Daniel (Tails) has been talking with me and currently he has a forum just started on this subject on a new website he developed.

There main difference from any other forum you may see. He is intending to create an area where us tuners can put in our knowledge in a document that would keep expanding and improving as others add to it. This is really what I want to see. All of us that play around with our PCM's know a little bit of the big puzzle and together we could create a nice How To manual.

Since this is really his baby, I am going to let him determine when he wants to start advertising for it. I think soon.

Ben
Old 08-06-2003, 02:25 PM

Yeah I just shot PM's to DanK, bruecksteve, and PoorMan informing them of it. I'm shooting to get it online by next week. I've emailed JasonD the site but haven't heard anything back from him. So I'll keep it on a PM or email basis until he gives me permission to pimp the site here..

Edit: Also Ben YGM..

Tails
Old 08-06-2003, 04:33 PM

i would just like a site that will tell me what all the tables means.
becuase my help section of my tunercat software doesnt work. beats me as to why
Old 08-06-2003, 09:56 PM

Originally posted by 97Z-M6
i would just like a site that will tell me what all the tables means.
becuase my help section of my tunercat software doesnt work. beats me as to why
E-mail TC...he'll tell you why or what file you're missing.
I want to guess it's the formlib file?

Quick Reply: We need a "how to tune walkthrough"