Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

We need a "how to tune walkthrough"

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 05:47 AM

We need a "how to tune walkthrough"

Does one exsist for all us that do cam/heads or whatever? Something with a walkthrough on what to do first, like run datamaster and look at blah,blah first because of blah, blah. Then do blah,blah because of blah, blah. Then log a run again, etc..

Jeff D.
Old 07-12-2003, 02:45 PM

I 2nd this
Old 07-12-2003, 05:01 PM

I've thought about starting on one and then having others add to it and correct it.
Finding the time and others to help might be rough.
If anyone is interested in helping me write one let me know.

Edit: I'll start on one this week. I'll try to have it done by this weekend. In no way, shape, or form is it exactly how everyone should tune their car...but it would be how I'd do it if I were doing my own car. Maybe I can get the forum admin to post it as a sticky at the top of the page and we can add to it/modify it as more opinions are given by others.

Last edited by Dan K; 07-13-2003 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:29 PM

That would be great Dan. At least it would be a work in progress. I'm sure some of the major programmers wouldn't want to participate (money talks) but maybe they could at least add some corrections etc. I'm also VERY interested in the transmission side of the programming.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:21 PM

Dan,

Good idea. Would you have a website we can link to for this tutorial? You know others have built websites from this forum and no one uses them because they are not stickies. I'll throw in my 2 pennies worth of knowledge and we can throw around ideas/theories.

A nice one done was someone (wish I remember who) put all of their LT1 Edit and TunerCat tunes on a website for all to visit. Very good idea they had, but unless it is a sticky of some sort, it won't be used. Luckily I saved that as a favorite.

Ben
Old 07-15-2003, 04:54 AM

I'd be happy to use my website for hosting. It's my own server and it's not going anywhere. I can't tell you how many times lately I've clicked on a link and the site is gone!
Old 07-15-2003, 06:19 AM

This sounds like a great idea.
Old 07-15-2003, 08:43 AM

Great idea and Thanks to Dan for attempting such a job.

I am a dumbarse when it comes to this and can't even figure out where I should start.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:37 PM

Guys, I have started to piece something together.
What are we talking about here? Do you guys want something that is just a basic how to get started, or do you want something that gets into detail with tuning and datalogging? Trans stuff I don't know a whole lot about. Some of you will know more than I will about that.
Something basic, say for stockish bolt on cars, I could have done pretty quick.
If you want me to get into detail on how I've done a couple heads/cam cars before...I can. But that's going to take some time, plus I'm going to need the input of others before I'd even post my opinions on how you should tune your car.
Besides, who am I to tell you how to tune your car? Mines stock!
Old 07-15-2003, 10:39 PM

I would like to know details of how to tune the car in idle, part throttle, and WOT. I dont care how long its gunna take to tune, as long as its done right. But maybe a quick tune also for some who dont have as much free time as I do. If there are conflicts in experienced tuners ideas, post them both, state that there are different ideas, and if possible get that tuner to say why his idea is better, as to let each person chose what idea might be better, also to allow different methods to work on different cars.
Thanks guys this will really help out alot and is appreciated.
Old 07-16-2003, 08:38 AM

Dan,

I say start with the basics and make it a living document we can change as we get more info.

Post what you want from any of us that are willing to edit/add to the document.

Monk, I agree we could break it down into different sections and for sure we need multiple opinions as I see other tuning differently from me.

Ben
Old 07-17-2003, 06:04 PM

Maybe break it down into SPARK and FUEL, then further into WOT, Idle, and Part Throttle.

Include tuning ideas like adjusting MAF tables to fix BLMs.
And leave out ideas like using VE Master on a MAF car.
Old 07-17-2003, 06:11 PM

The basic theory of operation and definitions (and examples where it fits) of the terminology. We can even have a place to download .bin files etc. Screen shots of tables and datalogs with notations. I can help do images.

Last edited by bruecksteve; 07-17-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:32 PM

Here's an example that would help me.

I'm sitting here staring at my transmission tables, specifically the Performance Up/Down Shift Points. What I'd like to see is an explaination of exactly what I'm looking at. I understand that % TPS is the amount of throttle opening, I understand 1 -> 2 (and so on) and MPH but explain, using a real world example, what it means when I see 25% TPS and 2 -> 3 says 35MPH.... what happens?? The problem with the tables is you can't see the logic that takes place in the background, HOW the logic uses these cells to figure out what to do AND what it means in the real world, does it mean that (from the example above) if I'm running about 25% throttle and I'm in 2nd gear, my car will shift to 3rd at 35MPH? (IS that what it means?).

The downshifts I have a HARDER time understanding. Some simple yet graphic examples would go A LONG way in helping me.

And it could be the values read from this table are use along with values from another table, maybe a pressure modifier table (just made that up ) which you would never know just by looking. It's those hidden interrelationships that you've got to know or figure out.

I enjoyed the post not long ago about WOT tuning. The quoted discussion got in to those complex formula's and how he could eliminate part of the formula (a variable) to get it tuned (sounds like it worked!). I want to go back and save that to read.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:43 PM

It's those hidden interrelationships that you've got to know or figure out.
Great point. I think it would be a major step to make it known what tables effect others and so work on these tables first. I mean, why work on a table if its effects will be changed by later working on other tables? I believe most of the important tables use values that are percentages of values from other tables. If this is so then comparing the same tables with someone else would give different results if one of their other tables were different. This would lead to confusion on why similar values would not work for everyone.

Jeff D.

Quick Reply: We need a "how to tune walkthrough"