Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

WB 02 location...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 07:03 PM

WB 02 location...

I installed my WB sensor on the drivers side header near the y-pipe flange. I thought about having another o2 bung welded in the passenger side header but not really sure if its necessary. I'd have to swap back and forth between each side since I only have 1 sensor with the lc1.

Anways, is there much of a difference between each bank that I should do this? It would be great to hear from anyone that has WB o2's in each bank and what difference in a/f you are seeing.
I would think if your tune is fairly close and you don't have any major differences between each side you should be within .5 of each other.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:27 PM

That's exactly what I did, and I was gonna post this same question you did... ha

Now with it being only the DSide side it doesnt get an averaging effect... but being on the Dside it also gets the last of the fuel supply assuming your on the stock rail setup.

Now if your like me and pushing the capacity of the stock fuel rails (~650hp flywheel hp with 45psi and 83lb injectors) then having the 02 sensor only on the Dside may be saving the motor from possible undetected lean Bank of cylinders which leads to untimate death - knock.. here's my theory:

We all agree that a single 02 sensor reporting anything more than 1 cylinder is actually an average of the two cylinders, so 1 02 sensor on 8 cylinders is reporting an average (14AFR on right side and 10AFR on left side will = ~12AFR overall).

Looking at the stock fuel rail, the Dside is the last side to get fuel, it enters from the pass side and goes across a bridge to the Dside and exits the back Dside cylinder, so under WOT it's possible the back Dside injectors could be at less pressure than the Pass side injectors, with eight 83lb injectors it's definately possible the last 4 injecors in the line could get less fuel than the first 4. Based on this theory I concluded @ WOT the left side could actually run leaner than the right side... right?

To further back up my unsureity, the fuel pressure shrader port is on the inlet side, before any fuel injectors so there's no way to monitor fuel pressure after the injectors.. just before.

One more point which I adds to my reasoning, I thought I used to see some black smoke @ WOT with as high as ~12.5-13AFR at WOT.. not sure where exactly black smoke was coming from with 12.5-13AFR but after thinking about the fuel rail restrictions I started wondering if the right side was producing black smoke from 10-11AFR while the left side was actually burning clean @ 12.5-13AFR.

So, for engine longevity reasons I chose to leave the sensor where it is rather than after the Y... until I build the unlimate budget fuel rail that is.

Last edited by dookie454; 07-01-2008 at 09:32 PM.