Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

tuning newbie...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 01:50 AM

Exclamation tuning newbie...

There are quite a few newbies to tuning and I am one of them. What I would like is some guidance on what I can do to improve the way my car drives. I bought it last year and have finaly had enough of the pig rich exhaust, bogging on acceleration and stuttering above 5k. I have replaced everything in the ignition system and had the injectors cleaned/balanced by RC Engineering so that is not an issue. I would like some assistance in helping me get this car to perform the way it should.

Mods:
Throttle Body bypass
MSD Blaster coil
Taylor OVC wires
NGK TR-6 plugs
Jet Hot Long Tube headers
True-Dual (no x/h) exhaust
SLP CAI
224/230 536/544 111 Lsa
1.6 rockers

My current tune - TunerCat
Datalog run - 1st/2nd/3rd/4th - TTS DataMaster

Can someone please take a look at these and tell me what to change, where and most importantly why? Unfortunately I do not have a wideband setup, I will do a couple of dyno runs before & after but would like to only make the trip to the dyno once.

Thankyou!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:02 AM

Re: tuning newbie...

Originally Posted by 04toy
There are quite a few newbies to tuning and I am one of them. What I would like is some guidance on what I can do to improve the way my car drives. I bought it last year and have finaly had enough of the pig rich exhaust, bogging on acceleration and stuttering above 5k. I have replaced everything in the ignition system and had the injectors cleaned/balanced by RC Engineering so that is not an issue. I would like some assistance in helping me get this car to perform the way it should.

Mods:
Throttle Body bypass
MSD Blaster coil
Taylor OVC wires
NGK TR-6 plugs
SLP CAI
224/230 536/544 111 Lsa
1.6 rockers

My current tune - TunerCat
Datalog run - 1st/2nd/3rd/4th - TTS DataMaster

Can someone please take a look at these and tell me what to change, where and most importantly why? Unfortunately I do not have a wideband setup, I will do a couple of dyno runs before & after but would like to only make the trip to the dyno once.

Thankyou!
I'm no expert but here are my thoughts. I here nothing but bad things about the Taylor wires on this site so mabey that's one. Also check for leaks behind the o2 sensor or see what the o2 sensor is reading. A bad o2 or leak behind it made my car pig rich.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:05 AM

I have the boots over the wires and they are routed so that there is no issue and I've tested each wire individualy with an inline spark checker and they seem to be ok. Also checked for any exhaust leaks and none there.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:10 AM

Well, I'm hitting the dyno tomm. just to find out exactly what the car is doing as far as air/fuel goes. I will log all the pulls and if I can I will start looking at possibily reducing the duty cycle on the injectors to see if that helps. Any ideas on that? Is it a good thing or bad?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:09 AM

Well did the dyno pulls and smell is just due to no cats...in fact the car was running very lean - fixed that and found out that the ignition is starting to stumble around 5k so I have something to fix there. Also I figured I would at least break into the 300rwhp range with all the mods but it barely pulled off 287 - all the pulls were halted at 5k due to the ignition issue. Looking back through the data logs I'm getting massive burt knock - it did not sound like it was knocking so I'm thinking that it's related to the mods. Is there any way to determine if the car is really knocking?
Old 10-03-2005, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by 04toy
Well did the dyno pulls and smell is just due to no cats...in fact the car was running very lean - fixed that and found out that the ignition is starting to stumble around 5k so I have something to fix there. Also I figured I would at least break into the 300rwhp range with all the mods but it barely pulled off 287 - all the pulls were halted at 5k due to the ignition issue. Looking back through the data logs I'm getting massive burt knock - it did not sound like it was knocking so I'm thinking that it's related to the mods. Is there any way to determine if the car is really knocking?
I hope to hit the dyno today. What are your mods?
Old 10-05-2005, 01:34 PM

Mods:
Throttle Body bypass
MSD Blaster coil
Taylor OVC wires
NGK TR-6 plugs
SLP CAI
224/230 536/544 111 Lsa
1.6 rockers
---------------------------------

Did you get a chance to get your car up on the dyno?