Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

PCM4less -vs- Madwolf tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 10:47 PM

Re: PCM4less -vs- Madwolf tuning

The one car Dan K was talking about was mine. On the dyno, the AF was dangerously lean, and as he said was totally off. I guess you get what you pay for in a mail order tune I am just glad that I had someone local (Dan K) who knew what he was doing and corrected the problem. Hell he even tuned my new Joe Overton cam which makes the GM 847 and CC306 cams look like baby cams Never again will I pay for a mail order tune, I will just pay Dan K to take of any tuning issues that may arise
Old 10-27-2004, 06:46 PM

I had PCMforless tune in my '97 and the car also went dangerously lean on the dyno (14:1+). However, the timing was ok. I richened the tune up and kept the PCMforless timing tables in the car and it ran well.
Old 10-27-2004, 07:16 PM

I'm very happy with my Madwolf tune.
Just put in my 9 psi pulley and everything seems great even without the water injection hooked up.
Both tuners are great guys.
Ion charges less.
I think he has less overhead being younger and newer.
Bryan is older and probably has a building to pay for.
Just my guess...
Old 10-28-2004, 11:28 AM

The pricing is very close to the same especially when you consider we don't charge for shipping for all camaroz28.com members and chips are 15% off
Old 10-28-2004, 11:50 AM

I cant complain with either one. Bryan helped me out with my first stock tune and I even talked to him on the phone while I was flashing the PCM b/c it was giving me strange error codes so he definitely has outstanding support.

Then the day came where I totalled out my PCM but Bryan had no spares at the time or something of that nature so I went to Ion. He sent me out a new one the next day! Then I fried that one and bought a socketed PCM.. he has always been fast to get to my emails and I talked to him on the phone a time or 2.

Both are equally good IMO. People who get upset over a surging car or incorrect AFR on teh dyno obviously dont understand what its like to tune a car thru EMAIL!... I would never even try as there are so many variables like Bryan listed that a guy could attempt in correcting for months with no positive results.

And then there is Alvin... well I cant say much about him since Im not into chips but he sounds like a good guy.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by turbo_Z
People who get upset over a surging car or incorrect AFR on teh dyno obviously dont understand what its like to tune a car thru EMAIL!... I would never even try as there are so many variables like Bryan listed that a guy could attempt in correcting for months with no positive results.
Then don't try!
If someone is selling a service the last thing you should expect is an inferior product, or better yet a service that could potentially cost you money if done incorrectly.
You're almost getting into whether or not someone is competent enough to provide a service such as this.
And that's where guys like Bryan, Alvin, and Ion are sticking there necks out for some of you guys and just hoping that they don't have any major problems.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dan K
Then don't try!
If someone is selling a service the last thing you should expect is an inferior product, or better yet a service that could potentially cost you money if done incorrectly.
You're almost getting into whether or not someone is competent enough to provide a service such as this.
And that's where guys like Bryan, Alvin, and Ion are sticking there necks out for some of you guys and just hoping that they don't have any major problems.
Well, the truth is a lot of cars would run just fine w/o any tuning.. hotcam people. And no its not really about being competent at all. I just believe aside from changing injector size, rev/speed limiter, gearing and minor timing adjustments... theres not a whole lot a guy can do thru the mail w/o some data logging but if you are data logging then chances are you probably do a lot of your own tuning anyway. People expect their cars to run absolutely flawless with these tunes so it takes a certain breed with a decent amount of patience to deal with the people who come back for adjustments based on their personal observations... I couldnt do it.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:35 PM

Thats sorta a half statement. They will run, they will also wash out the cylindar walls.

The hotcam guys can pickup anywhere from 25-35rwhp from a tune.. Sometimes more than that.

The mail orderstuff we do usually gets people dead on the money as far as AFR etc.. When the AFR fails short of what we want or theres some other problem with it we go over it. FREE of charge of course. But like I said MOST of the time its extremely close (down to within 5rwhp) and this has been proven at our dyno days.

Now, the problem lies with people who don't give feedback on how the tune is doing. If you get a tune from us and you don't mention that the AFR is off, or the car is surging, or that your at extreme altitudes and somethings not right with it than we can fix it. Its as simple as that.

Tell us about the problem and we will fix it.

Anthor thing is don't trust email to work everytime. If you don't hear back from us than let us know by phone.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dan K
Then don't try!
I've never been accredited to killing a motor and on every setup I do that looks extreme to me I warn the guy we need feedback to make sure its correct.

Also, we dont' turn away from people with our tunes. If a problem should exsist and we know about it we fix it. As simple as that.

I'm sure Ion has the same policys
Old 10-28-2004, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ROOSTER93V8
Thats sorta a half statement. They will run, they will also wash out the cylindar walls.

The hotcam guys can pickup anywhere from 25-35rwhp from a tune.. Sometimes more than that.

The mail orderstuff we do usually gets people dead on the money as far as AFR etc.. When the AFR fails short of what we want or theres some other problem with it we go over it. FREE of charge of course. But like I said MOST of the time its extremely close (down to within 5rwhp) and this has been proven at our dyno days.
I dont know how you guys do it anymore but 2 years ago I could quickly determine if a file was from PCMforless because the timing tables looked almost identical no matter what combo you had... +/-2 degree changes in the WOT ranges but the rest of the table looked the same. Also the PE tables and VE tables varied little if at all.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:22 AM

saw this thread, so i'll dig it back up, and input my experience as well...

Ion was very helpful when i was getting my car tuned, and he answered some questions that I had... but my AFR was low/mid 10s all the time (actually i dont think it was tune related, not sure wth was going on) then I asked if he can send me a stock tune for my car, and he never replied...

then pcmforless... I asked them if they could make my tune stock, and would pay if i needed to... bryan was to ask i heard, and he told me to email him, and i did, but i got nothing back...

best way is to do it yourself and not rely on others i guess...
Old 03-17-2005, 05:41 PM

I have had my tune for a week now and I am completely happy with it. Ion is great to deal with. The thing I like most on what was changed is the shift firmness! and being able to know how fast I'm going (4.10 gears)
Old 03-17-2005, 06:02 PM

I'm very happy with my MadZ tune..
First thing I noticed was the big difference with firm shifts. I'm probably exaggerated but almost feels like a mild valvebody shift kit is in it, yes it feels that good. I noticed there's no bogging down and when I let off off the pedal it maintains it's cruise. What I love the most is no dead spots! Very excellent throttle response and the this is the best thing I've ever done to this car. I've had my tune for aabout a year now.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:14 PM

I have a madz28 tune as well. Tune was killer. Driveability is what amazed me the most. WOT tuning is relatively easy, but for driving, especially with a decent sized cam, it runs awesome. No problem cruising in 6th at 1600 rpms. I was getting 5* of retard throughout the dyno run, I zeroed it out and made about 5 hp more, otherwise its dead on. Now I need to get it updated for the 30lb injectors - its running WAY to rich now, even with the constant changed.