Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

OBD-I or OBD-II? I have both. Also, a dyno tune question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:41 PM

OBD-I or OBD-II? I have both. Also, a dyno tune question.

Basic mods are in the sig, let me know if you need more details.

I have a '97 with a 383. I currently have an OBD-I PCM from Ion/Madwolf. In order to get through my emissions stuff, I'm going to need to put my OBD-II PCM back in there so the scanner will read it.

At this point I kind of need to make a decision. I wonder, generally, how close is a mail-order tune to a dyno tune? I'm going to need to spend money either way I think on this OBD-II to get it tuned for the new combo for my emissions test (really just a PCM scan).

If I'm going to get dyno tuned, am I better sticking with OBD-I or OBD-II and why? My memory is foggy; in 2004 when I put the car together, OBD-I was the way to go because of the availability of programs, low cost, ease of tune etc. I don't know if anything's changed recently that would make OBD-II a better choice.

Thank you.
- Dave

Last edited by Dave88LX; 05-25-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Re: OBD-I or OBD-II? I have both. Also, a dyno tune question.

1 - IMHO for self tuning OBD1 costs less, is easier to tune, and has less emission software to contend with. 2 - A dyno tune usually is better if the tuner runs-logs-tuns and repeats the process until peek performance is reached. You drive out completed after a couple of hours. Mail order basically does the same thing (assuming free re tunes after logs are sent in) but takes longer to load tune-street test-log results - email- re load new tune back an forth. 3- If you slap the OBD2 ECM back in are you sure you will pass emissions with your mods ? Depending on you local emission testing requirements, the OBD2 testing looks for certain numbers of the emission stuff hooked up and in ready status (EVAP, EGR, CAT's-rear O2's)
Old 05-27-2011, 07:13 PM

Local emissions testing on my car is just an OBD scan. No more rollers or sniffers thank goodness! I'm told that the OBD2 PCM can be set to read 'correctly' for what the scanner is looking for.

I'm pretty set on getting it dyno tuned. I wasn't sure if I should do it with the OBD1 or OBD2 PCM. Sounds like putting the OBD1 PCM back in after my emissions scan testing would be the way to go then?
Old 05-29-2011, 07:50 PM

Could definitely use some guidance here. They're getting snippy with me!

It's like Dave was frozen in 2002, only to be thawed out 9 years later and is bewildered by modern technology.
Dave is Encino Man.
I'm sorry but anybody who argues that an older ECU is "better" for tuning is just making excuses for not learning a modern ECU.
I would bet anybody who says an pre-OBD-II computer is the way to go, is the same type of person who changes the Vista/Windows 7 theme back to "classic windows 95" because they are "so irritated" by the new shell.
Well dave, I think you should retrofit TBI, or maybe even the early style "spring loaded flap" injection systems.
Yes, why is that so hard to understand?

You can pass smog and not switch back and forth. If it were my car, I'd rather make it work and then leave it alone.

If you want to switch back and forth and maintain tunes in two ECUs then go for it.
Let's be real about this Dave.

Let's assume, for argument's sake, that the earlier ECU offers the most ridiculous data logging ever. In fact, the datalogging has an AI engine that beams what you need to do with your tune, on the moon, with a laser and MAGNETS.

How often are you going to modify this car? Why does it matter to YOU if datalogging is easier, if you're not the one doing the tuning?

What matters to you is:

1) passing emissions so you can get tags

Man, what a long list of requirements. I hope you can find a solution to your dilemma here.

BTW, if you can prove to me that the older ECU makes more power because of its origin in the space-time continuum, I will cut off my own dick, **** myself in the *** with it, and eat it.

Bueller? Bueller?