Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Lost my PCM again using TunerCat....

Old 01-24-2003, 07:54 PM

hey yall,

Check this **** out. I got this letter from TUNER CAT via e-mail.

Dear C.A.T.S. Customer,

If you have recently updated to Version 1.98 of the Tuner program and are using the Tuner program in conjunction with the $EE ECM Definition File to program your PCM, please update to version 1.99 as soon as possible.

Version 1.98 has a bug in it that can result in your PCM not functioning properly. With version 1.98, if you make a change to the calibration and then immediately program your PCM without first saving the modified calibration file, an incorrect checksum will be programmed into the PCM. (The checksums are corrected for calibration changes when the calibration file is saved to disk.)This will prevent the PCM from operating properly.

The programming process will complete as normal without any error messages but the PCM will not function correctly after programming. You car will either not start or will start and immediately stall. The service light will flash and your fans will run.

To restore the PCM to normal operation, reprogram it with a valid calibration file (with the correct checksum). To create a valid calibration from version 1.98, either save any calibration changes to disk before programming your PCM or load a calibration file into the Tuner program and program the PCM with the loaded calibration file without making any changes to the loaded calibration.

You can download the update from version 1.98 to 1.99 from our web site at:

http://www.tunercat.com/software/tuner/update199.zip

To install the update, unzip the new wintuner.exe file that you downloaded and place the new file into your Tuner subdirectory, over-writing the old file.

This notice does not apply to the WinFlash program or the older DOS FLASH utilities.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best Regards,

TC

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU!!!

David Moss
Old 03-16-2003, 11:18 AM

While looking at the EMP-10 it says it will work with the N28F512, is this the same as our AN28F512 chips? I can't find the AN28F512 anywhere on the device list. http://www.needhams.com/emp-10ddevs.html#intel
Old 03-16-2003, 01:11 PM

Rodrigues

Rodrigues, Yes, the N28F512 is the AN28F512. I just got my EMP-10 a week ago and already programmed my Flash chips. It works great. If your going this route and you have already socketed your PCM and haven't lost it yet, when you get the EMP-10, pop each flash chip out, put it in your programmer and do a read on the flash chips and then save each one to a file. There .bin files. That way, if you ever lose one, you can reprogram the .bin file right back onto the flash chips and your good to go. Just remember if you don't already know already. Each side of your PCM is different. So when you copy your chips, make sure they go back in the same board and name your .bin files different. I believe one chip is an "E" and the other is a "T". You will also need a PLCC socket adapter to program the chips in the emp-10. Its a 32pin to 32pin PLCC adapter for use with chips above 1K. Needhams has them for about $95 dollars I think, but you can surf the web and find them cheaper. Cheapest i've found was about $75. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:45 PM

It doesnt come with a PLCC adapter?!
Old 03-16-2003, 04:42 PM

Nope..

Nope. It only comes with the Family module to program those flash chips, but not the adapter to stick the chips in. I'm sure some of the more expensive programmers come with the adapter or acutally accept those chips in the programmer, but the EMP-10 doesn't. Thats probably why it's the cheapest also, even though it still isn't cheap. It's a bummer, but guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I got my programmer brand new off Ebay for $175 and the adapter cost me another $80. So for $255 i'm fixing my own chips. I've lost quiet a few PCM's due to Tunercat issues and believe me, the programmer is well worth it now that I can do the fix myself vs sending the PCM out over and over. Hope that helps.
Ken R. 95Z
Old 03-16-2003, 07:26 PM

Where do you guys buy the solder in 32 pin zif sockets?!?!?!
Old 03-18-2003, 12:17 AM

Good thing I found this thread. Now I gotta go socket my PCM and I should be good to go. I've had my PP2 for a couple of years now since I used to tune TPI Cars. Good thing I didn't get rid of when I got rid of the TPI.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:25 AM

Would you guys buy spare chips if I sold them for $15 each? I found a source in Germany but the shipping would kill me. Wondering how many 28F512 chips I should order.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:59 AM

Rodrigues

Rodrigues, I would consider buying maybe a pair just to have as a back up. Have you been looking for a source for those chips? They are the intel chips, correct? I've read that any other brand doesn't seem to work even though their replacements for the intel chip. I kinda breezed through the internet looking at a few sites for the chips, but didn't put a lot of time into looking since I have a backup PCM already, so if I get into trouble, i'm not dead in the water. But another set of chips would be nice. Let me know.
Ken R. 95Z
Old 03-18-2003, 01:07 PM

I dont want to hyjack this but are the same problems had when using LT-1 edit? Is it just tunnercat?
Old 03-19-2003, 04:14 PM

Lost PCM again

This problem can occur with using either TC or with LT1 Edit. For those using TC you need to download their latest version update to version 1.99. There are some bug issues with using it with the EE deifnition which is our PCMs.

On another note, does anyone out there have a good running 396 or 383 with a CC306 cam in a 94/95 car? I would like to see a bin file from one you that would care to send me one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2003, 12:12 PM

Roguedriver, seeing how you have socketed your PCM and have replaced the flash chips. Do you have the exact number from the chip? I am asking because there are several versions of this chip from Intel. There are 120, 150 and 200nS speeds rated at 0 - 70c temperatures and then there are the same speeds but rated at -40 to +85c ratings.

Here are the Intel numbers:

0 - 70 temperature ratings:
N28F512-120
N28F512-150
N28F512-200

-40 - 85 temperature ratings:
TN28F512-120
TN28F512-200

I really don't think that it matters what speed we use in the PCMs as there is nothing in that PCM that will even require a 200nS rating. However the temperature rating maybe a factor seeing how in some areas we could see temperatures dipping into the lower temperatures. And I can see the added benefit of a chip to operate at the higher rated temperatures given where the PCM is mounted in the engine compartment. I work on several Corvette PCMs but they for some reason have 2 of these flash chips, does the F body have the same 2 Chips or just one?

Just my two bits worth.
Old 03-20-2003, 02:35 PM

tjwong

tjwong, I wasn't even aware that the N28F512 had different temp ratings. I don't believe the temp number is printed on the chip itself. I just don't remember. I'd have to look. All I don know is that the chip in the LT1 PCM's is the AN28F512. But I believe all the N28F512's can be programmed the same. In the EMP-10 programmers device list, I think it only lists the N28F512 so I would imagine the first letter (weather it be a T or an A) wouldn't matter. And yes, all the LT1 PCM's have 2 flash chips (one on each board) like the Corvettes. I think the LS1's are the same way. Hope that helps you out.

Ken R. 95Z
Old 03-21-2003, 02:40 AM

So when one "Fries" his PCM due to whatever programming problem, do you have to replace both flash chips? And I have heard that there is some kind of initiation HEX or BIN file that has to be loaded into the chips before they can be flashed with a working calibration file.

What is your procedure to do all of this? Do you flash your chips with the files before installing them into the PCM or do you just install fresh chips and perform a flash after assembly?
Old 03-21-2003, 11:54 AM

Here is the scoop from Intel. My kid sisters boy friend works for Intel so I had him make a inquiry. The AN28F512 chip is specifically made for the automotive industry. The "A" prefix is for automotive temperature range of -40 to 125C in our language it means -40 to 257 degF. It has to be that high to live in the enviroment that the PCM lives in which is the engine bay.

He also gave me a PDF spec file for that specific chip for those interested let me know an I will send it to you. Plus I have to initiation files that I got from Andy at AKM cables to load into these chips to get the PCM talking again.

I don't plan on socketing PCMs myself but I will if I have to. Seeing how Delphi is now using A1 Cardone to perform PCM rebuilding for them. Which means that a reman PCM that you would purchase from GM dealer will be remanufactured by them. I can tell you with confidence that A1 Cardone products SUCK, their QC is horrible and their failure rates are high. I can't imagine why Delphi went to them other than cost cutting!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost my PCM again using TunerCat....