Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Im about to give this car away

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 05:22 PM

Im about to give this car away

Hello all

i've been having this turn signal problem here for a while, maybe someone can shine some light on my problem here. I got a 1994 T/A. now since monday the turn signals stopped working. so i changed the fuse and nothing, i changed the flashers and still nothing. put all new bulbs snd sockets, checked all the wiring and still nothing. here's the wierd thing though, the hazards all work properly, but when i step on the brake pedel and turn on a turn signal, whichever side turn signal i put on, that side brake light doesn't work. im broke and can't afford to bring it to mechanic at their $75.oo per hour rates for electrical diagnostics and electric repair. please give me some help, i've been freezing my *** off these last few days trying to figure it out.

thanks
Old 01-04-2006, 05:50 PM

Re: Im about to give this car away

Check your center stoplight bulbs on the rear spoiler, If 1 of those is out it can cause problems, Also make sure you have a good battery and all your connections are good, Low batteries on these cars can cause wierd problems. It may also be your turn signal switch on the steering column.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:59 PM

That was another thing i had in mind, the turn signal switch. i know it's not a biggie, it's just that it's bugging the hell out of me and basically i have ripped out a lot of the interior tracking the wires and making sure that they are all in proper condition. but that's another good idea, basically what it is is that it is making me go crazy, but another problem is that that this "multi-functin lever/switch" is discontinued, from what i have heard at least.
thanks
Old 01-05-2006, 07:15 PM

Unhappy Re: Im about to give this car away

Somebody, please help. please.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:51 PM

are you talking about the rear turn signal stuff? or the front stuff?

if its the rear i had the same problem. GM's solution was a new rear wiring harness $275. However being the person i am i just found the bad spot in the harness and replaced that part.....soldiered everything and has been good ever since.

for me it was the terminal that held the light bulb, check all those and make sure they are good (the metal pieces that recieve the connections from the light bulbs......make sure they havnt shifted)...........so i replaced the terminal with a $5 one from autozone, dremeled a new adaptor for my tail lights and soldiered the wire ends, put shrink wrap on there, and u are good to go.

let me know if that helps, OR if you have a front problem and i didnt help u at all
Old 01-06-2006, 07:39 PM

thanks, scott, ill give that a shot first thing in the morning. it is the rear though
Old 01-07-2006, 12:26 PM

Put all new sockets and bulbs AGAIN even in the spoiler, and still nothing. What's wierd none of the signals work. they don't even turn once, or at least blink once. thanks for the help.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Badazz94TA
Put all new sockets and bulbs AGAIN even in the spoiler, and still nothing. What's wierd none of the signals work. they don't even turn once, or at least blink once. thanks for the help.

hmmmmmmm, kind of weird...........do you have a volt meter??

if so take it and connect it to the terminals where u put the bulbs.........see if the sockets are getting power. Then after u figure it out at least u will know more of where to look.

I am guessing your problem is there, however if its not then start checking wires after that.
Old 01-08-2006, 03:03 PM

I have a Buick that had the same problem and it was the switch in the column.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:12 AM

First off, the turn signals and hazard flashers use the same wiring and bulbs from the turn signal switch on, the only separate wiring is from the fuses to the turn signal switch, so all the wiring from the colum on and bulbs and socket are fine since the flashers work, I would try unplugging the flasher and check for power at the flasher terminals, the brown wire should have power any time the key is on, if thats ok, plug the flasher back in and check for power at the purple wire in pin 16 of the turn signal switch at the column, if thats ok the turn signal switch is bad.