Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

dyno tune at speed inc really worth it for me?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 01:26 PM

Re: dyno tune at speed inc really worth it for me?

Originally Posted by Dan K
To the original poster of this thread:
Please be aware that alot of shops (in my experience) do not do much at all about your idle and part throttle tuning.
What they're after most is the end all hp/tq numbers to make you feel you got your moneys worth, and you may leave with a poor idle/part throttle tune.

Just my $.02.
Very true.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:43 PM

yeah, but speed inc's tuner is pretty well known for being one of the best tuners around. By being able to perfect timing and fuel tables, the car will naturally run better in all rpm's. i understand what you are saying, but i don't believe that is the deal with speed inc.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:26 PM

I agree. I also don't think that any REPUTABLE tuner will just tune your car for only big HP numbers and send you on your way with a terrible idle. IMO, any good tuner will give you a tune that is not only good for HP, but also for good idle/and normal driving while being a safe tune that won't be harmfull for your car. Past that, the HP numbers are what they are. Again, if they are a REPUTABLE tuner.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:57 PM

Believe what you want guys, I'm just telling you what I've seen with my own two eyes...with reputable shops.
And yes, Jim is an excellent tuner. He will definitely squeeze all the power out of your car that he can and be safe about it.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:34 PM

true. but why are we talking idles here. the idle is easy to tolerate with any tuning. you can pull all kinds of low rpm timing, typically used to stabilize idle-1500 rpm and the car will still idle fine once warm.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:32 PM

what is the best self tuner i could buy and how much would i have to pay??? How would i go about tuning it myself??? Is there like a book to follow??
Old 07-07-2006, 11:24 AM

anyone remember when mail-order tunes cost $400?!
Old 07-07-2006, 11:51 AM

This is my first post to this board. I had my car tuned at Speed Inc a few months ago, and they did a good job on the WOT tune. However, I experience large BLM's (sometimes pegged at +25%) under idle and part throttle, and I get surging and bogging at times too. I don't believe Speed Inc. did much (if anything) to my idle/part throttle tune. I am very new to the tuning world, as I just received my new Jet tuning package 2 days ago. But I read my PCM and compared it to a stock tune, and found that the upper rpm VE tables are identical. The lower rpm table was different, but I don't know if it was changed by Speed Inc.

My suggestion is to get your VE tune done before taking it in for WOT tuning. This is of course based on my very limited experience.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by blackztpi
By being able to perfect timing and fuel tables, the car will naturally run better in all rpm's.
Not true. Dyno tuning consists of tuning the timing tables at 90-100 kPa, %change to a/f at WOT and a couple of other tables dealing with WOT. They don't USUALLY touch the other parts of the tables (part throttle), helping you with driveability. Idle is pretty simple, but part throttle driving is not as easy and is desireable for the car to feel comfortable and like you got your money's worth.

Last edited by Sweetred95ta; 07-09-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:49 PM

larry from speed inc says "we tune for WOT, as well as driveability". if you get a relatively stock car tuned, they wont play much with the part throttle tuning since the factory tune will accomodate for that. having cams, and power adders is when they start altering. I'm not ssaying they are going to completely "tune" the car for part throttle, but the knowledge and experience of the tuner will make the proper adjustments to the tune before the car is dynoed. if there is a problem, then they can adjust. For dyno tuning you are paying for the knowledge the tuner has.... Speed inc's guy is well known to be one of the best tuners in the midwest. i guess if i can't trust him, who the hell can i trust?