Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Did my PCM blew a gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 05:50 AM

Did my PCM blew a gasket?

95 Z28. Auto

First problem... tranny began to slip on 2nd on slow speeds only... but if I pulled the lever to 2nd it grabs really good.

I am driving around with tranny slipping ocassionally but again if I pull the lever to 2nd its all good and once at 25mph 3rd and fourth gear hold. I cruise 0n the highway like there is nothing wrong till a hammer the gass then it slips..

Now here is the kicker.... I have an ez scan 6000 from AutoXray and I ran a scan tonite... got the "history code" 32 egr failure code...(random check engine light did happened some time ago but it has stopped altogether) Also I got a "Current Trouble Code" 52 Engine Oil Temp sensor Low...... but I have no check engine light on..... the light itself checks out ok when you turn the key ingnition to on before start up and then goes out after start up as it would normally do.

Wait there is more... here is what got me PCM suspicious .... I am runing the scanner while in the empty highway tonite. I am doing about 55 on the cruise control.... when I realized the Cruise control not engaged...was reading in the scanner. I turned the cruise off and then back on and it its working just fine but the scanner reports it as not engaged. I doubt its the scanner because everything else is reporting and updating.

I parked and let the car Idle. The engine temp went up slowly all the way upto 225 degree but the fan never came on. turned the ac on and fans came on... reported as on in the scanner and engine cooled off.... if I turn the a/c off the engine will slowly heat up beyong 220 degree and the fans do not come on.

The PCM has not been tampered with. Fans come on when I engage the AC otherwise I could let the car boil to death.

So... You guys think is PCM? or am I seing things?? and what is this engine temp sensor thing? I didnt know I had one.... (laughing or maybe I forgot I had one) Oh the EGR is working fine.... Just tested it.

Marvin
Old 03-25-2007, 02:29 PM

Stock, the fans do not come on until 226F. The engine temp sensor is that sensor in the front of the water pump.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:50 PM

"Stock, the fans do not come on until 226F. The engine temp sensor is that sensor in the front of the water pump."

Thanks for the reply Vince. The scanner reports trouble code 52 and the message reads Engine Oil Temp Sensor Low.

Is the scanner info correct or should it read Coolant Temp sensor Low?