Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

can u use any lt1 94-95 pcm in 95 trans am ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 04:54 PM

can u use any lt1 94-95 pcm in 95 trans am ?

Have some issues with my car and I thinking its the PCM. my car is a 95 T/A what year pcms can i use .. when buying a pcm

This is s 6 speed car originally a auto.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 AM

Re: can u use any lt1 94-95 pcm in 95 trans am ?

PCM part numbers for '94 and '95 are the same and they are interchangeable part number is 16188051, search e-bay or scrap yards for lower prices. The 051 was also used in GM B-Body Impala, caprice, Roadmaster LT1's so there a a few out there. The key is the code load. Looking at the mods in your signature you already know tuning is required. So you most likely already have the correct base and customized .bin file to load into the replacement PCM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by bobdec
PCM part numbers for '94 and '95 are the same and they are interchangeable part number is 16188051, search e-bay or scrap yards for lower prices. The 051 was also used in GM B-Body Impala, caprice, Roadmaster LT1's so there a a few out there. The key is the code load. Looking at the mods in your signature you already know tuning is required. So you most likely already have the correct base and customized .bin file to load into the replacement PCM.
Yes i am seeking out anther pcm to rule out the issues I am having... (after about 20 mins of run time or when the car warms up it wont restart if i shut it down for about an hour and I am throwing a whole bunch of codes that don't make sense.

This was happen before I replaced the opti so the first thing i did was replaced the opti ... and it still did the same exact thing so i sent it back asked for anther one to double check same thing.

I bought the replacement opti from ebay from AIP Electronics so before i throw them under the train I want to make sure its nothing to dowith the pcm or something i am over looking
Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by siguy

I bought the replacement opti from ebay from AIP Electronics so before i throw them under the train I want to make sure its nothing to dowith the pcm or something i am over looking
With their past history, I would not buy anything from AIP.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
With their past history, I would not buy anything from AIP.
yes I would agree but inwas not 100 % sure it was the opti so I dropped in a cheap unit to see if it was the problem but I am finding that I am having the same issues even after the opti change x 2 lol I am still not sure what the hell it could be that's causing no start after car is hot or 20 min of run time strange..
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM

siguy , in your other post you stall and take 20-60 mins to restart, that sounds like a bad ICM. You DTC's in your other post are 48 MAS circuit, 51 EPROM program error, 18 Injector circuit and 41 ICM open circuit. Is it possible to determine if they all occur at the same time or are you accumulating the DTC's over a period of time. I'm trying to see if you have different problems or one single ignition voltage problem. The MAS and PCM use one common fuse, Injector(s) use two different fuses and coil/ICM use another different fuse. The only common link is the ignition switch or +12 feed to the switch.
Also have you tried reloading the PCM code from a known good '.bin' file to see if that fixes the DTC 51 (failure says EPROM program error but it's really flash memory program error in '94-95 PCM's) that could also be a common failure point ? If the 51 reoccurs after a re-load then it's either voltage/ground to PCM or defective PCM, which apparently you are planning to replace.

Last edited by bobdec; 08-04-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by bobdec
siguy , in your other post you stall and take 20-60 mins to restart, that sounds like a bad ICM. You DTC's in your other post are 48 MAS circuit, 51 EPROM program error, 18 Injector circuit and 41 ICM open circuit. Is it possible to determine if they all occur at the same time or are you accumulating the DTC's over a period of time. I'm trying to see if you have different problems or one single ignition voltage problem. The MAS and PCM use one common fuse, Injector(s) use two different fuses and coil/ICM use another different fuse. The only common link is the ignition switch or +12 feed to the switch.
Also have you tried reloading the PCM code from a known good '.bin' file to see if that fixes the DTC 51 (failure says EPROM program error but it's really flash memory program error in '94-95 PCM's) that could also be a common failure point ? If the 51 reoccurs after a re-load then it's either voltage/ground to PCM or defective PCM, which apparently you are planning to replace.
this is kinda long
Hi and thank you for your response here some background that lead up to the problems.

This car sat for a while (about 2 years) with very little use before i bought it back from my friend.. I drove it back from FL to NY without any problems have not really put that many miles on it in the few years I had it (to busy with work) so the car has sat most of the winter and summer (Garaged most of the time) ... the car ran fine with no codes or hiccups etc.

Recently (I would start it once every 2 weeks) I noticed it would randomly pop and then clear up after a few min (I thought it might be a plug or the opti that had moisture in it etc.

About 2 months ago I started to drive it more often and it would still pop when started but clear up once it warmed... then
one day i went through a cash wash and it died about a mile after the car wash.. (waited about an hour and it started up and ran fine until hot and shut off had to do this a couple of times to get the car home. I have had this happen to me in my other f-body's so i ordered a new opti and thought it would cure the problem but ever since that car wash I have had problems and how strange that may seem I can not figure out what is going on

So after 3 optis (2 optis from AIP and 1 opti from napa) and two months I am back to square one lol

First i would get the typical opti code problems (low res high res and ignition control module) but what was also popping up every so often was the prom failure.

I would reset the pcm it would go away.. but the car still would either shut off or not restart after about 20 min or about 220 degrees. (like I explained before in my past posts). (this car vats is bypassed so i have ruled that out (the one thing i did notice when the car did not restart it would go into limp mode before i shut it down (or what i think felt like limp mode example no power super low idle un-responsive etc)

but know i am getting codes like i mention all the time with like the mass air flow etc (strange on my scan master i can see that the mass air flow is functioning correctly) so i am not sure how i can get a code like that and still see it functioning...

anyway i just ordered a stock pcm (i know the car will run like crap because of the big motor, cam, supercharger and 50 pound injectors but i want to rule out if the pcm is bad or good)

so any of your input is greatly appreciated

Note ICM and coils have been changed and I run a delteq system on my car.

Last edited by siguy; 08-04-2011 at 05:27 PM.