Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Can reason for poor gas mileage be seen from a Datamaster log of car idling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 12:13 PM

Can reason for poor gas mileage be seen from a Datamaster log of car idling?

I've had really poor mileage since I bought the car. 12MPG or less with highway driving having no effect on the mileage.

I'm not leaking, because I've parked the car for 5 or 6 days and still had the same mileage.
I don't think the injectors are leaking, because the car starts real easy.

I don't have a laptop, but I thought maybe hooking my PC up and idling/revving might gain some insight into my poor mileage.

Here is the Datamaster file. (About 500k)
Thanks!
Old 04-04-2004, 06:35 PM

Well everything looks good aside from the fact that you have your A/C on & fan #1 is maybe car is running a little on the cool side, aside from that there is no sign of bad o2s at all, they seem really healthy, your car is correcting for fuel, it BLM's are way within limits, your knock sensor seems to be going off but that seems like its happening because your just applying a hefty amount of gas right away, so your reving your engine. You'd have to go out for a drive, I'm leaning towards the fact that you are probably having some knock sensor issues, ussually if I see knock count at idle or reving your engine, its a good indication that under load your KR is eating up your timing which would eat up gas milage. No signs of exhaust leaks either. I see you have a stock cam in there by the log since your MAP readings are so low LOL.

Other then that not much could be told from here.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:54 PM

Amazing! Thanks!

edit;
Oh, and yeah -the fan(s) come on WAY early. The previous owner had them set do that, evidentally. By the dash gauge the car never sees 190 degrees. Cooler is better though right?

Last edited by Lower; 04-04-2004 at 09:01 PM.