Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

98 Camaro V6 - Electrical problem(Radio, Transmission, and now Starting problem)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 07:54 PM

98 Camaro V6 - Electrical problem(Radio, Transmission, and now Starting problem)

Ok I recently bought the car, drove it about 5 times before I noticed anything. Only thing done to it is an aftermarket cd player, I think the speakers are original.

The first time I noticed a problem, I got in turned on the radio and was listening for a few minutes. Started the car up and when to go for a ride, reversed out of the parking spot normally, but when I put it in drive, it barely pulled. Wouldn't go up hill at all. So I parked it. Noticed that it was throwing the Check gauges, brake and air bag light.

The next day I came out and it seemed normal, didn't really test it all that long but I put it in drive and it pulled normally. Yesterday, I drove it about 10 miles, listening to the radio, and it seemed fine.

Drove it back, and put it in park while listening to the radio for a few minutes. Later noticed that the radio began to sound wierd, with a lot of static and clacking sounds and also the display on the cd player was very dim. This time it was throwing a brake light only. Tranny was messing up as well(on a level ground wouldnt move in drive with the brakes let off)

Today, I went out to test some more things. I tried it three times today, getting worse each time.

The first time: Went out turned the radio on first, it sounded normal, no static and display was good. Then started the motor, the static came back and the display dimmed and when the bass hit the display would flicker. At the time there werent any lights on, but a few minutes later the brake light came on. I also noticed that pushing the brake in makes the radio reset(turns off then back on) most but not all the times.

The second time: This time I was going to just start the motor and let it sit there idling to see if it still messed up(No radio). I turned the key and it started up but the starter was very sluggish. Tranny worked fine however. but only a few minutes later, the brake light came on and the tranny stopped working, however, in 1st and 2nd it would slightly grab. Also noticed that the airbag light was on and it would flash when I put on the brake and start flashing when I shifted gears but would eventually stop and stay solidly lit. Then, I noticed that the display on the radio wouldnt even come on at all.

The final time: This time I was just going out to test the BrakeTransmission Shift Interlock. That turned out fine but when I went to start the motor, it wouldnt start.. Made some wierd buzzing noise and the gauges were going crazy. The speedo and tach were vibrating crazily and started going up.

Now with that information, what could it be? I thought it could be one of these things.

1. Whoever installed the aftermarket radio didnt know what he was doing when he tapped into the auxiliary accessory wire and it might be shorting on something effecting something else in the cluster of wires(The Body Control Module or the Tranny Control Module)

2. or just the Body Control Module is going bad.

3. or needs a new onboard computer?
Old 09-29-2008, 03:54 PM

Souds like someone tapped the wrong wire or could be a loose ground. It's hard to say with the symptoms your having.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM

Definitely alternator problems, or possibly battery. Tried testing if it was simply a corroded terminal on the batter but that wasn't the problem. So I got a car starter and jumped the car, disconnected the starter and let it idle to charge and about 3-4 minutes later it slowly drained and died. No juice in the battery at all.

Now my question is: Is there any computer modules or anything that controls the alternator or charging possess? Or is it straight forward either the Alternator or Battery?
Old 09-30-2008, 11:46 AM

I think it's pretty straight forward. swap the alt.