Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

93 to 95 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 07:52 PM

93 to 95 conversion

My freind has a 93 Z and after his 383 procharger build the car would and could not be tuned by many unnamed big tuners in Oklahoma and Texas. So we thought a FAST system would work better and be able to be tuned with greater ease due to the greater reaches of the system. Here is my take on FAST, damn good for straight out power but driveability and such sucks big a$$. And forget about the customer support, getting any files from anybody, gawd its like your tryin to find out about roswell and the aliens, they dont exist. Anyway after trying to find a tuner in the midwest area that could tune it for DRIVEABILITY, yeah, we sold it and decided to convert it to a 95 MAF harness. Just completed this last weekend and all I can say is damnnnnnnnnnnnn, started up, purred like a kitten and driveability, and yes power are all there. Now we have been tuning it with LT1 edit and we are making more power with it than a 500 to 750 pro tune or a damn 2000 aftermarket system. Whoever say a MAF sensor is a restriction and not worth it has not taken a speed density 93 to its limits. Oh and it cost us 600 dollars to convert and editize. Just had to get that out there after all the crap from the tuners and speed pro and everybody else who just said, damn thats just as good as it gets,
Old 11-11-2002, 08:09 PM

i've tuned quite a few supercharged speed density cars.

The trick is that you must use a FMU for driveablity. (or better yet use a Ty/Sy computer for older tpi) Too bad you guys already spent so much time and effort.

Alot of people give speed density cars a bad rap. they are really quite capable of running pretty much anything you want.

In my opinion the best way to go, as long as its tuned correctly
Old 11-11-2002, 08:19 PM

Not doubting it can be donw, but come on, speed denstiy cannot and will not ever hold a candle to mass air flow cars. I have tuned at least 4 supercharged MAF cars with edit with driveability that of a stock LT1. Speed density was good on the car when it was on stock cam 350 with 9lb procharger. But it fell through the floor with the 383, heads 15lbs, etc etc. And this is not the first car or the first person I have seen with such problems. Know dont get me wrong I know speed density will make more top end power, but how fun is that when youre car is jerking and hiccuping all the way to the line or sitting when youre cruising. Call some of the big tuners, and tell them you have all this with a 93 and see if they dont go uhhhhhh, they can be tuned but there hard, $$$ and in my own opinion runs like, well. Thats just my 2 cents,
Old 11-11-2002, 09:50 PM

I'll admit going over 1 bar makes things difficult because the car is basicly blind as far as fuel delievery. If you use a FMU you are getting that fuel adder vs. boost so it helps a bit.

As far as anything else, I think alot of people are afraid of really getting in and tuning the car. I can make just about anything drive like a stock car when i have the car here to do in person.

I think alot of people are taking the backwards approach to tuning speed density.

ask around... I've got some smoothed out cars out there. especially the ones i've had in person.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:05 AM

I am currently running a FAST system on my 93 and I can understand your difficulites. Unlike your situation everytime my car was getting tuned I had something else go out like bad lifter, opti etc.. I was pretty pissed because I had probably the best tuner (Job Spetter) in the country look at my car and car decided to crap out another opti. My car currently runs ok now but needs some more tuning since I have upgraded to an F1 and 83 lb injectors. I had a few people send me files to look at but my car ran really lean on their programs.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:05 PM

nitrous

What about tuning a Nitrous car? I am looking at a 93 and trying to decide to buy it or a newer one?