Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

2001 camaro z28 bcm failed...possible fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:41 PM

2001 camaro z28 bcm failed...possible fix?

Ok, so I know I've read this here before but most of the threads aren't particularly clear, so I'm trying to clarify something. The bcm on my 01 z28 decided to go to crap on me and the dealership is wanting to charge me about 700$ to replace it. My question is this...if I can find a used bcm matching my vehicles part number, replace my bad bcm with the used one, and build a vats bypass resistor pack to match the used bcm's resistance, I should technically be able to start my car with my existing key right? Can anyone tell me if that is all the bcm is for, or does it interact with other vehicle modules ? Or am I just completely off base here...

Thanks in advance for any assistance, and my apologies if this was already answered, but none of the resolutions I've read have been exactly clear
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 PM

Re: 2001 camaro z28 bcm failed...possible fix?

That would work, but you will have to know the key resistance of the used BCM. The BCM controls all the interior lighting and security. You can look at a BCM schematic on my site that shows inputs and outputs. The new BCM should be from a vehicle that matches your options.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
That would work, but you will have to know the key resistance of the used BCM. The BCM controls all the interior lighting and security. You can look at a BCM schematic on my site that shows inputs and outputs. The new BCM should be from a vehicle that matches your options.
So, just to be clear, would that be the model number of the bcm that would have to match, or the specifications associated with the vin number? Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:46 PM

I don't know if the part number of the BCM equates to specific option (I suppose it would), but the important thing is the car you get it from has options equal or greater than yours (so that all your options work). I suspect most will be optioned similarly, unless the donor is a very low optioned car.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I don't know if the part number of the BCM equates to specific option (I suppose it would), but the important thing is the car you get it from has options equal or greater than yours (so that all your options work). I suspect most will be optioned similarly, unless the donor is a very low optioned car.
You are my hero lol. And quite possibly just saved me about 450$. I have all the equipment to build the resistor packs, so the bcm shouldn't be much of an issue to install once I get it. Thanks again for your assistance!