Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

1981 Z-28 Computer-Possible Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:43 PM

1981 Z-28 Computer-Possible Problems

Camaro computer symptoms

I have a 81' z-28,the computer I had to remove out to get my XM box which was located right behind it to check the antenna lead.Well in doing so I noticed that-well the engine was running but when I pulled down the computer a bit it died! Well to make a long story short I disconnected to 2 main plugs to the computer and it started right up and ran fine.So while it was running I plugged both main plugs back in one at a time but noticing when I started to plug the 2nd plug back in it would kill again.On that 2nd right plug there are 2 jump wires,they look factory,one is black and one is green,I noticed that when I unplugged those 2 jump wires and plugged the 2nd.main plug back into the computer it ran fine,I then while it was running plugged back in the black jump wire-it has a plug(connects to another wire),all ok but when I plugged in the green wire it would die! The green wire jumps off of the pink wire(which is connected to the brake switch)
Well it's temporary disconnected now but I noticed my idle is at 1,000 instead of 750 where it used to be.Any suggestions? I feel that maybe a wire or something in the computer may have been burned out or something.Runs fine and smooth,all electronics work but idle is a little high.I think my brake switch needs to be adjusted but brake lights work when depressed,needs a little to much pressure to make lights go on as it needs adjusting.
I'm concerned,I think my check engine light is out,will check that tomorrow.
Hope I didn't burn up my computer,need some advice.
Jeff.
I'd appreciate any input on this.
Note:rebuilt 2001 crate motor(GM Goodwrench 350)
Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 PM

Re: 1981 Z-28 Computer-Possible Problems

Note:This engine was installed by a GM dealer and then all factory
computer and factory carburetor and all sensors attached
by a professional technician.This car was running excellent before
this happened today.
No missing,runs smooth,starts right up,just concerned as the idle
is to high.Can't see any other visible problems(bad wire,ect.)
Just thought I'd put as much info here as possible.
Thanks for any advice on this,
Jeff.