Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

what is my engine doing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 01:19 AM

what is my engine doing?

i bought the ****in z28. and i was driving it around today and it just stalled outa nowhere. now i figured that i just ran outa gas and luckily i stalled right next to a gas station. i drove the car around and it stalled a few more times. then tonight at 37 the ****in thing would stall when it go to any low rpm's. we couldn't stay long at all and there was a ****load of sick cars there. GOD DAMNIT, NEW CAR AND IT AINT RUNNIN RIGHT. at first it only stalled when it was put into drive cause idle lowers. than it was even stallin in park. so we kept it in neutral at all the lights and ****in dropped the bitch into first the hole time sexy kindoff. anywho. we think it is that the idle is set to low. second. apparently the car has been sittin a lil' while since the sticker on the ****in thing is from 01' . we took it on the parkway and all kinds of **** and it was fast as a mother ****er. RAN GREAT. until we tried to stop. then bam. stalls. and then after it stalls and keeps stalling we have alot of trouble starting it. tell me what to do. we figure ajust idle screw and if that don't work we change plugs, plug wires, airfilter and all that bull****. GRRRR. NOT FUN. NO ROOM TO WORK.
what do u guys think?
Old 08-21-2004, 04:46 AM

Re: what is my engine doing?

What year is the car you're talking about? I'm assuming it's carbureted, 'cause fuel injected cars don't normally stall that often! I'd say it's probably a combination of low idle speed and probably a poor idle air/fuel mixture. What type of carb is on the engine? Quadra-Jet? Holley? Need more info!!!
Old 08-21-2004, 04:36 PM

if the car hasent been on the road for couple of years its probably got some sediment in the tank and in the carb it probably has some crap plugging one of the jets its rare that an idel mixture or idel set problem will just appear
out of thin air
Old 08-24-2004, 12:58 AM

1981. its got the stock rochester 4 barrel quadrajet. ****in pos it is. i messed with the idle and got it to like 800. a lil to high. but the car only stalls when it is warmed up( idles at 800 warm) i ran it for like an hour today and the water temp. went up to 230+. is that a normal water temp. could that be causing the stallin?
i don't know man. it goes to mechanic on wendsday for full checkup but i would like to fix this mother by myself.
thanks