Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

New member, 76 LT Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 10:13 AM

Question New member, 76 LT Suspension

New member here, figured I'd start up with a question, as I'm having a hard time finding what I need. I just bought a 1976 Type LT that is in pretty good condition. I don't know a whole lot about cars but I've decided that I really do want to learn, so I wanted to pick up a project car that was in pretty good shape. A little background, I'm 24 years old in Washington State, and my roomate knows a whole lot about Chevy's and will be helping me through all my repairs, he's got a 56 Olds, a 28 Ford Roadster, and had a nice 68-72 (can't remember the year) 1/2 ton.
On to the car, here is are some pics: http://lister.acm.wwu.edu/schmoli/images/76camaro/
My first problem is I think I don't have enough room in the rear for my tires, when my roomate gets in the car with me, I hear some rubbing, so I figured one thing I'd start with is replacing the rear suspension. I just ordered some Bilstein HD shocks from Hotchkis, and I want to also replace my rear leaf springs, but I can't find anything that isn't a lowering kit (hotchkis) or a 2" lift kit (JC Whitney). Finally, maybe I do need the lift kit, I'm just really not sure, as the springs in it are pretty old and bringing it up to stock may fix everything.

FYI, the tires in the back are 255/60/15

Thanks for any help!

-schmoli
Old 01-17-2003, 11:01 AM

http://www.p-s-t.com/springs.html#CHEVROLET

Good luck
Old 01-17-2003, 11:15 AM

hey thanks! I'll check that out.

would any modification need to be performed to install the mono leaf springs? (my car currently has multi-leaf springs in it).

And yowza, that's some expensive stuff, I found some on JCWhitney for 55/each, but my roomate said they sell cheap stuff.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:15 AM

New springs in the back will bring everything back up. Try Nasty Z28. The best site for 2nd gen camaros. A Wealth of knowledge over there, if can't find you answer here try them.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:30 AM

and thanks again! I can't wait to get this car in tip-top condition. I'll go register on nastyZ28 right now.
Old 01-18-2003, 03:10 PM

Hey Schmoli, never thought I'd see a face from SA over here.

Anyway, try ESPO. A couple of people on the Nova Listserve have bought their products and have been happy with the fit and finish.

http://www.espo.com/

Also, don't get the polyurethane bushings unless you're only going to drive it rarely or Solo II it, any long drives would be a bare as the urethane bushings transfer a lot of resonance.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:47 PM

Sup?

I've got a 77 Type LT (glad to see another Type LT on the board ) which I just rebuilt the suspension on about a 2 years ago. As a matter of fact, I finished a few hours before I took it to my junior prom.

Anyways, I purchased front coil springs, rear leafs, a rear sway and a front rebuild kit all from PST. I ordered the kit with the regular rubber bushings. I would say they had great service and the parts were good quality. I really recommend their products. IF you do the rear, I would think you would also see some benefit from the front of your car being rebuilt as well. I sure did. My car lifted up about an inch and rides a whole lot better.

I really reccomend that you purchase a rear sway with your springs. That made the biggest difference in handling, eliminating a large majority of lean in the car. It isnt hard to install either, took maybe an hour and a half. I never realized how much the car was leaning until I installed the bar. Its definately an upgrade you wont regret.

If you do choose to purchase the rear sway, one problem you may run into is exhaust clearance if your car still has the origional single exhaust. If you want to retain the single exhaust, you will have to purchase a new muffler, cut your old exhaust off, then have an exhaust shop heat and push the old pipe towards the center of the car, away from the sway bar linkage. They can then just hook back up your old muffler. Your car being a 76 though, you shouldnt have to worry about emmissions. In that case, just purchase a dual system. You'll enjoy the hp gains and the sound.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:48 PM

hey nape, yeah I didn't think I would see any SAers either, small world.

hey bigsteve, I'm really new to this, as this is my first car that I bought for the sole purpose of fun and learning, so that should excuse my stupidy. I didn't even realize stock had only 1 exhaust, as I have 2 -- which I guest compliment the headers, and a built b&m transmission. I notice your sig says "stock and slow" -- should my car be slow too? I ask because the car has the ability to smoke thru first gear, and if you're just driving a tiny bit aggressive and keeping it in 1st for a bit, when you move the shifter up to 2nd gear the tires break free for a second).

Well this weekend we did some tuneup on it, basically just oil change, cap&rotor, new wires, valve covers, etc and it's still running great (which means I probably didn't break anything -- good news!).
here's my exhaust, would I have any problems with a sway bar?

Old 01-19-2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by schmoli
hey nape, yeah I didn't think I would see any SAers either, small world.

hey bigsteve, I'm really new to this, as this is my first car that I bought for the sole purpose of fun and learning, so that should excuse my stupidy. I didn't even realize stock had only 1 exhaust, as I have 2 -- which I guest compliment the headers, and a built b&m transmission. I notice your sig says "stock and slow" -- should my car be slow too? I ask because the car has the ability to smoke thru first gear, and if you're just driving a tiny bit aggressive and keeping it in 1st for a bit, when you move the shifter up to 2nd gear the tires break free for a second).

Well this weekend we did some tuneup on it, basically just oil change, cap&rotor, new wires, valve covers, etc and it's still running great (which means I probably didn't break anything -- good news!).
here's my exhaust, would I have any problems with a sway bar?

Hey,

The reason I say my car is stock and still slow is because back in the mid 70's muscle cars were all detuned to meet emmisions standards. Cars like the Camaro which once had a 360hp 350 (5.7L) motor that you could get in 1970, now were being equipped with V8s making less than 200hp. The reasons were restrictive heads, low compression ratios, small cams, and catylitic converters. My car came origionally equipped with a 160hp 305 but it was replaced about 10 years go with a stock 350. Power now is in the 200ish range and well, its just not fast. I can smoke through first gear too, but I'm still slow. 0-60 is in the 8s, quartermile in the 16s im sure.

Lookin at your pics, your exhaust looks like itll accept a sway bar fine. The links actually attatch to the frame, way out near the wheels. Your exhaust doesnt look to come even close to there.

I looked at your pics. Your car definately isnt stock. I'm not sure what size motor or what you have in it. Look in my photos to see what a pretty much stock car looks like. Only thing missing are the Type LT badge (in the garage) and the door guards. Look at my engine. Thats what the original compartment would have looked like. You should try to estimate your acceleration numbers so you can guesstimate your hp. Maybe even take it to the track. Either that or try to contact the previous owner.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:37 PM

Thanks man, looking at your pics right now.
I took pics documenting what we did yesterday, you can see a lot of the engine bay.
http://www.acm.wwu.edu/schmoli/ProjectCamaro/day1/

it's a 350/4bbl (that's what the vin says)... we definately plan on taking it out and seeing what's inside soon.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Classic Tech Moderator

When buying springs and suspension components, you might consider buying those that are intended for use on a Z28 to improve the handling. 80 and 81 Z28's ride 1" lower than previous years.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:31 PM

My bad, the engine pics I gave you were not exactly what a stock motor woudl look like. They were missing all of the emmisions equipment. I went outside this morning and took some pics of my car to give you a look at not only what the engine compartment would look like stock, but also the sway bar linkage. This should give you an idea of how the bar is installed.

http://community.webshots.com/album/61241340ZxAIeK
Old 01-21-2003, 01:34 AM

ack man that is one full engine bay. AFAIK all smog has been removed from mine, no AC means a lot less stuff inside, and I don't think I have any cat's (will check tomorrow). I do have cruise, but it doesn't seem to be hooked up to the carb, will have to check on that.

I actually parked next to a 2nd gen today in Mount Vernon, not sure of the year but it looked a lot like mine but had the single exhaust, man that car sounds nothing like mine (ie, it doesn't really make any sound).