Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

New To The Boards

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 01:04 AM

New To The Boards

Hey guys,
I'm new to these boards and the reason I'm posting is that starting this fall and over the next two years I want to (re)build a '68 Camaro-possibly a camaro, rally sport maybe. I'm not sure and don't know much about classic cars. A few friends of mine are going to help me do most of the work but I just need some guidance about where to start out and buys parts and different options and that kind of thing. Over the next two years I'll probably about about 15-17,000 to put into the car. Any opinions and resources are really appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:12 PM

Re: New To The Boards

Hey welcome to the boards! Another good board is www.camaro.net!
Old 07-02-2006, 10:20 PM

summitracing.com and jegs.com are two good sites for aftermarket performance, yearone has a number of old musclecar parts, as does classic industries, search for em in yahoo and they'll pop up, ebay has some good old stuff too once in awhile if you're looking for a cheap oddball part.

but here's the cool thing, Hot Rod magazine built a crate 69 camaro out of one of the reproduction bodies, in the final issue on the build, they had a parts list of every part they bought to put the entire car together from scratch, and the contact information for the places where they got each part if i remember correctly... but that was awhile ago, if you want i can try and dig up the old article, but you may be able to find the magazine too, anyway i found this website covering it, they only have part numbers, but they also cover the build and whatnot, so it should prove extremely useful to you

crate camaro partslist
http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/h...ro_parts_list/

homepage for crate camaro
http://hotrod.com/projectbuild/113_0...project_build/
Old 07-02-2006, 10:23 PM

lol and by the way, welcome to the board, hopefully you'll find it useful, and keep us updated on the project.

Good Luck

Josh
Old 07-04-2006, 07:18 AM

Hey man, I really appreciate the help. Those sites seem like they'll be a lot of help along the way-especially having such a comprehensive parts list from the start.

Are the 68/69 pretty much identical in most aspects? What differences are there? The resources from those links seem to to be a great palcea to start from even if I choose to go with some different parts along the way.

I'm also debating right now between convertible, hard top and T-top but I'm not sure if a late 60's t-top was made or if it is an option now. I appreciate y'alls opinions.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:58 PM

well 67-69 are very similar cars.... but i have a list

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...istory-1.shtml

t-tops first came out in the mid 70s trans ams, i believe '76 was the first year you could get em, then in camaros i believe it was a couple years later. However, i have heard of people getting a set of t-tops at the junkyard, some hardware, and whatnot, and making a hardtop car into a t-top car, but with a 68 camaro, this would likely kill the value, and it's a royal pain in the backside to get it to work.

convertible would be what i'd get, there's no replacement for displacement, and no fans will replace the feel of the wind in your hair, or hearing the sounds of the city on cruise night.

however, convertibles will twist easier, as will t tops if you plan on racing it. kind of a less metal, and less rigidity thing, but for all practical purposes this shouldnt matter.

also convertible tops aren't a major issue to come by, but a 40 year old ragtop, is likely going to need repair, so it's more work, but for me it'd be worth it, but that's a driver comfort thing, w/e you like is what you should get
Old 07-04-2006, 04:35 PM

You have no idea how much I appreciate all of this help man. You sold me on the convertible-it's what I want but some guys the other day were telling me it'd be too much of a pain/work/etc and I shouldn't. I want some real power (maybe around 450hp?) but it looking sharp and a great ride are the number one priorities. I have thursday off so I'm planning on stopping by Rick's First Generation here in Athens cus I hear they have a killer show room and are a lot of help as well. Thanks for the parts list as well-I can hopefully start estimating cost and planning out when I want to get everything done. Everyone with experience keeps telling me over and over 'The most important thing is to know what you want and have a plan for EVERYTHING before you do anything else"
Old 07-04-2006, 07:04 PM

hey, no problem, I enjoy it, deciding on what to do with a car is hard, but it should be, I just wanna help you along the path as much as i can

anyway, a plan is good, but there is something to be said for sitting there with too big a motor... and just staring at it until you decide to add a blower and put a big ol' blower scoop through the hood, instead of try and squeeze it in under the hood, that just happened to get a hole cut in it. lol

but the issue you'll run into is some parts will cost a fair deal of money, and those parts you'll want to make sure you use and make sure you dont buy ones that you will decide not to use. With dime a dozen cars you end up with more parts unused because of the low cost, like ya buy a hood for $20 at a swapmeet, then decide you wanted a cowl induction hood for a couple hundred later on. oops, well you could plan on buying that cowl induction hood, but if you're looking for cheap parts, you pretty much just want it complete. yea it's a waste of money and you have to figure out wth to do with that $20 hood, but it's part of fixing up a car.

So yes a plan is good. But, don't worry if you find yourself in a position of not being sure what you want exactly, after you stare at it, you'll make up your mind and that's that, and most importantly, dont be afraid of changing your mind, if you made a mistake in the plan, dont make yourself live with it for the rest of your life

Last edited by 84firebird; 07-04-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:30 PM

Man, I didn't see the parts list on that website. Not that it's not there-I may have just missed it. Also, I was wondering if you know a great site with tons of pictures of 67-69's so I can go through them all and continue to figure out what I'm looking for. BTW, do the guys from this message board ever have meets or anything? I know that the Club RSX boards the guys do and they're usually an alright time.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:34 PM

Also check out http://www.camaros.org

Its pretty much the database for 67-69 Camaro restoration.

My first Camaro was a 68 rally sport, and I currently own two 67 Camaros, a 95% original RS and a std coupe that's made up like a 67 trans am racer. (With a modern flare.)

If you have questions ... http://www.camaros.net is the place to ask.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:15 PM

hmm... checking the link for parts, the hotrod one is workin fine for me, you can also access it from the build homepage and clicking on the parts picture.

on musclecarclub.com, there isnt really a partslist for say, they just overview what changed in bodystyles and major changes.

the parts themselves... you can go to a parts store and have them look up the part... i'd check out camaros.net and camaros.org, but parts.... is usually something that stays constant throughout the bodystyle, like 82-84 firebirds all have the same parts, 85-89 and 90-92 er somethin like that as well, excepting when they changed to fuel injection, then injection cars differed in electronics as well as by bodystyle. hmm, i dk enough about them to really give a good place to go... sry bout that