Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Milodon Bad Part Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 03:35 PM

Thumbs down Milodon Bad Part Experience

I just wanted to post this to let folks know that if you buy a Milodon part and it is faulty, they will not back it up.

A poorly welded oil pump pick up caused me to lose oil pressure, and incur over $2,000 in damages.

Milodon admitted in writing that they missed a welding step in their process, but will only offer $200.

Their attitude and customer service has been horrible.

Do yourself a favor and remember this post when you go to buy parts.

BTW - Summit gave me a 20% discount to get back on the road. That is what a good company does - supports their customers.

Milodon dodges, deflects, and makes false accusations.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:22 PM

Re: Milodon Bad Part Experience

Man, you're going all out. I'm guessing you're posting on a whole lot of message boards.

Still, congratulations on doing it in a manner that is both rational and honorable. I won't buy from them (not anything important anyway).
Old 07-13-2006, 06:35 PM

I'm surprised this hasn't been deleted yet, this is Milidon's warranty so take it or leave it. Plus I think YOU should have paid more attention and noticed the pickup wasn't welded good and sent it back.

- LIMITED WARRANTY (Extends 90 Days From Date Of Purchase) -

- WARRANTY COVERAGE -All Milodon, Inc. products are warranted to be free from defects in workmanship and materials for a period of ninety (90) days from the date of purchase. During this period, Milodon, Inc. will repair or replace, at its option, any Milodon, Inc. part that has been determined by Milodon, Inc. to have failed due to defective workmanship or materials.

WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER THE FOLLOWING:

1. Failure of a Milodon, Inc. product due to improper installation or maintenance; misuse; abuse; unauthorized application.
2. Removal or replacement cost, oil or shipping costs.
3. Damage to related components.
4. Costs incurred due to downtime of vehicle, or towing costs.
5. Normal wear and tear.
6. Products used for racing.
- IMPLIED WARRANTY -Any warranties implied by law are limited in duration to this warranty, except in those states where prohibited by law. This warranty provides you with certain rights. You may have other rights which vary from state to state.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:43 PM

He's gotcha there.

Still, who skips a welding step?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by jerminator96

Still, who skips a welding step?
Milidon when they're building oil pumps
Old 07-14-2006, 06:56 AM

Exclamation Re: Milodon Bad Part Experience

Everyone needs to know about vendors who don't back their customers.

Do you want to repeat my experience?

The warranty only applies for product that meets their QC specifications.

Defective product sold is dealt with under another set of consumer protection laws.

Opinions wecomed - both for and against

BTW - my posts contain only facts, with no slander or libel.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by s10er8
Plus I think YOU should have paid more attention and noticed the pickup wasn't welded good and sent it back.
I'd have to disagree with you there. You assume that a part from a "reputable" company is good to go when you get it out of the box. I agree that you should double check everything for obvious defects before you install it though (I do). Not sure how many engines he's rebuilt, but who's to say he would know how to spot a poorly welded pick-up tube if he doesn't have anything to compare it to? He probably assumed that the "professionals" knew what they were doing.

Hell, unless it was something blatent like a crack in the weld, I wouldn't know how to spot an "improperly welded" tube myself.

I agree, kind of sounds like you got the raw end of the deal, but I'm guessing you're probably S.O.L.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ron78Z&01SS
You assume that a part from a "reputable" company is good to go when you get it out of the box.
Not anymore these days. A lot of companies are having stuff done in china and are just coasting on their "name". e.g. Holley. Their quality has really gone down.

If Milodon can legally hide behind a warranty, I guess 396 is SOL. But if they were really a quality company, and they know their defective product caused a customer $$$ in damages, they would make this right. I've purchased Milodon products in the past, would have to probably look at another source in the future.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:07 PM

I just don't understand the point. I understand the frustration of having a defective part but this is the first negative comment that I have heard on this forum regarding a negative Milodon part experience.

First though that comes to mind, GET OVER IT. Accept responsibility for the installation of your performance parts adn expect that bad things can and do happen. Be your own warranty agent. When GM builds your car there are hundreds of different suppliers involved making parts. People and machines make mistakes. GM accepts responsibility for a defective part instead of sending you to the manufactuer because they put the system together and made the profit. Guess what, now you're the manufactuer and its on your shoulders.

The fact they offered you $200 towards repair shows that they are a company that operates in good faith, and that has always been my experience with them.

If you want someone else to shoulder the responsibility for your car, buy one with a warranty and leave it stock. Get your oil changed though a chain and spend your days waxing.

There are numerous steps that you could have taken to ensure the integrity of the parts you installed.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:44 PM

Exclamation Re: Milodon Bad Part Experience

Mark,

Be honest with yourself - would be have the same advice for yourself if this happened to you????

You would "get over it" and move on.....OK

The part did not have a faulty weld, the weld was MISSING.

If I had the opportunity to compare a good part to the bad part, it would have been obvious, but I did not. My ASSumption was the part was good out of the box.

OK - I am an idiot, I should have known.

There are 2 sides to every story, but, my friend, settling for the $200 is not going to cut it.

Maybe you would be satisfied, but I am not.

I don't expect people to agree with me, but my intent is very simple - demonstrate what happens when a company provides a bad product, and how they respond to the customer.

Milodon responded very poorly. All communications with them were very combative. Their attitude is the customer is stupid, and doe not know anything.

Well, I was stupid once. It won't happen again. If Milodon is the only company making oil pump pick ups, I will whittle one out of wood before I buy one from them.

And, your point about buying a car under warranty.....not a bad idea.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:07 AM

......well all I know is that I'm currently looking over oil pans for my 413 small block that's being built for my '32 Ford as I need to get one by the end of the month. And of course I'll also get the oil pump pick-up with it. I was looking at Moroso, Hamburger & Milodon. Now I'm just looking at the Moroso & the Hamburger. True this is the first bad thing I've ever heard about Milodon but then I've never heard anything bad about Moroso or Hamburger...... Bill
Old 07-16-2006, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.396
Mark,

Be honest with yourself - would be have the same advice for yourself if this happened to you????
Yes, absolutely. Maybe its because I've spent the last 18 years in the automotive aftermarket as a professional and an enthusiast. I've been in your situation and Milodon's. I do empathise with your situation but Milodon is not responsible for your inspection and install. YOU or the installer/builder is responsible for inspection and the suitability of the parts installed. Its not much different the burning your tongue on hot coffee and then wanting to sue for damages. Milodon builds good parts and most of the key employees have been there for many years. Ken Sink, their sales manager came to Milodon after spending many years at Weiand before the Holley buyout.. He himself is an enthusiat with a roots blown hotrod.

In the aftermarket performance industry you run across all sorts of unfortunate situations where someone wants a company to be responsible for their action/inaction or lack of experience or skill. This is part of the business. Milodon went above and beyond by offering you some cash to help with machine work and parts. I don't think they deserve a bad rap on a board for an isolated incident that was preventable by both parties involved.

Moral of the story: If you're going to be a participant in the performance scene inspect your parts and accept personal responsibility for the work you do yourself. Take pride in that work.

Last edited by markinkc69z; 07-16-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:58 AM

Atleast you got some money for it.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by markinkc69z
Yes, absolutely. Maybe its because I've spent the last 18 years in the automotive aftermarket as a professional and an enthusiast. I've been in your situation and Milodon's. I do empathise with your situation but Milodon is not responsible for your inspection and install. YOU or the installer/builder is responsible for inspection and the suitability of the parts installed. Its not much different the burning your tongue on hot coffee and then wanting to sue for damages. Milodon builds good parts and most of the key employees have been there for many years. Ken Sink, their sales manager came to Milodon after spending many years at Weiand before the Holley buyout.. He himself is an enthusiat with a roots blown hotrod.

In the aftermarket performance industry you run across all sorts of unfortunate situations where someone wants a company to be responsible for their action/inaction or lack of experience or skill. This is part of the business. Milodon went above and beyond by offering you some cash to help with machine work and parts. I don't think they deserve a bad rap on a board for an isolated incident that was preventable by both parties involved.

Moral of the story: If you're going to be a participant in the performance scene inspect your parts and accept personal responsibility for the work you do yourself. Take pride in that work.
that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If I go and get my oil changed, and they drain and don't refill it and my engine blows it's their fault. If they offer me $20 and say, here, go buy some new oil elsewhere, it's not going to make it any better, or get them off the hook.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:46 PM

I normally assume responsibility for checking parts, as I have had many "bad" new ones.

I have put together close to a dozen engines (sbc's, bbc's, ford 2.3's, and a few random ones). It isn't at all uncommon for a oil pickup to be a simple press fit, with no welds. I have always considered welding the pickup to be "optional" , and usually put a tack on it. If the new pump, withpickup, came without a weld from the manufacturer I may have also assumed it did not need one. Then again, was the 90 days up?

Quick Reply: Milodon Bad Part Experience