Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

leaf springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 08:49 PM

leaf springs

good and bad things about sticking with leaf springs.

Ive heard leaving the leaf springs and getting some ssm lift bars would be fine.. but I dont want to make a mistake here at all.

I was going to post a link to a guy that made his own rear frame and stuffs.. but I cannot find it to save my life

I guess more of a question would be what would you do and why?

-Bud
Old 09-17-2002, 06:14 AM

I guess the answer would be to qualify the question..

budget? Leafs are cheap, and work for 99% of all applications. SS liftbars, Slide a link, good old Competition Engineering slapper bars.. all get the job done on the street or track.. there are cars running in the 8's on leafs with slappers..

Rich? Build a frame and slide an IRS with coilovers on it.. or a road race 3-link set up

I have seen some fiberglass leafs advertised, but I don't know that I would use a slapper style bar on them.. I fear them cracking..

All out drag race? New frame with 4-link or ladder bars..

Kinda comes down to what you want to do, and how big your pocket book or technical capabilities are...
Old 09-17-2002, 12:46 PM

Well I know we can build a rear frame for it... we built the jig the car is on now. I can get the tools if we dont have them, that is no problem.

I really dont know where to start.. or even start asking questions for my suspension stuffs. I have a 9" which we are going to shorten to fit some 17x11s in the back and it will be mini tubd. Id like the car to handle at least as well as the GTA, but have a decent ride quality.

Any ideas? Im a bit lost on where to start. I want it to hook well, but not have bad handling. Dont want to make a mistake by leaving the leafs in there.

-Bud
Old 09-17-2002, 01:00 PM

I was just thinking, why wouldnt 4th gen camaro stuffs work on a 1st gen .. considering I have a T-56, why wouldnt I be able to set the rear up like a 4th gen if I had a parts car... then buy suspension stuff for a T56 4th gen with a 9".

For example.. if I did that why couldnt I be able to use this on my 67 considering I have a 9" and a T-56 from a 93LT1?

http://www.spohn.net/index.cfm?fusea...t&productid=30

if it wouldnt fit, we could make a bracket or something to make it fit.

Just trying to think of stuff, I really dont know. has anyone done anything like that? Ive heard of someone doing something similar with the front suspension, but maybe Im just making that up.

-Bud

Last edited by 67 Camaro; 09-17-2002 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:34 PM

Lightbulb

http://www.calvertracing.com

I use these....

Old 09-18-2002, 12:04 AM

If you want the best of both worlds, make sure that any traction device doesn't bind or restrict the suspension in any way. The calvert bars work well too.. slappers, if you buy a quality set and leave an air gap on the snubbers, don't bind in normal driving.
You could change to the 4th gen style, providing you can get all the suspension mounting points correct, if you miss a little bit, then it will do strange things when the axle moves up and down. And you also will need to modify the trans tunnel for clearance.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the leafs for most applications, there are 1st and 2nd gens with street tires pulling close to 1g on the skid pad.