Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

How do you know???

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 01:18 PM

How do you know???

I am in the market for a first gen camaro and had a few quetions.

First, If al the info you have is the info on the cowl tag and the vin# how can you tell what the car left the dealer as (RS, SS or Z28) and what options it might have had? Is there a place that there should be another sticker or tag that lists this stuff? I have talked to some people about a few cars and most of them dont know what the car came with. The reason I would want to know is that if the car was an original Z28 I might pay alittle more for it then if it were just a normal Camaro. If it is just a normal Camaro, V6 or what ever then I would build it like I want but if it were a RS, SS or Z28 I would try to stay true to what it was.

Second, What are some things that I would want to start to rethink a posible purchas? Where does a restoration start to get TOO expensive?

Thanks for the info in advanced.

Matt
Old 01-08-2004, 02:45 PM

A little more for a Z-28? If its a numbers matching original you'll be paying a lot more.

1967's had the best information on the cowl tag.

1968's had very little information other than color, interior trim, 6 or 8 cyl, coupe or convertible.

1969's built late out of the Norwood, Ohio plant had X codes.

All cars are worth more if numbers matching and documented. I paid a little more for my 67 RS because it fell into that category and also had the Protect-O-Plate book.

The best resource on-line for deciphering the trim tags and codes is http://www.camaros.org

http://www.camaros.net is also good.

As far as purchasing? My 67 RS was a complete car that needs little. My other 67 was a clean repaint that needs all new interior and chrome. Although I still feel I got a good deal on it, I'm beginning to now realise how much work is really involved with finishing the task.

The amount of time, money and work really depends on how far you plan to take it, and what you want to do with it.

If you have more questions... just ask.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:43 PM

Thanks for the reply. I have plenty of time to work on something that may need it. I know that I might end up buying something that will need a lot of work. The part that Im having trouble with is at what point does it become more money then its worth? I know that is totally up to my budget and that is really the limitations for a person. I just want a good idea of what I should pay for what. I really wouldnt know a good deal unless it was painfully obvious. Thanks again for the info and the inks. I will check them out. Any more input would be great.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:58 PM

it depends on what you want if you want a rs/ss 396 car dont buy a running rs sbc that needs body work either buy a car done or build one it is smart to buy a complete car to tear apart to build it to something else and it cost to much also
Old 01-10-2004, 04:57 AM

Kacy,
I just want a first gen camaro. What I do with it depends on the kind of car it is. If its not a RS, SS or Z28 then I would like to make it a nice clean looking car along the lines of a pro touring car. But if it is a RS, ect., then I would like to stay close to what it was to begin with. Thanks for your input.

Matt
Old 01-10-2004, 03:47 PM

Matt, if you're going pro tourning, you're most likely going to be investing way more than you'd ever get by selling the car. I've seen some pro-touring 1st gens sell close to $100K US, but the sellers had way more than that into them.

You can still get plain Jane (generic) restored 1st gen Camaros for $20K US or less. Where you go from there is up to your own imagination and wallet.

Keep in mind that a numbers matching original first gen Camaro will continue to increase in value and will always be worth more than most non matching hotrods.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:06 PM

I dont ever plan on putting that much money into the car. When I say pro touring I mean something of that style, not necessarily all out like a lot of them are. It would be toned down quite a bit. The reason Im asking all this is my father in law found a 68 camaro (they say its a SS but not numbers matching) for $3400. The car runs so-so and the body needs just about every panel replaced. They say is got a SBC 400ci w/a 4 speed. They said it came with a 350 whitch could be but then if what I read is right it shouldnt have had the 4 speed. This seems like a lot of money for something that sounds like its all rust. I have seen some good looking running ones going for anywhere between 8k-15k. I want to work on it and make it my own. I have been wanting one for the past 8yrs but something has always happened that I couldnt get it at the time. I have been hoping to find the little old ladies car for sale but Im begining to think thats just a myth. Oh well, thanks for your input.

Matt
Old 01-10-2004, 09:01 PM

A 4 speed is very likely. If it originally came with a 350 it has to be an SS... Chevrolet only offered the 350 in the SS Camaro from 1967-69. If I had to guess, the 350 probably iwan't original and they're mearly guessing.

$3400 would not be bad if the body was in fairly good condition. However, since it does have the drivetrain, its still not a bad price even if it needs major surgey.

I've see rollers (no motor, no tranny) that need a lot of body work sell for over $2500. Seeing that the motor and tranny are included, that might not be a bad deal. I'd have to see the condition of the body though to be sure.
Old 01-10-2004, 09:24 PM

i paid $2000 for my car heres the link
Old 01-13-2004, 04:50 PM

Stay away from rust if at all possible (I know I say that all the time on here ). Unless it's a body panel that's very easy to replace, like a front fender or the hood. You just don't want to have to be welding in patch panels all over the roof or around the windows.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:06 PM

I paid 3k for mine, rust free, and primered already with most of the car in boxes that came with it It does need some body work, minor dings and paint might have been a little high for the price but its all relative
Old 01-17-2004, 12:14 AM

Here is another thought- when you put a lot of money into the car then you are afraid to drive it for fear of paint chips, someone doing something to it , or even an original breaking ( and no original part is cheap). So first decide why you want the car and then buy accordingly.
Good luck, Dan