Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

First Gen Pros in here please

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 11:03 PM

First Gen Pros in here please

Well I just met my new neighbor(I Moved) He has a 67 RS.He took me in the garage tonight and pulled the cover for me so I could check it out.It was a pretty nice piece needing some attention yet but in good condition. When he pulled the cover off the first thing I noticed that seemed out of the ordinary was a pair of 283 emblems on the fenders.I thought that seemed to be to new of a model for a 283.The car was built in Los Angeles in November of 66 The motor was cast @ 2 to 3 weeks prior as the trans and rear end so we are guessing all of this to be original.According to Chevrolet by the numbers that is a possible combination and so far all of the numbers line up with one another.So far he has found out both the interior and exterior have had a color change.Originally it was a gold with gold delux interior but it is Black/Black standard interior now.Here are some of the other things I have found out so far.
283 190hp
2spd Slip and slide powerglide
3:08 Rear
Factory A/C
43,270 original miles
and heres the kicker
Factory power windows.
I had never seen power windows on a first gen before.To me this seemed like quite a odd combination/rare options.I usually stick to the 3rd gens but know a little about 1st gens and to me this seemed odd.what do you guys think??The car has been in storage for like 20 some years.It was in Texas for all of those years so it is still really solid.How much do you think this car could be worth if restored correctley?? He paid $7K for it a week ago and has already been offered $9k for it he said. Any info from you first gen pros??

James
Old 08-12-2003, 12:18 PM

Yes power windows were optional in 1967 and quite frankly while rarer than non-power window cars, they are still quite common.

However, a 283 never came in a "production" Camaro. I say production because Vince Piggins did test the 283HP/283CI in the prototype that was to become the original Z/28. But, a 283 never made it into production.

In 1967 the base motors were the 250CI six, and the 210HP/327CI. There was an optional 275HP 327 as well. A 350V8 and two different versions of the 396. (The Z/28 also had a 302.) The Powerglide automatic was std with the six, and optional on others except for the 396's and 302.

In 1967 the base V8 motor for the Chevelle was the 190HP/283CI... so more than likely the motor is out of a Chevelle.

As a price point, I passed on a 67 std Camaro last year with power windows and the std interior because it had a non-matching 350 because it had some rust problems and the guy was asking $4000 for it.

However, your neighbor's Camaro didn't come with a 283 from the factory.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:34 PM

I thought that it seemed weird to have a 283 in that car.I am not calling you a liar and I am not an affciando on first gens,But he showed me in the book titled "Chevrolet bt the numbers" that a 283 and a glide were availible in the 67 model year as a option. I don't know why a smaller V-8 would be considered a option.Over a 6 cyl I can see it but not the other V-8's. So far all of the info he showed me on the trim tag matches everything else.Where do you get the numbers off of the block to compare with the V.I.N.? I thought they were on the front passengers side of the block just in front of the head on the deck surface.Is that true?? Or do you get the numbers off of the back of the block by the bellhousing?? We both would like to know so he can sort this out.I still have never heard of a 283 in a Camaro unless transplanted there by the owner but that book says it is possible. Thanks for your help.I can tell you know your stuff on the first gens.

James
Old 08-12-2003, 03:54 PM

Whats is the casting number on the block?

Does he know it off hand? please post it here...
Old 08-12-2003, 04:40 PM

The VIN wasn't on the passenger side of the block until 68. However the engine code block code was. The VIN was on the back of the block in 67.

I also have Chevrolet by the numbers. That's right, there were a few optional 283's for the "Camaro" however they were all dissassembled and exported overseas for reassembly. I was thinking of those cars only available in the states. So if its really an "MJ" block 283, then it might be one that was exported. (Perhaps to Antwerp, Belgium?) If that's the case, the VIN tage (inside front driver's door jamb) should have the name of the overseas reassembly plant.

It would be quite rare then. According to "CBN" there were only 72 MD (4-speed) and 121 MJ (powerglide) 283's made. All were exported.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:36 AM

Actually, the Camaro did come with a 283. But, they were Aussie cars only.. Now I am new to this board, but I would like to think I know my stuff about first gens being I grew up with a father that was obsessed with Camaros. I have learned never say never when it comes to these cars. There may have been a mix up on the line and someone but the engine and badges on it by mistake. For instance, my uncle has a 69 396 375hp 4-speed Chevelle he bought new in 69. But when he restored the car 10yrs ago he noticed that the block was stamped to be an automatic (engine has never been replaced only has 50,*** miles on the car). So what I am saying is you never know for sure without further investigation.