Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Engine Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 03:54 PM

Post Engine Timing?

Hey guys this is my first post. I just recently got my first car, 68 SS,350 with edelbrock intake and 2bl carb. I bought it like this so im not to sure wat else has been done to it, but its putting out more then a stock 350. Im having a prob. with my fuel air mixture its to rich and i can smell gas outta the tailpipe, like its not burning it all. If thats even the problem, i dunno. The timing seems to be off cause u can hear and feel its not even. i wanna know if theres anyway to fix it wit/o taking it in? I gotta torque wrench but not sure how much i should torque it? Thanks
Old 05-06-2004, 07:01 PM

welcome aboard. now im no expert but i do know that you dont need a tourque wrench to play with the timing. you do need a timing light though. and adjustments will be made at the dist. it sounds more of a jetting issue if you are running rich. different jets in the carb might fix it. like i said im far from being an expert, hell, im just learning a lot of stuff myself by rebuilding a 67 rs/ss, so if you dont like my advice i understand. good luck and hopefully some of the veterns can chime in and help you out
Old 05-06-2004, 08:28 PM

I am no expert but here is a short list in order of what I suggest to do to troubleshoot your engine especially not being there to see/here/smell it:

I am unsure of your expertese so if I talk too simple forgive me. First thing to do is go purchase a Haynes manual for the car they are usually less than $20.

1) is your choke functioning correctly?

2) if choke is ok then: ensure all plugs are firing by checking that all wires are in tact and snugly on the spark plugs and on the distributor.

3) If needed pull the plugs and see if they are firing right/fouled/rich etc.

4) if everything looks OK so far and you have not found the problem I would then turn to fuel or possibly timing.

5) If you have a timing light and know how to use it check the timing but it is important that the engine be running the correct rpm, the vacuum advance disabled, etc. etc.

6) from timing if still no problem than I would be looking at the carb and/or fuel filter.

As I said I am not an expert but this list usually covers most of it.

good luck

Last edited by pearlpurple; 05-06-2004 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:50 PM

Thanks

Thanks alot. I have a friend who has a timing light i could probably get him to help me, now that i think of it. The car also has a smaller than usual battery so i dont think the car gettin enough juice.(came that way from Texas) I'll check all those things when i get home today. Thanks again and have fun on your Camaro.
*Sidenote*
Does anyone have experience with changing the rear leaf springs into coil-overs? i've seen a kit online for it, my susp. is shot! also anyone have a good shock that they recommend?
Thanks too all!