Classic Engine Tech 1967 - 1981 Engine Related

Big Oil Leak -383sbc

Old 06-14-2008, 07:44 PM

Unhappy Big Oil Leak -383sbc

So ive been trying to get my 67 Camaro ready for PINKS all out. The last couple weeks in my spare time ive been going over little mickey mouse things to get it track ready since ive never ran the car there before. Long story short just took it out for a little drive and got on it for the 1st time in a while and now its leaking oil bad. Now "normal" driving conditions it wont leak or wont leak to where it's noticable, only when i get on it..

Its leaking passenger side on top of the bellhousing. I JUST parked it 5 minutes ago and I now have a 4ince puddle of oil. Right now the car is cooling down. I checked the valve cover and distributor and no oils leaking from either gasket.

I know some sbc have a plug or hole for another oil sending unit, im not 100% sure if mine does. Anyone have any suggestions as of what or where I should look... I gotta give the car at leaset an hour to cool, so id figure id get all the suggestion i can...

thanx in advance for any help!

Last edited by CamaroKid67; 06-14-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:36 AM

If the leak was under pressure it would seem to me that it would leak at idle almost as much as at higher RPM. On the other hand, a leak that appears only after hard driving could be something like a manifold end-rail seal. There are only so many places an engine can leak but when there's a puddle it isn't always easy to locate. I once had a small leak under pressure at the rear cam plug. The flexplate would sling oil around inside the bell housing until it oozed from a small tapped hole on the bellhousing flange of the block. Clean everything up, drive it a short distance, look things over carefully. You'll find it.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:47 PM

Check the dipstick tube. Mine weeps out the tube under hard acceleration.

Other things to check might include pulling the distributor out to see if its the oil pressure sending unit boss. Those get cracked once and a while. I actually got fed up with cracking that darned tube, so I screwed in an -AN4 fitting and mounted the pressure sending unit onto the firewall.

Check also the rear intake manifold gasket. Sometimes it takes a bit more RTV to get it right.

Lastly, could you be pooling up oil in the valve cover and have it leak out the valve cover gasket? At low RPM it would drain back fast enough but at high RPM and acceleration, it's feasable that it's pooling ont he back of the valve cover and leaking out , if the gasket isn't perfect. My old 305, which never used to leak anything anywhere, started hosing down the track when I started road racing it. Oil would build up on the top end, and the gaskets were not in good enough shape to hold in the oil under extended high RPM and cornering forces.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:13 AM

Being on the passenger side (seeing as the car is sitting level) rules out the oil pressure sending unit bosses,the oil filter...the only thing I would think it could be leaking from is the back of the intake manifold,head gasket (doubt it though) or the dipstick like said above.

Who put the intake mani on the motor? What was used on the rear "china wall" to seal the block to the intake? Hopefully they didnt use a gasket b/c that could be the problem....should use a thick bead of black silicon instead.