Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Whistle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:47 PM

Whistle?

I have been getting a whistle sound from my car. It increases when the RPM's goes up. Its weird, at first I thought it was coming from under my hood. Then just now I carefully listened and it sounded like it was coming from the rear. I pulled over and there it was, it was coming from my damn rear speakers. Has this happened to anyone? If so how did you fix it? Please help cause its driving me crazy. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:36 AM

What you're most likely hearing is alternator noise thru the stereo system. Give us some details about your stereo sysytem. Stock? After-market? Amplifiers? Etc., etc.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by LS1 RULZ
What you're most likely hearing is alternator noise thru the stereo system. Give us some details about your stereo sysytem. Stock? After-market? Amplifiers? Etc., etc.
Well my Stereo system has alway been stock. What do you think I can do bro to fix this?
Old 12-04-2006, 10:04 AM

That's really odd. Alternator noise usually isn't an issue for a stock stereo system like that. Have you done anything to the car's electrical system? Like adding any electrical accessories of any kind?
Old 12-04-2006, 03:41 PM

Hey what's up? I know this isn't going to help much, but yes... It's happened to me. I don't know how it started, but i was driving and it sounded like something was stuck in my exhaust. The more i gave it gas, the louder it would get. It actually sounded like I was in the cockpit of a jet. The faster i went, the louder it got... Until one day, i decided to open my windows to hear it better, i shut off the radio... and it was gone. Then I realized like you said, it's the damn rear speaker. The right rear speaker. It came and went, and now it has stopped. I was actually going to replace my rear speakers because i thought they were shot, but it's good now. It's the right rear speaker on my car. How about yours? I thought for sure one of my cats were clogged.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:44 PM

That's really odd. Alternator noise usually isn't an issue for a stock stereo system like that. Have you done anything to the car's electrical system? Like adding any electrical accessories of any kind?
Well I was getting a whistle on my previous 2001 Camaro V6 but never paid attention to it. But now I'm getting it on my 2000 Camaro SS, the only thing I have added recently are Longtube headers/ory but nothing electrical. But I'm sure the sound if coming from my rear speakers may even be front as well. But I placed my head right on the rear speaker and there it was.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianSS
Hey what's up? I know this isn't going to help much, but yes... It's happened to me. I don't know how it started, but i was driving and it sounded like something was stuck in my exhaust. The more i gave it gas, the louder it would get. It actually sounded like I was in the cockpit of a jet. The faster i went, the louder it got... Until one day, i decided to open my windows to hear it better, i shut off the radio... and it was gone. Then I realized like you said, it's the damn rear speaker. The right rear speaker. It came and went, and now it has stopped. I was actually going to replace my rear speakers because i thought they were shot, but it's good now. It's the right rear speaker on my car. How about yours? I thought for sure one of my cats were clogged.
Yeah, same with mine. Like the other day it wasn't whistling anymore. But most of the time it does though like today and lastnight. I think its actually on both my rear speakers. Do you think changing it will fix the problem? Its weird cause even when I turn off the radio I still hear it. I would think that if the radio was off it would go away. Its really annoying but it sounds like I have a damn supercharger hahaha!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:49 PM

That's it! I demand GM do a recall... And while they are at it, they can put an aftermarket cam in my car cause that is just to damn expesive to do!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:53 PM

Hahaha, yeah man for real. While they are at it I want a STS Turbo with mine LOL.

But really, I need to get that damn whistle off my sh*t man. I'm sur there are lots of people this has happened too. Please help guys!
Old 12-04-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by scof0elife
Yeah, same with mine. Like the other day it wasn't whistling anymore. But most of the time it does though like today and lastnight. I think its actually on both my rear speakers. Do you think changing it will fix the problem? Its weird cause even when I turn off the radio I still hear it. I would think that if the radio was off it would go away. Its really annoying but it sounds like I have a damn supercharger hahaha!
Seriously... I know we're not helping you out at all by saying that we have the same problem, because we can't figure it out oursleves.. ha ha! But i thought it was really cool one time... I was driving and this car next to me probably wanted to race, and just wanted to see how fast my car was... And i know he can't hear that noise, but i felt like i was from TOPGUN........ Flying an F-14 SS....... But it's def the speaker. If you turn the voulume low, you still hear it, when i turn my radio off... It's gone. One time i hit a pot hole, and it went away. Now that i think about it, i started getting that noise when i changed my exhaust again. I had Borla on my car, and it just wasn't loud enough. At a red light my car sounded like it was off... When i took off and drove around, it sounded nice. Anyways, ever since i got my LOUD MOUTH 1...... Gees....... It's so freaking loud, i think it must have something to do with that. Sorry bro, that's all I know.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:00 AM

This might sound crazy but, when i did my system, I heard that same noise.. And thought it was my rear speakers, But it wasnt.. It was my fuel pump.. So you might want 2 check, before you spend on some new speakers..

Your fuel pump sits almost in the middle of your rear speakers, and it sounds just like that noise your talking about..
Old 12-06-2006, 12:44 AM

[QUOTE=ItalianSS;4263461]Seriously... when i turn my radio offQUOTE]

When I turn my radio off its still there?
Old 12-06-2006, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by GALIATHON
This might sound crazy but, when i did my system, I heard that same noise.. And thought it was my rear speakers, But it wasnt.. It was my fuel pump.. So you might want 2 check, before you spend on some new speakers..

Your fuel pump sits almost in the middle of your rear speakers, and it sounds just like that noise your talking about..

Thats weird, I will need to check that out bro. I've heard it before on my last camaro after when I installed my Loudmouth. Since I've installed longtube/ory on my 2000 Camaro SS it got louder. Dang, we need to find a for sure solution. Thanks for the help though!
Old 12-06-2006, 05:27 AM

The fuel pump's motor may be the cause of your noise then. Electric motors radiate a lot of noise that can be picked up by the speaker wiring. Induced noise like this is why it's best to use RCA cables that use "twisted pair" construction. Since this is the stock stereo we're talking about in this case it may be that the speaker wires are too close to the fuel pump or some other device that's radiating noise.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:27 PM

The fuel pump's motor may be the cause of your noise then. Electric motors radiate a lot of noise that can be picked up by the speaker wiring. Induced noise like this is why it's best to use RCA cables that use "twisted pair" construction. Since this is the stock stereo we're talking about in this case it may be that the speaker wires are too close to the fuel pump or some other device that's radiating noise.
Wow, thanks man. I'm going to check that this weekend when I work on my car. I hope your right bro, thanks for your help. I also hope it fixes everyone esle problem as well.

Quick Reply: Whistle?