Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion
View Poll Results: What is the best car sub and why?
JL Audio
27.27%
Kicker
27.27%
Adire
9.09%
Audiobahn
4.55%
Focal
0%
Boston Acoustics
4.55%
Image Dynamics
9.09%
PPI
0%
Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood
4.55%
Other (dang there is too many)
13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

What's the best car sub and why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:17 PM

What's the best car sub and why?

Please include info like model and size and why you like it so much. You could also include how it compares to others and if price or box size was any factor in you decision making. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:29 PM

I'm partial to the 10" Kicker Solobaric L7 because it works very well in a small box/space. (1cu. ft. or less) Price was not really a consideration. It is fairly clean, tight, and very authoritative even with extremely low frequencies. I'm only running one 10" and the only problem is that I can't seem to get the car to stop shaking.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:48 PM

Let's start by admitting that there is no "right answer" to this question. That being said....

I think everyone here knows that I prefer the 10" Alpine 1041D Type-S over the JL 10W3 D4 I used to have. The JL has worked out to be a great sub for my home theater setup (2.5 cubic feet sealed enclosure with dual Dynaudio Vario-vents) but it was seriously lacking in the .6 cubic feet of my Vantage Stealthbox. The Type-S, to my ears, totally outperforms the JL in this enclosure. And to be honest the 19 year old 10" Pyle Driver I used to use in my '85 Firebird SE with a 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure put both the JL AND Type-S to shame. Too bad that sub's foam surround gave up the farm many years ago. I would have liked to have seen what it could do in my car now.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:21 PM

Thumbs up

Originally posted by LS1 RULZ
Let's start by admitting that there is no "right answer" to this question. That being said....

I think everyone here knows that I prefer the 10" Alpine 1041D Type-S over the JL 10W3 D4 I used to have. The JL has worked out to be a great sub for my home theater setup (2.5 cubic feet sealed enclosure with dual Dynaudio Vario-vents) but it was seriously lacking in the .6 cubic feet of my Vantage Stealthbox. The Type-S, to my ears, totally outperforms the JL in this enclosure. And to be honest the 19 year old 10" Pyle Driver I used to use in my '85 Firebird SE with a 1 cubic foot sealed enclosure put both the JL AND Type-S to shame. Too bad that sub's foam surround gave up the farm many years ago. I would have liked to have seen what it could do in my car now.
Sorry dude I forgot to include Alpine. There is just too many and you are right. There is no best. You have to include why you think it's best for your application. I tried to edit the poll to include Alpine because several folks like them but I couldn't. Sorry. You could include a vote for other if you want. So it looks like box size was a major factor in deciding. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:27 PM

The enclosure will almost always make a bigger difference than the sub will. An average sub in a well matched (and made) enclosure will out perform a great sub in a mediocre enclosure any day.

As for why I like the Type-S... it fills my needs as an accurate sub for the type of music I listen to. Which is 70's and 80's era "Classic Rock"

Last edited by LS1 RULZ; 06-24-2004 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:17 PM

So far the best sounding sub i have heard is the Brahma series subs. The 10 and 12 work great in really small boxes .3 cubes for the 10 and .7 for the 12...... but overall i like the 15 best, in the 2.3 cube ported that i have in my car now (Brother in Law's sub) it is a very good sounding sub..... best i have heard, I would say better than the 12 was sealed and ported.

Keep in mind that i have pretty extensive listening experience, but i have not heard everything and i can only vote on what i have heard.

Last edited by rthompson; 06-24-2004 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by rthompson
So far the best sounding sub i have heard is the Brahma series subs. The 10 and 12 work great in really small boxes .3 cubes for the 10 and .7 for the 12...... but overall i like the 15 best, in the 2.3 cube ported that i have in my car now (Brother in Law's sub) it is a very good sounding sub..... best i have heard, I would say better than the 12 was sealed and ported.
Good info. I should give these an ear. I wonder if there is a dealer in sac?
Old 06-24-2004, 05:06 PM

http://adireaudio.com/Dealers/dealers.htm

CALIFORNIA
Extreme Car Stereo
834 Channing Circle
Benicia, CA 94510
PHONE: 1 707 315 8499
E-MAIL: coryobrien@extremecarstereo.com
WEB: http://www.extremecarstereo.com

High Sierra HI FI
2083 Van Loon
Bishop, CA 93514
PHONE: 1 760 937 7120
WEB: http://www.highsierrahifi.com

Powered4Sound
12344 Shaunsetta Court
Auburn, CA 95603
PHONE: 1 916 532 3060
E-MAIL: powered4sound@yahoo.com
WEB: http://www.powered4sound.com

Seriously the Brahma is a fantastic sounding sub, IMO it tops everything i have heard to date, and that includes some of the better sounding subs you are going to find. The following are subs that i have personally auditioned in my car and/or owned
Eclipse Aluminum 88120 and 8812 (owned)
Alumapro Alchemy 10 (owned)
IDQ 12V2 (borrowed for a week)
IDSPL (owned)
ID Max 12 V3 (borrowed for 3 days)
Elemental Designs 12A (owned)
Stereo Integrity Magnum D2 12" (borrowed for a month)

And to a lesser extent I have also had the following in my car to audition..... Perfect 12 (borrowed for a few days), 10w0, Alpine Type R, Digital Designs 9512, 9515, Elemental Designs SP (owned), Adire Shiva (Borrowed for 2 months Thanks Dan), Ground Zero Nuclear 12 (owned), RF Power series 12 (owned, pre DVC model), MTX 7000 10"...... seriously i am a very lucky man to not only try these subs out, but to try them in my car makes me kind of proud...... Car Audio get togethers rule
Old 06-24-2004, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the info. This link was extremely informative and included video:

http://www.extremecarstereo.com/

Looks like I might have to run to benicia.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:04 PM

I have by no means compared everything to everything else, but I had a set of GS Redlines a while back and those things were so bad ***. They were 12s, and they made my rearview completely usesless when turned up It was very hard to make them distort without using a crappy burn [cd bitrate] or something like that.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:31 AM

By no means do I have extensive experience with different subs, but IMO, the elemental desings sounds incredible in our cars inside a stealthbox. I'm happy I waited as long as I did to receive it, b/c it was well worth it.

BTW, the question is hard to answer....different people have different tastes. I like my bass to be accurate, which the ED is extremely accurate. Others like their bass just plain loud.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28
I have by no means compared everything to everything else, but I had a set of GS Redlines a while back and those things were so bad ***. They were 12s, and they made my rearview completely usesless when turned up
Bahaha. Tell me about it. I only have ONE 10" solobaric L7 and it was hitting so hard the dash was shaking and the rear view mirror vibrated right off the mount and fell on the floor!!

Just ONE of these 10" L7's when setup right can provide a very invigorating full body massage.

Last edited by Tekprodave; 06-28-2004 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:36 AM

Being a SQ guy now more than an SPL, I am partial to Boston Acoustics Pro Series. The JL's are also a great driver. Really most manufacturers make comparitive drivers throughout several budget ranges. When dealing with reputable companies, they are all decent. Boston just inches on top because of the good dealings I have always had with them, and I DO love the sound they produce.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:42 PM

Adire Brahma
RE XXX
ED A-series

JL W7 - but over 2X the price of the others...
Old 06-30-2004, 09:06 AM

for small spaces i say go with Lanzar subs. they work extremely well in little to no room(the box almost completely wraps around them). my buddy has a set of 15s in the back of his car and when we put the subs in the magnet rubbed on the back of the box. but when he cranks it they push some major bass.

another one of my personal favorites is the DD9510. it hit i think 165 dB at one time. not sure if the number is correct but i know they can handle almost 1500 watts.

Quick Reply: What's the best car sub and why?