Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

What should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 03:48 PM

Question What should i do?

I've got a Kenwood amp (628?,i'd have to look at it) and 2 Polk 12's. I bought the 12's already in a box from a pawn shop 2 years ago. I've had this setup since then, running the 2 channel amp, one channel per speaker for a while now. I notice that when i bridge the amp and connect both speakers to the one channel i get alot more power.

Is this OK?
How do i know what my ohms are on the speakers?
A friend said never to take out the subs and put them back in cuz it'll mess up the seal between the driver and the box, is this true? I wanted to take a look at the sub and also see how the box was made.
I've also noticed that when i wire both speakers to the one channel and when the bass hits there is no sound, it will "mute" itself. What might that be?

Any suggestions?

------------------
~Wilson........
Smoked out Black 93 Z28
EGA behind passenger window...
Sleeping Midnight Blue 89 GSX-R 750
Old 07-16-2002, 05:49 PM

don't worry about breaking the seal between the subs and the box, really the only thing that you need to worry about is if you take the sub out many many times you might strip out the screw holes, other than that no problems.

I would take it out and look at the back anbd see what it says, if it doesn't say what impedance they are, then check them with a multimeter.

------------------
Soundillusions.net
The ultimate in caraudio.

Sony, Arc Audio, Infinity, Adire Audio, A/D/S
Old 07-17-2002, 10:13 AM

Thanks, i'll check tonight

------------------
~Wilson........
Smoked out Black 93 Z28
Old 07-17-2002, 09:18 PM

As said before, don't worry about breaking the seal on the subs. You can put some silicone in the screw holes before you screw them back in and that will help on that part. Get a multi meter and put it on "ohms" or "resistance" and put one lead on one terminal and the other lead on the other terminal. That will determine your ohms. Whether or not it will be ok on your amp, that depends on how many ohms your speakers are and what your amp is recommended running at. Find out how many ohms your subs are and let me know and I'll know more what to tell you on that part.

The thing you were talking about the subs "being muted" is because the subs were out of phase with each other. For example, on the speaker box on one sub you had the positive speaker wire on the positive on the box and the negitive on the negitive. And on the other speaker you had the positive speaker wire on the negitive, and the negitive speaker wire on the positive. That made them 180 degrees out of phase with each other. So when one sub was pushing out then the other sub was pulling in and the sound waves were canceling each other out. All you have to do to fix that problem is switch one of the subs speaker wires around so they both are the same.
Maybe that didn't confuse you too much. LOL. If you got anymore questions then feel free to let me know.

------------------
95 Z28, A4, Green, T-Tops.
Flowmaster Exhaust, K&N CAI.

#3 Forever!!! God Bless You Dale!

Moderator at www.z28owners.net
Old 07-18-2002, 09:39 AM

Thanks Shawnster, i'll see if i have enough time this weekend to crack the box open and take a look at what exactly i have. I don't have the manual to my amp anymore so i'll check with Kenwood. But yea i understood what you wrote, i'm thinking it might be wired wrong inside cuz i know i hooked them up right, but i can be wrong. I'll let you know what the deal is. Thanks again!

------------------
~Wilson........
Smoked out Black 93 Z28