Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Any aftermarket decks that work with '95 steeringwheel controls?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 04:53 PM

Any aftermarket decks that work with '95 steeringwheel controls?

Hey guys,

Like the title says, I'm looking for info on aftermarket CD players that will work with stock '95 steeringwheel controls (if possible), and also, if there is more then one out there, which decks seem to fit the stock stereo compartment the best?

In addition, what size speakers are in the doors of my '95? What size can I put in?

THanks,

Igor.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:28 PM

Re: Any aftermarket decks that work with '95 steeringwheel controls?

Pioneer is the only major name that still makes a 1.5 din radio that fits the F-body. As far as the steering wheel controls, I haven't seen an aftermarket radio that will work with them. There is an interface that allows you to use the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket HU, as long as it came with an infrared remote control, or is infrared capable.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by moparman
Pioneer is the only major name that still makes a 1.5 din radio that fits the F-body. As far as the steering wheel controls, I haven't seen an aftermarket radio that will work with them. There is an interface that allows you to use the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket HU, as long as it came with an infrared remote control, or is infrared capable.
Cool, thanks, any clue on the name of the interface?
Old 05-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Check Crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-snltnaQ...vs=T&o=v&g=750
Old 05-26-2006, 10:48 PM

If your HU uses an infrared remote control you can use an adapter like the PAC SWI-X Steering Wheel Interface. It has 3 wires and a 3mm infrared LED emitter. Hook it up, program it, and your good to go. I switched the LED to a 5mm wide angle LED that I mounted in the cup holder in the center console of my '99 T/A at first. I moved it to the dash facing into the car and it works much better there. That's it in the center of the trim ring. If the sun is shining directly on the face of the HU it can swamp the HU's infrared detecor and prevent the SWI-X's signal from getting to the HU. Other than that it works great. The trim ring is a custom job made for me by Mike over at F-Body Audio.

Metra makes the 99-3009 dash kit that looks pretty good with a single DIN HU. It doesn't make the HU stick out about an inch like most dash kits do. To use it you need to remove the tab inside the dash that supports the back of the factory HU. If I remember correctky all I had to do was bend it down out of the way. Once I did that I was able to mount the SWI-X's brain inside the dash beneath the HU.