Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Technical LED questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Cool Technical LED questions

I am going to be creating some sequential LED turn signals (front and rear). My plan is to use the existing LT1 housings and mounting LEDs to them along with the resistors and micro-controllers.

My main question is which LEDs would be better to use. White LEDs behind the red lens(rear) and yellow lens(front), or use red LEDs behind the red lens and yellow LEDs behind the yellow lens. As far as brightness and visibility for safety.

I'm looking at 5mm LEDs with a 30 to 45 degree viewing angle. 18,000 to 25000 millicandela. Mounting 54 on each rear and 20-25 on the front(still questionable on exactly how many will fit). Having a micro controller for each corner, with inputs from the signals, brake light switch(for rear), parking light switch, and hazzards. 3rd brake light will still be original bulb(until I switch to the SS spoiler). The controllers will be Arduino, the ones with 54 digital outputs.

Writing the program for the controllers will probably be the most challenging, as I have no experience with that. I know that the Arduino code is very similar to C++ and I have a book to learn the C++.

I would just use a 555 timer, but the problem with that is if the brake lights and turn signals are on at the same time, with the 555 timer the brake lights will override the turn signals, which is an obvious problem. So with the Arduino , I can use the "if" statement so that the turn signals will override the brake lights.

2nd question is, can anyone on here offer some advice on writing the actual code and which program should I use to write the code? Will Microsoft Visual Basic work or do I have to use specific Arduino software?

This is going to be a long and drawn out process and will take some time. I can physically mount and wire everything up. I need to find some spare front and rear lenses and start buying up all the necessary components. But I figured while Im accruing all the necessary parts, I can at lease start working on the code for the program.

If anyone can offer some help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Hey maybe if this all works out, I can start producing sequential lighting and a plug and play type of deal.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Technical LED questions

I'm pretty sure you can't write Arduino software in Visual Basic, but if you're already familiar with Visual Studio, there's a plugin: Arduino Ide for Microsoft Visual Studio

That said, all you need is a couple of NAND gates to handle overriding brake lights with turn signals. I think the Arduino approach is massive overkill.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 AM

I created this, it's exactly what your doing. And you want RED Led's not white. The white make the tailights light up orange.

This is from my ls1tech thread:

I finally finished the boards and all the functionallity, thanks to ls1king on here for getting me interested in finishing the boards and the programming. My protoype board has been functioning fine for the last year.

Here is how they came out:

Also a new electronic flasher module for the front lights, speed adjustable, Doesn't care about load, so LED friendly.

Video of them working: Click smugmug link to play

Camaro - Wayne Guibas (wayneg)'s Photos | SmugMug

Hazzard Light Video: Click smugmug link to play

Camaro - Wayne Guibas (wayneg)'s Photos | SmugMug

Last edited by wayneg1035; 05-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:28 PM

After a lot of research, these are probably the best LED's you could use right now. They're 20% brighter then the ones I used last year.

Avagado part # HLMP-EG2A-XYODD

I got them from newark.com / element 14, mouser also lists them but they are out of stock, digikey has them too but they charge more.

As far as programming in basic, by changing the bootloader on the arduino, you can program the arduino in BASIC with a program called BASCOM AVR. It's free for up to 4K program I think. Google BASCOM arduino for info.

Last edited by wayneg1035; 05-14-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:51 PM

You have a very nice car. That is some nice work right there!!! Exactly what I want to do. Right now its on the back burner due to moneys. I was thinking of using the superflux leds in a red-orange color. Over on hidplanet.com, they seem to be the overall consensus on what to use. Any chance you would want to share the programming you made up?

How did you mount the LEDs in the housing? How many did you use per side for just the red area? Are all the outputs of your board set up for PMW? I was thinking of using the program to flash the leds(in sequence), instead of an external flasher module. Can it be done like this? Sorry for all the questions. I have no background at all on electrical engineering. I just have a lot of general know-how(no NAPA jokes!!! haha) and the willingness to learn and try different things.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:23 PM

The back tail lights are pwm, the board does exactly what you want. The flasher module is for the front factory turn signals, don't really need it, but it is cool and has fully adjustable flashing speed. You could also just put a second sequential board and wire up led's to the front and have no flashers. I'm gonna do my fronts soon

There are 102 LED'S in each side. They run in vertical banks of 6, so in my car I have 17 banks per side each bank individually controlled for brightness. The module can support up to 24 banks per side. The LED's are just mounted in holes drilled into the back of the housing, then covered with silicone to seal them. My next set of tails I'm working on has the LED's on boards slid into the housing thru rectangle holes cut in the bottom then sealed with a plastic cover. I probably wouldn't just give out the code it was a lot of work and I'm thinking of maybe marketing a product in the future. I did however send a programmed chip to a member on ls1tech who built the project up to that point. I provided him with the circuit board and chip. He bought all the components and assembled it, then I helped him troubleshoot it.

As far as the LED's go, they have to be very bright because they are shooting on the back of the lenses, not directly being seen. I would buy a few and light them up in the housing to see how well they illuminate with about 30ma.

There are more pictures and videos on my smugmug account. Picture 27 show the housings with the LED's

http://wayneg.smugmug.com/Other/Camaro/9438600_K59Md2

wayne

Last edited by wayneg1035; 05-14-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Ok. I didnt expect you to share the code. Just thought I would ask. I was going to do the sequential for the front turn signals as well. So I would need one board per corner. How would the program differ for the fronts from the rears? I assume you would just eliminate the Brake portion of the code and still have the parking lights, signals and hazards.

How much would you want for the boards with the programs loaded? As much as I would want to do it all myself, the programming has me at a holding point. I would def be willing to take the time and learn, I have a C++ book at home and Visual Studios, and also Arduino sketch. I just lack the time with everything else I have going on. As far as the Leds go, thank you for the info on how many banks and everything you used. I will be mounting them on a board. I think it will give it a cleaner look and be easier on the wiring.