Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Stock radio won't tune into radio station

Old 10-22-2006, 04:59 PM

Stock radio won't tune into radio station

Hello, I have a 96 z28 with the stock Bose system. My radio won't hold a tune on most radio stations. Sometimes it will tune into a station, most of the time it won't. I don't belive it would be the antenna as the radio does work just fine on rare occaisions. I'm considering buying a new head unit but don't want to if I can correct the issues with the current one. AM stations have more problems than FM.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:44 PM

Re: Stock radio won't tune into radio station

I would try the antenna connections first. Places on the net repair stock radios for flat rate $99.00 if you want to keep it stock, just google GM Radio Repair. If you go with a new head, you sould replaces the speakers if possible. Check out Crutchfield.com for additioal help, great people.
Take care, Dave
Old 11-04-2006, 11:38 PM

It seems unlikely that the actual tuning function would fail. The three main connections to check are at the back of the radio, wiring at the base of the antenna, and the antenna itself. I think you'll find a loose connection.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:47 PM

Re: Stock radio won't tune into radio station

Originally Posted by Gerb
Hello, I have a 96 z28 with the stock Bose system. My radio won't hold a tune on most radio stations. Sometimes it will tune into a station, most of the time it won't. I don't belive it would be the antenna as the radio does work just fine on rare occaisions. I'm considering buying a new head unit but don't want to if I can correct the issues with the current one. AM stations have more problems than FM.
Gerb,

Ground the radio chassis in any reliable way, if it is out of the console. Get a 4' length of insulated wire, and strip off half an inch of the insulation at one end. Fold the stripped end back on itself if necessary, and insert it into the radio's antenna connector, deep in the inner female connection. String the insulated wire out one window, with the far end touching nothing. If the radio works normally then, you have an antenna problem. Radio antennas can be shorted, or open, somewhere in the ground shield or the center conductor. It can be repaired if you can locate the problem and you can solder. A new antenna is the easy way out. HTH.