Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Stero security

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 10:37 PM

Stero security

As some may know, i got my entire system ripped off two weeks ago.

I found a new console and have a new deck in the mail. This time I went with the Pioneer 1.5 din one. This one has a removeable face, not just a hide away. I am also going to rig up a back strap type deal so they can not crow bar it out like the old one.

Is there a way to rig the alarm directly too it? ( i am also getting an alarm now ) so that in case they get in, i forget to set the alarm, or something and cut disconnect the wires the alarm will go off anyway?

Also is there any thing else I could do?

when i get around to replacing the subs, i am going stealth same with the amps.

and for those that havent, bolt down you stuff really well, not just half way. At least make them work really really hard to get it.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:15 AM

No alarm system is going to keep a thief from taking whatever it is he is after. The best thing you can do is a stealth install where you hide as much of the system as you can and use common sense when you're out cruising and listening to tunes. If you are out showing off and being loud you are only drawing unwanted attention to yourself. The next thing is to check with your insurance agent to make sure you have proper coverage for your entire system.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:41 AM

just get a good car alarm....dont jimmy rig a not so great one....ive been looking at the one that pages you if the car is opened....still to expensive for my blood....and like LS1 said go stealth.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:55 AM

Re: Stero security

Originally posted by DrDUKE
and for those that havent, bolt down you stuff really well, not just half way. At least make them work really really hard to get it.
If you make them work really hard to get it, and they end up not being able to get what they want out, that just means they're going to get pissed off and trash your stuff. Poke holes in your subs, trash your interior, key your car, etc. Make it easily removable and make sure you've got some sort of insurance coverage, it's all you really can do...
Old 10-15-2003, 09:15 AM

Re: Re: Stero security

Originally posted by FyreLance
If you make them work really hard to get it, and they end up not being able to get what they want out, that just means they're going to get pissed off and trash your stuff. Poke holes in your subs, trash your interior, key your car, etc. Make it easily removable and make sure you've got some sort of insurance coverage, it's all you really can do...
The only problem with this way of thinking is that chances are your car is already trashed because they just smashed your window or ripped the lock cylinder out of the door with a screw driver. The harder it is for them to get the gear out the better. Thieves don't have a lot of time to waste. The longer they are there the higher the odds are of them being caught in the act.

You also need to prove to your insurance company that all your gear was securely anchored to the car. Anything that is not is NOT covered by your policy. Then you also have to worry about having your policy cancelled after making a claim. They're more likely to pay for the damage to your car than they are for a stereo that you didn't have installed properly.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:21 PM

Re: Re: Stero security

Originally posted by FyreLance
Hmm I hadent thought of it like that. I guess that is a possibility. But I imagine that most crooks are fighting time, and under pressure would just give up. Either way your getting ripped, might as well enjoy the fact they didnt get anything out of it.

Oh yeah, my unsurance company said it wouldnt insure the subs or amps or anything unless they where permenetly attached to the car anyhoo.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:03 PM

I would say definately get an alarm with a pager, but this only works if you are in range. Also, get a Siren with a battery backup that way if they cut the wires it will still go off. Mount a second siren in the dash somewhere, realy anoying. Some people also mount a strobe light in the dash making it realy hard to see what they're doing.