Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Stereo install + hesitation?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 08:04 PM

Stereo install + hesitation?

Has anyone ever installed their system only to have their engine hesitate afterward?

The install works (finally!) .. I just can't figure out why my engine is hesitating across the board now.

Any ideas? Has anyone ever experienced this before? I didn't ground anything out, and I had the battery disconnected while installing everything..

Chris
Old 11-11-2002, 09:50 PM

I have a few ideas, but they are just guesses. This may not even be possible...
-You could have shorted an onboard computer or sensor, one in which controlled the fuel system etc.
-You may be sharing a ground with a computer and for some reason interferes with its performace.

Thats all i can think of right now, you should pull the fuse on your system and see if the problem still occurs. It would seem as if the car's wiring is messed up some how and is messing up the fuel control. I don't know any more on the relationship between the two so i can't help you.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:39 AM

Thanks for the input.

I got it to throw a code (again). The car went back shortly after I got the new engine for a misfire...turned out was cylinder #5. They said "loose wire" .. or something like that.

It's grounded to the chassis btw.

Now it's doing the same thing again, except I touched nothing but the battery. I didn't even ground anything out. lol Pulled the SES code and it was a misfire on cylinder #5. So...I don't know. I'm thinking there's a weak link in there somewhere.

Chris
Old 11-12-2002, 01:25 PM

Where are your components grounded? I don't know what you mean when you say you "didn't ground anything out". And where did you run your power wire through the fire-wall?
Old 11-12-2002, 01:51 PM

The amplifier is grounded to a metal screw in the passenger side area (where the spare tire used to be).

By 'didn't ground anything out', I meant that I didn't cross polarities (ie: touch a positive wire to the chassis, etc).

The power wire is run through the grommet under the PCM. No splicing was done anywhere with anything. Someone else mentioned buying a cap for it, but I don't see why the stock electrical system shouldn't be able to support it when it's in the off position!

Chris
Old 11-12-2002, 02:08 PM

you never even mentioned what you installed, what gauge wire you used, etc.

Sounds to me like it's just bad luck and you happened to start having problems after the stereo install.

Good luck.

BTW, you want to have your ground somewhere solid and you want to make sure the paint is scratched away so you're grounding to bare metal. I have my 4 gauge wire to my cap grounded to the rear passenger side seat belt bolt.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by x7x7

Sounds to me like it's just bad luck and you happened to start having problems after the stereo install.

My thoughts. Although, you could have knocked a wire loose getting the wire into the grommet etc.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:56 AM

Thanks for all the input. I finally broke down yesterday and took it into the dealership.

Survey says...coincidence!

bman555 - You were on the right track when you said fuel. Except I didn't short anything out .. one of my injectors was partially faulty. Apparently it wasn't opening all the way. They tried telling me that it needed cleaning...then told me the one injector was screwed, so they were going to replace it under warranty.

Why injectors would be "clogged" on an engine with 1000 miles on it is beyond me.. lol .. but I'm happy, as long as it runs.

Thanks again!

Chris