Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Stealth box what sub would hit best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 08:23 PM

Stealth box what sub would hit best?

Hey all, i am thinking of gettin a stealth box since i want to keep my trunk somewhat useable. But i want loud *** BASS. And i am fairly new to the car audio world. I am looking for something thats gunna put a hole in my ear drum if i want too. Is there a 10 powerfull enough to do it? What do you guys have? amp/woofer combo?

Also, is it worth it to keep the factory head unit? The lights are starting to go out in my headunit i have the monsoon cd. I could do the PAC harness but then i have to burn and yet make another harness simply not plug in. But it is cheaper, they buyin a whole new headunit. But then i would have to find a HU that would fill in the space as well as the stock one did. thanks
Old 05-09-2004, 09:13 PM

this sub will make you crap your pants
its very pricey at 4 bill...but with as low as 22 Freq it'll go way low....and will handle up to 1000wrms, with a max of 3k
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cLLmCkf...&search=alpine
Old 05-09-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally posted by LT1Squirrel
this sub will make you crap your pants
its very pricey at 4 bill...but with as low as 22 Freq it'll go way low....and will handle up to 1000wrms, with a max of 3k
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cLLmCkf...&search=alpine
wow that thing is sweet, but it is out of my price range, if i am gunna blow 400 bones its gunna be on catback and not a sub..lol..its sweet though but too pricey, my price range is a max of 300. Preferably 1-200 range. Like i said i am new to subs, i used to thing legacy was good lol...does alpine make anything good? rockfordfosgate? I just want so bad Bass...but i have to keep my trunk useable for now plus i like the fact that you cant really see the sub, (i work at a mall and dont want my car being broken into) C'mon guys i know ya'll have stealthboxes chime in here.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:16 AM

What you're looking for you aren't going to get on a budget with that enclosure.

To get the bass that you desire out of a "Stealth" box you're going to need a "SQL" subwoofer, and none of them will fit into a off-the-shelf stealth enclosure; they all require a custom fiberglass stealth box.

A "SQL" subwoofer are one of the following:
Adire Audio Brahma MKII
Resonant Engineering XXX
Elemential Designs A-Series
(JL W7, but that's double the price of all of these)

These are all about the same price range as that Alpine, and require a custom box, but these are the ONLY ones that will come even close to what you want out of that enclosure.

Most subs, like that Alpine will be respectable out of a normal stealthbox, but will not blow your mind in any sence.

I'm upgrading my system to a dual stealthbox setup with 2 of the Adire Brahma MKIIs, each getting 1500Wrms, From the chief engineer of Adire I should be pulling over 140dB with that setup.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:39 AM

I'm going with the JL Audio 10W6, lots of kick@ss and wont hurt your pocketbook too much, get a fiberglass case for your cubby to retain trunk and t-top space. I'm also replacing the whole Monsoon system but I still need a head unit. Looking for a alpine iva-d900 or 901.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:30 AM

I have actually heard of alot of people useing the 10w6 in there stealth box, i looked at what subthump recomended as far as subs go and this is what they said would work best:
Subs we recommend for this box are:
JL audio 10w0 thru 10w3V2
Alpine Type R, and Type S
Rockford Fosgate Punch, HE, and HE2
Kicker comp-comp vr
MTX T6000, Image Dynamics,
Elemental Designs E10k (highly recommend the e10k!!)
Please note that this box will fit JL audio 8W7s , but not 10w7s and a few other large magnet 10" subs like HX2 and E10As. Please check with us to make sure your sub will fit.

I am also contemplateing the t-top well enclosure, but since my car is a daily i want to keep the trunk somewhat useable, and i store all my valuable items in the t-top well. But this box gives me the option of either, 3 10's 2 12's or a 15.
http://www.subthump.com/acamarottop.htm

Or a milhouse box since it keeps it all fairly hidden from view but limits trunk space.http://www.subthump.com/acamaromilhouse.htm

What would u guys get? I am really indecisive on this matter...i just dont know which set up would be best for what i want. I guess the rockford Punch series are supposed to be good for a stealth what do you all think?

Last edited by LT-14me; 05-10-2004 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:35 AM

Out of the list that's recommended, go with the ED, no doubt.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:48 AM

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uVruXiU...&avf=N&search=
thinking of getting this alpine sws 1042d i couldnt find any elemental designs on crutchfield. Would bestbuy or circuit city have them?
Old 05-10-2004, 11:50 AM

Nope, you have to go to the MFG...

Not to mention CC, BB, and Crutchfield will charge you at least double what you can buy it for online.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/
Old 05-10-2004, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by LT-14me
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-uVruXiU...&avf=N&search=
thinking of getting this alpine sws 1042d i couldnt find any elemental designs on crutchfield. Would bestbuy or circuit city have them?
You can get 2 of these on eBay for the same price as 1 at Crutchfield.com -or upgrade to the type-r and still pay less than a type-s at Crutchfield.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:43 AM

Originally posted by Lower
You can get 2 of these on eBay for the same price as 1 at Crutchfield.com -or upgrade to the type-r and still pay less than a type-s at Crutchfield.
Then where do ya'll go to buy your car audio supplies? If crutchfield is expensive and so is BB, CC then where do ya'll order it from? Just currious...thanks
Old 05-11-2004, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by LT-14me
Then where do ya'll go to buy your car audio supplies? If crutchfield is expensive and so is BB, CC then where do ya'll order it from? Just currious...thanks

Originally posted by Lower
Old 05-11-2004, 06:15 AM

Ebay, Knukoncepts, Ikesound, Partsexpress, Adire Audio, RE, Elemential Designs...

Pretty much online, I do all my own installs on my car and other peoples, and until I get a dealers license, online pricing is the BEST PERIOD...

Not to mention I don't trust ANY BB, CC people farther than I can throw them... I've seen some good work come outta there, and I've seen stuff that a 16 year old could've done a better job at. Not to mention I trust NO ONE with my car....
Old 05-11-2004, 11:12 AM

teh e10k is a max of 500 watts while the sws 1042d is 900 watts...wouldnt the alpine work better then the e10k since it has higher wattage?
Old 05-11-2004, 12:31 PM

I can't speak for the Elemental Designs subs -I've heard they're great, but when I was on the market for one, there was a 45+ day lead time. I couldn't wait that long, so I bought a Type R.
I'm happy with it.

I wouldn't put down any money on an ED without first emailing them to see what kind of lead time is applicable to the exact model you're after. But I'm impatient like that.

Quick Reply: Stealth box what sub would hit best?