Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Some insite needed on stereo install

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 AM

Some insite needed on stereo install

I have a 1994 Camaro Z28 Vert. I have a sub thump passenger side stealth box, and i am going to buy the sub thump amp rack aswel. I have 2 MTX Thunder TA amps a 400X1 @ 2 ohms and a 100x4 @ 2 ohms, and i dont know what sub to get.... Im looking at a Thunder 8500 10 because of its high excursion, and people who own it seem to really like it. I used to run a Diamond D3 however its excursion was only 10mm it didnt move a lot of air. So i was looking at the T8500 10 and noticed it wants a little more airspace sealed. .7 cu ft. The Sub Thump box has .65 cu. ft. I know this difference is small but i dont know how significant it would end up being. The eD 11OV2 sub is perfect for this box on paper. Now ive heard bad things about eD before. Needless to say im a little weary of a purchase from them. Ive heard of over excursion causing tinsels to get ripped out, glue coming undone, their amps catching fire, not honoring their warranty, etc. etc. So maybe someone could give me some in-site to this company, and their 11OV.2 product. Ive searched for reviews and have so far came up with nothing really.

Anyways moving on to other aspects of my car. So i have a set of CDT CL61's i cant remember what EXACT model but it is a CL61.. Now im wondering can these speakers be wired to 2 ohm? If i remember correctly they are 4 ohm. If not are there any CDT's or other good component 100 watt systems that will run at 2 ohms? I dont really wanna have to go get another amp.

Rear fill... Ive been wondering about some midbass speakers for the rear fill (B-Pillar speakers) Ive heard highs in the back only clutter up the sound and the only thing i should put back there is midbass if anything. So im looking for some nice midbass speakers that will take 100 watts each at 2 ohms.
I ran into the eD 7Kv.2 subs while i was doing some seraching for midbass drivers for my b pillars.. eD sure seems to have everything i need and its really starting to bug me because ive been warned about them so again i need input on eD please!! Their tech reps seem nice and helpful. Idk what to think.. Anyways the 7KV.2 shown here: http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=33

These are NOT midbass drivers. They are small subwoofers. So i wonder if they would be a good idea to get at all.. My car is a convertible. It SUCKS when i drop the top the bass pretty ends up isolated to the trunk. But it says nowhere on the site that these are free air subs so i wonder how they would sound in the b-pillar spot not having a box around them. I dont know if the mounting depth on my b pillars would even allow this but at 3.5 inches they arent that deep.. They weigh a massive 7 lbs though. The xmax is at 13mm and thats quite impressive. Anyways im curious to see if anyone has had experience with these before.. Maybe i could put those subs in the b pillar housing, get some camaro kick panels from q logic, put some 5 1/4 components in them or something, and then the midbass 6.5" in the door? Maybe i wouldent even need midbass with those idk.... HELP! lol so much i could do! But not enough knowledge or experience!!!

Head unit. Im an ipod guy, and i have to have an Ipod capable head unit. I know alpine has a unit designed specifically for the ipod but its stripped of all the features most alpines have. So im waiting to see if next years model is a little more refined. Does anyone have any suggestions in this area?

Deadening. I plan to buy some eDead SE (ive heard this stuff does get the job done pretty ok) However its not a good idea to have it exposed cause its not pretty, or to put it on areas like a trunk roof because dosnt like to hold well under heat and while im in the army, im stuck in GA... Its pretty effin hot there. So ill get a bit of that for areas that are not seen and areas it dont need to hold well like the floors and such. Ill get some second skin damplifier for the trunk lid and areas where sticking well, looking good, and maximum performance is important. Im looking at some eDead V4 aswel for other areas like inside panels and such.
One thing i am concerned about is the spoiler. Even with my Diamond, it managed to rattle my spoiler. I purchased a 96-97 SS spoiler on sale from SLP and i got the foam ring seals too. I am sure this rattle problem will still be present with the new spoiler. I have seen some talk about double sided tape on here for the spoiler needing to be replaced. Does anyone have pictures or something? Can i get this from the parts department at a local chevy dealer? Id like to fully understand this because rattle is something that really bothers me. Im sure a sub with much more excursion than that diamond will cause a lot more rattle.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 AM

Not sure if you can use the 7kv2s in the b-pillars on a convertible. I'm thinking they are too deep and the magnets would get whacked when the top goes down. What I would do (if the depth checks out okay) is get two sets of the eDi 6000 v2's. One set for up front and the other in the rear and not use the tweets. Adjust the crossovers a bit and you're done.
Old 10-24-2007, 06:54 PM

I would go with a decent component speaker for your rear fill. I have MB quart 6 1/2 midrange/bass and 1in tweets (a-pillar) upfront. I have the same speakers for my rear fill in back. I have a single mbqart 12 in sub with the crossover point fairly high for a sub.

I run the fronts off a jl amp and the rears off a smaller ls amp. That way I dont get the effect you are talking about. If I turn off the tweets in the back, I lose some of the depth in the soundstage.

My system sounds amazing. You can throw in some hard rock/metal or rap for the matter and it sounds perfect. To me having a low sub level is the key point in making it sound good. Remeber you system is only as good as its weakest link. Getting a cd player with a 110 sn/r won't matter if you get a amp with a 98 sn/r

Thats my opinion if you are after SQ. If you are after SPL, then it really doesn't matter.

Last edited by dbrown; 10-24-2007 at 06:58 PM.